Favorite Game Day routine

GV Dad
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:25 am

We're coming in town this weekend for my son's official visit. Going to try and get to Jackson St Pub for a tenderloin horseshoe!
wiu712
Posts: 3532
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:05 pm

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:46 am

GV Dad wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:25 am
We're coming in town this weekend for my son's official visit. Going to try and get to Jackson Street Pub for a tenderloin horseshoe!
https://www.facebook.com/Jackson-Street ... 855560384/
User avatar
sealhall74
Posts: 3207
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:18 pm
Location: Wherever, Windblows

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:27 am

GV Dad, I am sure you will be well taken care of by the Athletic Department. FYI, I don't think the university bookstore is open on Saturdays or Sundays except on special weekends. Where does a guy get team apparel in town now? Gumbart's on the square appears to still be in business.
I blame them for ruining my grade point average by selling me that top of the line ping pong paddle back in 1974 but damn was that a good paddle. We took ping pong pretty seriously in Seal Hall. I loaned the paddle to fellow student from China who liked to hold the paddle a bit funny (upside down) to most of us. He was by far the best in the hall and if you played him, he would always keep the game close but eventually win. He took a dive for a ball with my paddle and broke the handle off. He felt so bad about it. To me, just stuff and nothing that could not be replaced, Gumbart's had another.
If Jimmy V was a programmer like me, he would have said it like this: while (!(succeed = try()));
wiu712
Posts: 3532
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:05 pm

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:46 am

sealhall74 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:27 am
Where does a guy get team apparel in town now?
You can go to Hibbett Sports on East Jackson. However Hibbett does have to correct their website. They have us listed as the "Western Illinois Fighting Illini". :lol:
https://www.hibbett.com/storedetails/IL/Macomb/557

The Macomb Walmart also has a section of Western apparel.
GV Dad
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:23 pm

Just got the Official visit schedule. Parents dinner at Chubby's Friday night. Looking forward to my first Shoe! :)
User avatar
RedNeck
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:09 pm
Location: East Peoria

Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:32 pm

I was introduced to a menu item called the "horseshoe" at Jackson Street Pub in the fall of 1995. I liked it.

Horseshoes seem to be only in a Subculture of Illinois that is more Centrally located around Springfield. I can tell you that it does not exist in it's pure form in Peoria or Bloomington. If you see Nacho cheese run!
Last edited by RedNeck on Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
sealhall74
Posts: 3207
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:18 pm
Location: Wherever, Windblows

Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:46 pm

You can get one in the Quad Cities (Ross' Restaurant) but they call it the "Magic Mountain". I usually stay in Bettendorf when I visit, Ross' is only a couple of miles away from my hotel. Next time I come to town, I will be checking it out there and in Macomb for a detailed food review.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... /76383636/
If Jimmy V was a programmer like me, he would have said it like this: while (!(succeed = try()));
tjk1985
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:08 pm

Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:48 pm

sealhall74 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:27 am
GV Dad, I am sure you will be well taken care of by the Athletic Department. FYI, I don't think the university bookstore is open on Saturdays or Sundays except on special weekends. Where does a guy get team apparel in town now? Gumbart's on the square appears to still be in business.
When we came in for our official last month, they took us to the bookstore on Saturday and had a few employees there to help us buy some gear.
User avatar
ST_Lawson
Site Admin
Posts: 4549
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Macomb, IL
Contact:

Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:19 pm

sealhall74 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:46 pm
You can get one in the Quad Cities (Ross' Restaurant) but they call it the "Magic Mountain". I usually stay in Bettendorf when I visit, Ross' is only a couple of miles away from my hotel. Next time I come to town, I will be checking it out there and in Macomb for a detailed food review.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... /76383636/
I've been to Ross' before, but it's been maybe 25 years and I know I didn't have that. Looks like the "Magic Mountain" is just a loosemeat horseshoe. Not sure if they have as many toppings as I usually see on a horseshoe though (I like mine with bacon and tomatoes, personally).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:39 pm

ST_Lawson wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:19 pm
sealhall74 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:46 pm
You can get one in the Quad Cities (Ross' Restaurant) but they call it the "Magic Mountain". I usually stay in Bettendorf when I visit, Ross' is only a couple of miles away from my hotel. Next time I come to town, I will be checking it out there and in Macomb for a detailed food review.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... /76383636/
I've been to Ross' before, but it's been maybe 25 years and I know I didn't have that. Looks like the "Magic Mountain" is just a loosemeat horseshoe. Not sure if they have as many toppings as I usually see on a horseshoe though (I like mine with bacon and tomatoes, personally).
Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes?
Post Reply