HC Jared Elliott

GV Dad

vatusay wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:01 am Well it seems like i may be the only skeptic on here....

His complete lack of experience is pretty worrisome to me. This is the MVFC. The best FCS conference in the country and better than a few FBS conferences.

It seems like the players and media really like him so that is a plus. (and it is nice to hear that recent signees parent's are happy with the hire)

The whole staff stays in place to help him along is a big positive.

I really hope I am wrong and he proves to be a great hire of a young "up and coming" coach. He seems like a genuine person in his introduction presser.

Really wishing good luck to the Head Ball Coach Elliott!
I think your statements are fair. The biggest risk for a first time HC I think, is being able to let go of the duties they had as an Asst. His leadership qualities are a big asset, and will carry over, but I think he needs another mind as the OC. Time will tell. I share your hope that he will become the "up and coming" Coach, and we are catching him early. :-)
rocki

Everybody has to start somewhere, and Elliott has been around the program and knows the team already. It's not like completely starting from scratch (if I interpreted his remarks correctly).

I'm willing to give him a fair shot - and we have to remember that we are losing some veteran players to grad, so it might seem like a little more of an uphill climb than it actually is. He said it's not a stepping stone for him and I'm interested to see how well we can build a program when we have some consistency.
vatusay

Yes I understand the “start somewhere” argument, but going from a grad assistant to head coach of a MVFC in a few years is quite a leap. Definitely not impossible though and it sounds like he realizes this. I appreciate the fact that he talked about it during press conference and the media members after.

Many times hires like this in other fields turn out to be perfect and I certainly hope that is the case for WIU.
#ALLIN #YOLO
leatherneckcountry

Coach Hodges and grantham aren't listed any more.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:07 am
vatusay wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:01 am Well it seems like i may be the only skeptic on here....

His complete lack of experience is pretty worrisome to me. This is the MVFC. The best FCS conference in the country and better than a few FBS conferences.

It seems like the players and media really like him so that is a plus. (and it is nice to hear that recent signees parent's are happy with the hire)

The whole staff stays in place to help him along is a big positive.

I really hope I am wrong and he proves to be a great hire of a young "up and coming" coach. He seems like a genuine person in his introduction presser.

Really wishing good luck to the Head Ball Coach Elliott!
I think your statements are fair. The biggest risk for a first time HC I think, is being able to let go of the duties they had as an Asst. His leadership qualities are a big asset, and will carry over, but I think he needs another mind as the OC. Time will tell. I share your hope that he will become the "up and coming" Coach, and we are catching him early. :-)
I agree with this. He is unproven in that role at this point and it's hard to say how that'll play out once the cleats hit the turf next fall. It seems like things will go similarly to how Coach Fisher ran things and with his playcalling style, but we don't really know for sure right now.

I like the fact that there is a continuity of the staff and not a "clean sweep" of completely new people because it sure looked like we were headed in the right direction the last few years.

I like that many of the current players and recruits really seem to like and respect Elliott.

I like that he made a point to emphasize his desire to be here long-term and really build the program up.

But he is unproven and somewhat inexperienced for a DI head football coach. Like most, I'm hoping that all the other positives will end up leading to on-field success, but given the situation that we were in, I think that going with Coach Elliott is probably the option most likely to result in a continuation of the success and type of football that we've seen over the last couple of years. I'm more than happy to give him a shot and see if we can't "luck out" on getting a really good coach for quite a few years.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:14 pm Coach Hodges and grantham aren't listed any more.
[tweet][/tweet]
LeatherCy

So where did Grantham go? Was it Hodges choice to leave??
WIU02

IMG_2174.PNG
IMG_2174.PNG (219.08 KiB) Viewed 5491 times
Not being retained or they have left on their own accord? Not sure.
sealhall74

Maybe "Macomb Grown" has some really deep roots. Based on his MS pursuit, I would say he wants to stay in sports.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:Maybe "Macomb Grown" has some really deep roots. Based on his MS pursuit, I would say he wants to stay in sports.
It's very possible he could get into coaching eventually, but I think he's planning on giving the NFL a shot first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk