WIU vs Southern Illinois (11/18/17)

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

letsgonecks wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 pm Is Tanner Hearn hurt for them as well? If not, I'd assume we see him at QB. They know their only chance to make this a game is by airing it out and he's a true QB.

We are strong against the run and weaker against the pass. Hurts them not having Straub, but they remember what they did against us last year passing the ball.

We're much improved on D and the ability to get to the QB this year should limit their attack and lead to some more sacks and picks.

WII 38 SIU 10
From interview with SIU Coach Nick Hill:
Do you think Matt DeSomer gives you the best shot and quarterback?

I do. Matt will start at quarterback. He's proven that. He's a good football player. He deserves that. Tanner did everything we asked him to do. It hasn't been an easy spot for either one of them. I'm not saying that. It's a tough spot to be thrown in, and then split time. But going forward, evaluating it, Matt gives us the best chance. He's not just a runner. He can throw the ball down the field. He has a strong arm. Given the chance, he can make throws, and we have to continue to expand that package. Both of them have to be ready to go this week. It's just like (against Youngstown State) in the second half. That wasn't designed, but Matt had to leave the game because of two injuries. He's a beat up guy. On the long run, he tweaked his knee again that's been hurt since spring ball. He's a tough kid. Tanner has to be ready to go. That could happen in the first quarter, and (Hearn) has to be ready to go. Both of them have to be ready, but Matt will start.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
letsgonecks

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:03 pm
letsgonecks wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 pm Is Tanner Hearn hurt for them as well? If not, I'd assume we see him at QB. They know their only chance to make this a game is by airing it out and he's a true QB.

We are strong against the run and weaker against the pass. Hurts them not having Straub, but they remember what they did against us last year passing the ball.

We're much improved on D and the ability to get to the QB this year should limit their attack and lead to some more sacks and picks.

WII 38 SIU 10
From interview with SIU Coach Nick Hill:
Do you think Matt DeSomer gives you the best shot and quarterback?

I do. Matt will start at quarterback. He's proven that. He's a good football player. He deserves that. Tanner did everything we asked him to do. It hasn't been an easy spot for either one of them. I'm not saying that. It's a tough spot to be thrown in, and then split time. But going forward, evaluating it, Matt gives us the best chance. He's not just a runner. He can throw the ball down the field. He has a strong arm. Given the chance, he can make throws, and we have to continue to expand that package. Both of them have to be ready to go this week. It's just like (against Youngstown State) in the second half. That wasn't designed, but Matt had to leave the game because of two injuries. He's a beat up guy. On the long run, he tweaked his knee again that's been hurt since spring ball. He's a tough kid. Tanner has to be ready to go. That could happen in the first quarter, and (Hearn) has to be ready to go. Both of them have to be ready, but Matt will start.
Well I like the sounds of that. Facing a running QB with a banged up knee and limited passing ability.....even though Hill wants to pretend otherwise. More tackles for loss early and then some sacks and picks when DeSomer is forced to pass in the second half.

Still think we'll see more Hearn early and them spreading it out and pushing the ball down field, but we'll see how it goes.
rocki

Is it supposed to stay windy all day, or is it predicted to move out with the rain? That could make things interesting.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:06 am Is it supposed to stay windy all day, or is it predicted to move out with the rain? That could make things interesting.
From Weather Underground:
Becoming partly cloudy after some morning light rain. Windy at times. Morning high of 48F with temps falling to near 35. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 60%. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph.
Looks like the windiest part of the day is going to be right when the game is going on. Overcast and in the lower 40s.

If the wind turns it into a mostly running game, I like our chances even more. Acklin might not have a huge day receiving, but he can run the ball well on a jet sweep pretty well; there's "lightning and thunder"...McShane and Norris; and of course, McGuire has shown the ability to run occasionally when necessary. Our defense is solid against the run, and if the wind knocks around a few passes, I like our chances of coming down with an INT or two.

Also, just FYI, I have to be out of town on Saturday for a funeral, so I'll have to miss this home game (probably the first I've missed in 3-4 years and I think the 11th I've missed since before the 1996 season). I plan on turning off my phone alerts and watching the game replay on ESPN3 when I get home, so if you're expecting me to chime in periodically on stuff during the game, don't be alarmed when I don't.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

Sorry for your loss, Scott.
wiu712

rocki wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:06 am Is it supposed to stay windy all day, or is it predicted to move out with the rain?
The National Weather Service was using the word "blustery" earlier in the week to describe the weather for Saturday. Now they are using the word "brisk" instead.

I am not sure what the distinction is between those two terms.
sealhall74

The hourly forecast shows temperature falling and wind increasing during the day. That is hockey weather.
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:12 pm The hourly forecast shows temperature falling and wind increasing during the day. That is hockey weather.
Is it only "Packer Weather" when it's also snowing? (I read a reference to "Packer Weather" in the book "Brian's Song" back in the day)
wiu712

Your football ticket will also get you into Saturday night's Men's basketball game: vs Calvary University at 7PM.
wiu712

WIU closes regular season with revenge on its mind.
From WGEM Sports with Ben Marth:
http://www.wgem.com/story/36865924/2017 ... n-its-mind

MACOMB GROWN, WESTERN TOUGH: Brett Taylor rises from Bomber to Leatherneck leader.
From today's McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... eck-leader