56%
No Chance
33%

Total votes: 9
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:07 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:26 pm
RedNeck wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:11 pm NDSU needs to join the Big XII already this is starting to get ridiculous (maybe they can take SDSU with them too). :D
If it were only that easy. They would jump on the possibility in a heartbeat, I bet. Problem is, you don't get to go FBS without a conference invite. Big XII is not going to invite them up. If the old WAC was still around (Nevada, Boise State, Wyoming, etc.) and they still had football...then they'd have a good chance, but right now there's just no G5 conferences nearby that would invite them up.
How bout Mountain West? Boise State, Utah State, Wyoming, Colorado State, ....... I think that is doable. Comparable travel to what UND does/did in Big Sky.

I guess Western could move to the OVC. The 'Necks would likely be champs every other year splitting with JSU.
Still the issue with no invite. As far as I (and all the NDSU fans that I know over on the AGS board) know, NDSU has never received an invite to any FBS conference. Therefore...they can not go FBS. No matter how much they might want to.

Personally, I like the MVFC...competing with the best of the FCS. Sure, we could win the OVC or get second...but #2 in the OVC usually doesn't make the playoffs and rarely does a team from the OVC get very far in the playoffs. They're not "battle tested"...they don't play against playoff-worthy teams week in and week out. We do. Now, this year, we pretty much got screwed by the playoff committee and faced off against one of the best teams in the playoffs (the AGS end-of-season poll ranked them #4)...they very nearly took down James Madison (at JMU)...the team that gave NDSU just about everything they could handle and if not for a few dropped passes, would have been the FCS champions this year. We play any other of the non-seeded teams and we win and we're on to round 2. In the MVFC, we can finish 3rd...4th...sometimes even 5th (depending on OOC record) and still make the playoffs (and usually both #1 and #2 in the MVFC get seeded).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

Very good points Mr. Lawson. I was pretty miffed about the committee sending our 'Necks to Weber State. Maybe it was a make up call for matching us up with a Pioneer team last time out.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:52 pm Very good points Mr. Lawson. I was pretty miffed about the committee sending our 'Necks to Weber State. Maybe it was a make up call for matching us up with a Pioneer team last time out.
Ha....I hadn't thought about that. Maybe next year we get another easy opponent ;)
I'd like to request one Central Connecticut State please.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU11DC

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:31 pm
RedNeck wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:07 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:26 pm

If it were only that easy. They would jump on the possibility in a heartbeat, I bet. Problem is, you don't get to go FBS without a conference invite. Big XII is not going to invite them up. If the old WAC was still around (Nevada, Boise State, Wyoming, etc.) and they still had football...then they'd have a good chance, but right now there's just no G5 conferences nearby that would invite them up.
How bout Mountain West? Boise State, Utah State, Wyoming, Colorado State, ....... I think that is doable. Comparable travel to what UND does/did in Big Sky.

I guess Western could move to the OVC. The 'Necks would likely be champs every other year splitting with JSU.
Still the issue with no invite. As far as I (and all the NDSU fans that I know over on the AGS board) know, NDSU has never received an invite to any FBS conference. Therefore...they can not go FBS. No matter how much they might want to.

Personally, I like the MVFC...competing with the best of the FCS. Sure, we could win the OVC or get second...but #2 in the OVC usually doesn't make the playoffs and rarely does a team from the OVC get very far in the playoffs. They're not "battle tested"...they don't play against playoff-worthy teams week in and week out. We do. Now, this year, we pretty much got screwed by the playoff committee and faced off against one of the best teams in the playoffs (the AGS end-of-season poll ranked them #4)...they very nearly took down James Madison (at JMU)...the team that gave NDSU just about everything they could handle and if not for a few dropped passes, would have been the FCS champions this year. We play any other of the non-seeded teams and we win and we're on to round 2. In the MVFC, we can finish 3rd...4th...sometimes even 5th (depending on OOC record) and still make the playoffs (and usually both #1 and #2 in the MVFC get seeded).

100% AGREE. I'd rather play the best, recruit the best to beat the best, than win a conference that the MVFC laughs at. This year, we had a fantastic year, and because of a crappy draw we didn't make it past the first round. Like Lawson said, Weber was #4 in the AGS final standings. I still think we were in the top 10 of last year too but had a real bad draw. It is what it is, but I would rather stay in the MVFC and win a conference championship once ever ten years than win a conference championship in a lower tier FCS conference every other year. You play the best to be the best.