New RedShirt rule proposed

GV Dad

NCAA and Coaches are kicking around the idea of allowing kids to play in 4 games and still have the option of redshirting. Personally, I love the idea. Great for player development and retention.
WIU11DC

Sounds like a great idea! But for reference what is the rule now?
GV Dad

Other than medical, I don't think you play a down without burning the red shirt. I could be wrong, but I believe this is the rule.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:08 pm Other than medical, I don't think you play a down without burning the red shirt. I could be wrong, but I believe this is the rule.
I believe that is correct. If you play 3 or fewer games and are injured enough to be "out for the season" then you can get a medical redshirt, but otherwise...no playing. That's the way I understand it anyway.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

If they pass it, I foresee a whole lot of true freshman, especially the speedy ones, used solely on special teams play.
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU11DC

Thanks for the clarifications! I really like the new rule (or proposed one) but won't that also hurt our recruiting a little as well? For me, (please correct me if I am wrong) but one of the things going for our recruiting (outside of the many, many great things about WIU, and our football tradition) is that we (FCS as a whole) have smaller rosters so they (incoming freshman) would have a better chance to play as a true freshman than in most FBS programs. But, if FBS is allowed to play true freshman for four games and then sit them for the year, I could see a freshman taking the FBS scholarship to play four games and then hope to be a starter the next year. Now, the only exception to that narrative in my head is that the four games have to be the first four games of the teams schedule for that year or is it four total games in the year?
GV Dad

WIU11DC wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:00 pm Thanks for the clarifications! I really like the new rule (or proposed one) but won't that also hurt our recruiting a little as well? For me, (please correct me if I am wrong) but one of the things going for our recruiting (outside of the many, many great things about WIU, and our football tradition) is that we (FCS as a whole) have smaller rosters so they (incoming freshman) would have a better chance to play as a true freshman than in most FBS programs. But, if FBS is allowed to play true freshman for four games and then sit them for the year, I could see a freshman taking the FBS scholarship to play four games and then hope to be a starter the next year. Now, the only exception to that narrative in my head is that the four games have to be the first four games of the teams schedule for that year or is it four total games in the year?
I don't think it would hurt recruiting at the FCS level. If a kid has an FBS offer he's likely taking it over and FCS offer. FBS is a for sure full ride, they have 85 schollys to give as opposed to 63 FCS, plus cost of living stipend. Not to mention playing on TV, in front of 45-100,000 fans. Not redshirting really doesn't factor in the decision.

As far as which games, they said that was still up in the air. But most likely any 4 games of the season.
Leatherneck57

Both the FBS and FCS can now bring 105 kids to fall camp. This rule was changed last year because of the number of FBS v.s. FCS games scheduled. It allows for more Preferred Walk On’s. That’s why Leatherneck Football renovated the locker room last summer.

LN57
Tere North

GV Dad wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:43 pm Most likely any 4 games of the season.
Somehow that doesn't seem right. I would expect it would be deciding to redshirt after the 4th game of the season. Otherwise, you could have an practice player enter the last 4 games of the season, e.g., a championship run, and then still be declared a redshirt.
GV Dad

Tere North wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:55 pm
GV Dad wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:43 pm Most likely any 4 games of the season.
Somehow that doesn't seem right. I would expect it would be deciding to redshirt after the 4th game of the season. Otherwise, you could have an practice player enter the last 4 games of the season, e.g., a championship run, and then still be declared a redshirt.
A lot of FBS folks are pushing for the kids to be able to play in Bowl games and still keep a redshirt. It makes since, as they say the Bowl practices, especially the lower tier bowls, are used for development more than preparation.