Charlie Fisher

LocalYokelFan

Fisher gone!? So much for that I wanna be a head coach, want to build something here baloney. It was never a good sign when his house went up for sale at the beginning of the season. STILL think Yelk was the right choice.
sealhall74

Cant blame Charlie. Who in their right mind could turn down an offer like that to work in Phoenix? When you got a good coach, don't expect to keep them for too long. It is a business.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

LocalYokelFan wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:07 pm Fisher gone!? So much for that I wanna be a head coach, want to build something here baloney. It was never a good sign when his house went up for sale at the beginning of the season. STILL think Yelk was the right choice.
Chill out man. We don't know anything for sure yet.
For those who don't know, there's a rumor that Fisher will be hired as the new WR coach at Arizona State (https://247sports.com/college/arizona-s ... -112613704)
I'm not saying it's not true, I don't really know, but none of my usual sources have mentioned anything about it yet. For now, I'd say to take this one with a grain of salt.

Also, this doesn't have anything to do with recruits, so I split it out to a separate topic.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

I'd say he is gone, Usually stuff that like doesn't get reported unless its true. In a way you can't blame him but it still is not ideal.
wiu712

Well this news does explain the story that was going around the Gym last week that all of the assistants were looking for another job.
GV Dad

Awesome timing.
rocki

What the heck??? Didn't coaches used to stick around for a while? At least more than 2 or 3 years?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:35 pm I'd say he is gone, Usually stuff that like doesn't get reported unless its true. In a way you can't blame him but it still is not ideal.
Unfortunately you're probably right. Can't blame him for taking the job, but it is disappointing.
wiu712 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:55 pm Well this news does explain the story that was going around the Gym last week that all of the assistants were looking for another job.
Really? We're not going to look at trying to retain the existing staff? We've got some great coaches and I can't imagine that a WR coach is going to have a huge amount of say in who else joins a coaching staff. Maybe one or two guys could go with him, but for continuity, I'd think it would make sense to make an offer to Doug Malone or Tony Grantham.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:55 pm Well this news does explain the story that was going around the Gym last week that all of the assistants were looking for another job.
Reminds me of a story they supposedly tell all of the new plebes at West Point. The 4-star Superintendent gives them all an orientation briefing and informs them that only 5 of the incoming class (usually about 1000) will ever make the rank of General. He pauses for a few moments, gazing across the auditorium. Seeing nothing out of the ordinary, he jumps all over them for not standing up and looking around to see who the other four are.

Moral of the story: You better want to be here really badly and strive to become your best or get out of town now.

Update: The Superintendent is only a 3-star usually.
Embrace the pace of the race.
GV Dad

Cart before the horse, but Coach Elliott is the most impressive among the Assistants. Already Asst HC, why wouldn't it be him? Hopefully it's not true though.