Playoffs?...PLAYOFFS?!?!?

meganeck

According to Tanney they bid on a 1st & 2nd round playoff game. So does that mean that Weber St bid more? Disappointing they didn't get it, but obviously have played well on the road this year.

Tanney also said they are surprised they have to take a plane ride for the 1st round game, thought it would be an opponent close enough to bus there.
Last edited by meganeck on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
yokedneck

Congrats necks! Andrew was in Macomb this weekend for.the game and selection show.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

[thinkpurple]Leatherneck Football[/thinkpurple]
W1U

I'll be looking forward to that preview! They have some seemingly impressive wins and played Cal well.
meganeck

One of the guys on ESPN said he thought the committee takes too many teams from the MVFC, doesn't think the 4th or 5th place teams should get in over some other teams. Thought that was interesting.

Maybe I took it wrong but I don't think he was saying WIU shouldn't be in, I assume he was talking more about South Dakota.
Western_101

USD losing 4 of their last 5, is a very very bad look. They should send the committee a gift basket.
sealhall74

Win two out west and then head east. Only a two hour drive to Harrisonburg for me.
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:55 am Win two out west and then head east. Only a two hour drive to Harrisonburg for me.
Here's hoping you get to watch the 'Necks play that one in person!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

yokedneck wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:34 am Congrats necks! Andrew was in Macomb this weekend for.the game and selection show.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I thought that was him. I walked past him when I was heading out and was like "was that Andrew Nichols?". Did he come over for the weekend game and today's selection show party?

meganeck wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:41 am One of the guys on ESPN said he thought the committee takes too many teams from the MVFC, doesn't think the 4th or 5th place teams should get in over some other teams. Thought that was interesting.

Maybe I took it wrong but I don't think he was saying WIU shouldn't be in, I assume he was talking more about South Dakota.
This is correct. You can't fault the committee for taking an 8-3 MVFC team. You can argue about a 7-4 MVFC team that lost their last 3 games and their last 4 out of 5 games. Not that many other teams could have done better against that slate, but still, it's a bad way to end a regular season if you want in.
meganeck wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:34 am According to Tanney they bid on a 1st & 2nd round playoff game. So does that mean that Weber St bid more? Disappointing they didn't get it, but obviously have played well on the road this year.

Tanney also said they are surprised they have to take a plane ride for the 1st round game, thought it would be an opponent close enough to bus there.
That is correct, Weber State must have outbid us. Not entirely surprising considering the financial state of the state and how much $ we can swing at a bid. As for a bus trip, there aren't any teams they could have us play in the first round that would be a bus trip. There's a rule against first round conference rematches. UNI and USD are close enough, but would be conference rematches. I think the next closest would be Central Arkansas, and they're over 500 miles away...and the #4 seed. Austin Peay was one that a lot of people thought would be in it, and they're a bit closer than UCA, but they got left out.

Given who they chose for the playoffs, it was going to be a flight for either us or whomever we were playing.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

To me I thought delaware should have been in over NAU. I absolutely think USD deserved to be in however I do hate how they got such an easy road to the final 8 and a very winnable game against Jacksonville St.
Leatherneck309

The bad: Tough first round game. Looking at it, I think South Dakota got a great draw and would like to switch spots with them. Last 2 in get to play each other!

The good: Quick glance looks like Weber St strength on offense is to run the ball which favors our defensive strength. Nice to avoid SDSU, NDSU and JMU until at least the quarters.