Who will be the DC

leatherneckcountry

Wondering if they will name someone on staff or look elsewhere my guess would be elsewhere.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:41 pm Wondering if they will name someone on staff or look elsewhere my guess would be elsewhere.
That'd be my guess too. Probably will need to put out an open call for applications. Fisher had a lot of connections around college football to draw from, but I'm guessing Elliott's connections are somewhat more limited.

Anyone have any thoughts on who they'd like to see? Defensive assistant from FBS...DC or defensive-minded HC from DII...Lovie Smith :lol:...someone else entirely?

At the DII level, the two best defensive teams are Northwest Missouri State and University of Sioux Falls (SD).
NWMS's HC Rich Wright is essentially their defensive coordinator: http://bearcatsports.com/coaches.aspx?r ... h=football
USF's HC Jon Anderson is also defensive-minded, having been their DC for a while: http://usfcougars.com/coaches.aspx?rc=449&path=football
and their current DC Nick Benedetto spent 2 years as the safeties coach at South Dakota and is originally from Crystal Lake, IL: http://usfcougars.com/coaches.aspx?rc=451&path=football

From the FBS level...what kind of guy are we looking for? A solid assistant coach (non-DC) to step up to a FCS DC position? It's kinda hard for me to figure that part out because if you've got a really good assistant, they could step up to the DC role at an FBS...so are you looking for "good but not great"...or what?
Will Elliott use his Miami connections to try to bring in a guy like John Hauser (Co-DC at Miami OH): http://www.miamiredhawks.com/sports/m-f ... 61413.html

Probably just kind of a crap shoot at this point.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

On a sad note, we can't get Luther Van Dam.....Jerry Van Dyke has passed away. Enjoyed him in "Coach". :cry:
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote:On a sad note, we can't get Luther Van Dam.....Jerry Van Dyke has passed away. Enjoyed him in "Coach". :cry:
Very entertaining actor in quite a few comedic roles and a Danville, IL native.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leatherneckcountry

I don't really see good D2 coaches coming up to the FCS just to be a good coordinator
leatherneckcountry

rocki wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:39 pm On a sad note, we can't get Luther Van Dam.....Jerry Van Dyke has passed away. Enjoyed him in "Coach". :cry:
Yeah i recently bought the entire series.
GV Dad

Hopefully Coach Elliott doesn't share Coach Fisher's passion for the 3-4. And we get someone to take us back to the 4-3
leatherneckcountry

GV Dad wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:08 am Hopefully Coach Elliott doesn't share Coach Fisher's passion for the 3-4. And we get someone to take us back to the 4-3
We were actually much better in the 4-3 last year and knowing what we have back next year I think we have to stick with the 4-3
GV Dad

I hope Stockton and Melvin return.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote:I hope Stockton and Melvin return.
Other than hiring a couple of guys to replace the two who are already gone, I doubt we'll see much (if any) more changes to the coaching staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk