Charlie Fisher

LocalYokelFan

How the mood has changed over the past couple of years. A few years ago many on this Board DIDN'T want to hire from within, now we should. I really don't want to dig out those old message board quotes, so please don't motivate me to.

I guess I trust our AD at this point. He's been around football long enough that I think he can make a good hire. Coach Fisher turned out to be a good hire, even if he wasn't here as long as we would have all liked. I'd love to have a coach that could win here often and stick around long enough to see a couple of recruiting classes enter and graduate. I'm beginning to think those are two things that are mutually exclusive though.

My one concern, and I think this is just a general concern at the FCS level, is that we don't know much about Coach Fisher's recruits. I'd be interested to know if any of his high school recruits have even seen the playing field yet. They could be world beaters, they could be duds, from my understanding, we just don't know much about them yet other than most of them redshirted last year.

We will see! Get us someone good, AD Tanney!
leatherneckcountry

LocalYokelFan wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:45 pm How the mood has changed over the past couple of years. A few years ago many on this Board DIDN'T want to hire from within, now we should. I really don't want to dig out those old message board quotes, so please don't motivate me to.

I guess I trust our AD at this point. He's been around football long enough that I think he can make a good hire. Coach Fisher turned out to be a good hire, even if he wasn't here as long as we would have all liked. I'd love to have a coach that could win here often and stick around long enough to see a couple of recruiting classes enter and graduate. I'm beginning to think those are two things that are mutually exclusive though.

My one concern, and I think this is just a general concern at the FCS level, is that we don't know much about Coach Fisher's recruits. I'd be interested to know if any of his high school recruits have even seen the playing field yet. They could be world beaters, they could be duds, from my understanding, we just don't know much about them yet other than most of them redshirted last year.

It's because people actually like members of this staff.
leatherneckcountry

leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:48 pm
LocalYokelFan wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:45 pm How the mood has changed over the past couple of years. A few years ago many on this Board DIDN'T want to hire from within, now we should. I really don't want to dig out those old message board quotes, so please don't motivate me to.

It's because people actually like members of this staff that is my one concern is we did bring in a lot of kids that WIU was there only D1 offer
LocalYokelFan

leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:48 pm It's because people actually like members of this staff.
I'm really not trying to be a jag-off here, but really? What did your liking this coaching staff more result in? Did Leatherneck Nation like them enough to get us a deeper playoff run? Did you like them enough to afford the DIA with enough money to fund a 1st round playoff game (which this team deserved)? Did LNN like them enough to fill the stadium week in and week out? Did your "liking" them fill the coffers of the DIA enough to fund the staff pools enough that they WOULDN'T leave for FBS position coaching jobs!?

Look, I also like THIS staff, just like I liked the last staff. But the notion that "liking them more" has substantially impacted where we are as a program is tough to see at this point. Maybe I'm wrong, but the naked "local yokel" fan eye hasn't seen all that much benefit from all this "liking" going on.

I re-read this post before I clicked "submit" and I want to end a little differently. I think Coach Fisher and his staff have done incredible jobs to accomplish what they have. The cards stacked against them (State finances, enrollment decline, etc.) isn't for the faint of heart and they've performed awesome. But again, I don't believe for a minute fans "liking them more" had anything to do with those successes.
rocki

Even if we were their only D1 offer, he apparently saw something in them. I'm guessing if he saw it, the rest of the staff has at least an inkling of where he was going with it, and they figure those recruits would fit in with the type of game they were going to be working toward. As long as we don't get someone who does a complete 180, I think it's worth stepping back and seeing how it plays out. Just my thoughts, anyway.
rocki

LocalYokelFan wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:23 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:48 pm It's because people actually like members of this staff.
I'm really not trying to be a jag-off here, but really? What did your liking this coaching staff more result in? Did Leatherneck Nation like them enough to get us a deeper playoff run? Did you like them enough to afford the DIA with enough money to fund a 1st round playoff game (which this team deserved)? Did LNN like them enough to fill the stadium week in and week out? Did your "liking" them fill the coffers of the DIA enough to fund the staff pools enough that they WOULDN'T leave for FBS position coaching jobs!?

Look, I also like THIS staff, just like I liked the last staff. But the notion that "liking them more" has substantially impacted where we are as a program is tough to see at this point. Maybe I'm wrong, but the naked "local yokel" fan eye hasn't seen all that much benefit from all this "liking" going on.

I re-read this post before I clicked "submit" and I want to end a little differently. I think Coach Fisher and his staff have done incredible jobs to accomplish what they have. The cards stacked against them (State finances, enrollment decline, etc.) isn't for the faint of heart and they've performed awesome. But again, I don't believe for a minute fans "liking them more" had anything to do with those successes.

Nobody said it has to do more with their success, just that they are more willing to have them stick around because they like them. Maybe I'm just not understanding the point of your post.
leatherneckcountry

rocki wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:28 pm
LocalYokelFan wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:23 pm

Nobody said it has to do more with their success, just that they are more willing to have them stick around because they like them. Maybe I'm just not understanding the point of your post.
Me neither that was what I was referring to when you wanted to know why peoples opinion was different this time around.
meganeck

I wonder if Tanney asked him to hold off to try to put something together, to try to keep him here.

I think you have to do a national search and see what kind of candidates you get and see who internally would want the job. I think most people last time thought they should just promote from within and we ended up with Coach Fisher. Like I said previously, that was the one thing that worried me when Fisher was hired is that he never seemed to stay in one spot for very long, but then again I don't the know circumstances on each move either.

I think the NCAA is going to have to do something about this early signing period.. Arizona recruits just got screwed also. Most coaching changes are done by Feb.

With also this being said if they do look internally, I would think Coach Elliott would be at the top of the list
leatherneckcountry

If we do stay in house is an interim basis or do they just get the job straight up.
leatherneckcountry

Press conference tomorrow at 10