Favorite Game Day routine

GV Dad
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:04 am

Bored at work on a Friday, obviously. What are your favorite things about Macomb on game day? Do you tailgate or is there a favorite bar/restaurant you go too? Either before or after. We've been to Sports Corner and Gelsosomo's (I think is the spelling?) Liked them both.
Hoping some of you Veterans can help out us rookies!
User avatar
ST_Lawson
Site Admin
Posts: 4734
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Macomb, IL
Contact:

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:49 am

It's not specifically a "gameday" routine for me, but if you've never tried one, at some point you need to try a horseshoe. It was created in Springfield, IL, but Macomb has two restaurants that make phenomenal ones.
This will give you a basic idea if you're not familiar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_sandwich

I highly recommend the breaded tenderloin horseshoe (or pony, if you're not incredibly hungry) from the Jackson Street Pub: https://goo.gl/maps/JGof7RfGf7n
and the Buffalo Chicken horseshoe from Chubbys, on the square: https://goo.gl/maps/5jHHcVdASVo

Might be a good stop for dinner after a game if you're staying overnight and heading back on Sunday.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
vatusay
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:14 pm

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:51 am

Sounds like you checked both boxes for game-day. Tailgating and Sports Corner.

I would highly recommend grabbing a bite to eat at Chicks on the square if you haven't already! Not as much of game day feel or "routine" but the food is one of the top two on my list. Its still got a "sporty feel" with adequate TVs and more of a bar and grill atmosphere but the food puts it over the top.

EDIT: X2 on a pony or horseshoe from the pub, Scott. Just make sure your equilibrium is up to par if you need to use the restroom! Lol.
#ALLIN #YOLO
huskie
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:42 pm

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:04 am

Tailgating, Tailgating, Tailgating! Then Sports Corner after the game.
GV Dad
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:24 am

ST_Lawson wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:49 am
It's not specifically a "gameday" routine for me, but if you've never tried one, at some point you need to try a horseshoe. It was created in Springfield, IL, but Macomb has two restaurants that make phenomenal ones.
This will give you a basic idea if you're not familiar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_sandwich

I highly recommend the breaded tenderloin horseshoe (or pony, if you're not incredibly hungry) from the Jackson Street Pub: https://goo.gl/maps/JGof7RfGf7n
and the Buffalo Chicken horseshoe from Chubbys, on the square: https://goo.gl/maps/5jHHcVdASVo

Might be a good stop for dinner after a game if you're staying overnight and heading back on Sunday.
How have I never never heard of this gooey pile of goodness! Sometimes I swear I am a horrible excuse for a fat guy! Definitely on the list now.
vatusay
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:14 pm

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:31 am

oh boy. a good horseshoe is life changing. (in regards to life-expectancy)
#ALLIN #YOLO
User avatar
ST_Lawson
Site Admin
Posts: 4734
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Macomb, IL
Contact:

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:38 pm

vatusay wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:31 am
oh boy. a good horseshoe is life changing. (in regards to life-expectancy)
Yea, I don't eat them often (I'd like to live to see my grandkids), but I don't think there's anything wrong with indulging once a month or so. Some seriously good food. And in general, horseshoes are pretty huge. I've only eaten a full horseshoe maybe a couple of times. Usually I go for a pony (half horseshoe) and that's plenty.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
vatusay
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:14 pm

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:13 pm

Lol oh yea. I hope no one has them every meal. Im guilty of never ordering a pony....

Macomb actually has quite a few delicious food establishments.

My top 5:

Vitales
Chicks
Pub
Guad
BWW
#ALLIN #YOLO
GV Dad
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:23 pm

Do you guys know if they allow RVs overnight in the parking lot? I saw several there game day, but wasn't sure if they only allowed them day of.
User avatar
ST_Lawson
Site Admin
Posts: 4734
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Macomb, IL
Contact:

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:50 pm

GV Dad wrote:Do you guys know if they allow RVs overnight in the parking lot? I saw several there game day, but wasn't sure if they only allowed them day of.
I don't know the actual rule, but I do know I've seen RVs park there the night before games before.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Post Reply