Football Recruits - 2019

WIU2DC

Damon Bonds says on Twitter he is a WIU JUCO transfer but he isn’t listed in the 2019 recruitment class. Is he already enrolled at WIU so he isn’t technically apart of the class or what? His tape from JUCO looks great, plus with that freshman from Kansas, and our RBs already on the team we have some potential for some really good depth this year and the coming years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wiu712

There is a Damon Bonds listed in the Student Directory.
WIU2DC

wiu712 wrote:There is a Damon Bonds listed in the Student Directory.

Awesome. Just curious to know why he wasn’t listed on our list today from WIU Football as he wasn’t on the team last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leatherneckcountry

Was also wondering about Ben Nauman as it sounds like he signed but nothing was ever mentioned about him.
Neckfansince71

The whole process of recruiting football athletes is very "cat and mouse!" Basically not wise I guess to show everyone your hand until its time to "sign!" Same thing appears true about transfers but it is even more secretive until spring practice begins and then that information becomes public. ;) jc
sealhall74

Maybe a very wise coach might tell a kid "Son, you need to earn your way onto my team in the classroom first". Maybe. ;)
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:54 am Was also wondering about Ben Nauman as it sounds like he signed but nothing was ever mentioned about him.
He's not listed on the signing day roster, but Coach Boudreaux posted this on twitter:

Also, Damon Bonds is a transfer from Fort Scott CC, so he'd have a little more flexibility in his schedule...when he can start school and when he can start practicing with the team.
Like others have said though, maybe he's struggled with grades a bit and the coaching staff wants him to prove he can do well enough in the classroom first. Probably would still get to do spring practices, I'd imagine.

Otherwise, no real surprises. I think that's everyone I had down as verbally committed to WIU, plus one more that I must have missed or just didn't have on my list.
I'll probably run through everyone else that we offered over the next day or two to see where they ended up.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
xman

Not sure what protocol is for parents of players being on a message board, but I'll give it a try. lol I've enjoyed college football messages boards in the past and know how die hard fans can be, but I know Leatherneck fans are far superior to most. :) Anyways, super excited to be a Leatherneck and can't wait for my son to get to Macomb in June. Go Leathernecks......
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

xman wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:13 am Not sure what protocol is for parents of players being on a message board, but I'll give it a try. lol I've enjoyed college football messages boards in the past and know how die hard fans can be, but I know Leatherneck fans are far superior to most. :) Anyways, super excited to be a Leatherneck and can't wait for my son to get to Macomb in June. Go Leathernecks......
According to the NCAA, those of us who are fans/supporters/boosters, are not technically supposed to talk to (including facebook, twitter, texting, etc.) kids or their families until they have signed and submitted their NLI's. That's really in place to prevent most of the "big boys" from having hordes of influential supporters contacting kids or their families to convince them to go to that school. It's much less of an issue with most schools at the FCS (or lower) level, but it is technically the rule. I think it's probably fine if a parent of a player pops on a message board to say hi, since we, as fans, are not the ones initiating contact. Once the NLI is signed and sent in though, I don't think there's any issue.

We've had a decent number of player parents join up and be active participants on the message board. GV Dad, Tmelker, and I think tjk1985 are all fathers of current players, and I know of at least a few others over the last few years that have spent a decent amount of time on here while their kids were on the team. We always welcome input and the perspective that you guys can bring, as well as any "inside info" that you're allowed to share (don't go getting anyone in trouble though). You're welcome to introduce yourself and who your kid is if you want, but don't feel like you have to...just whatever you're comfortable sharing. You've probably realized by now that when it comes to the student-athletes themselves, we're pretty positive and supportive. When they succeed both in the classroom and on the field, it makes us all look better.

Also, I'd highly recommend talking to some of the parents of last year's freshmen class (the previously mentioned users are part of that) if you haven't already. They did an awesome job of getting organized for tailgating at games and things and I had a great time hanging out and talking with them at a couple of the home games. Their group of tents even won "tailgaters of the game" at one of the games. If you happen to live near one/some of them, you guys might even be able to figure out carpools or whatever to make travel to some of the games easier.

Anyway, we're glad to have you. There's a few of us around here who have been following Leatherneck Football for quite a while, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask, and I hope to see you at some of the games over the next few years.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
xman

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:55 am
According to the NCAA, those of us who are fans/supporters/boosters, are not technically supposed to talk to (including facebook, twitter, texting, etc.) kids or their families until they have signed and submitted their NLI's. That's really in place to prevent most of the "big boys" from having hordes of influential supporters contacting kids or their families to convince them to go to that school. It's much less of an issue with most schools at the FCS (or lower) level, but it is technically the rule. I think it's probably fine if a parent of a player pops on a message board to say hi, since we, as fans, are not the ones initiating contact. Once the NLI is signed and sent in though, I don't think there's any issue.

We've had a decent number of player parents join up and be active participants on the message board. GV Dad, Tmelker, and I think tjk1985 are all fathers of current players, and I know of at least a few others over the last few years that have spent a decent amount of time on here while their kids were on the team. We always welcome input and the perspective that you guys can bring, as well as any "inside info" that you're allowed to share (don't go getting anyone in trouble though). You're welcome to introduce yourself and who your kid is if you want, but don't feel like you have to...just whatever you're comfortable sharing. You've probably realized by now that when it comes to the student-athletes themselves, we're pretty positive and supportive. When they succeed both in the classroom and on the field, it makes us all look better.

Also, I'd highly recommend talking to some of the parents of last year's freshmen class (the previously mentioned users are part of that) if you haven't already. They did an awesome job of getting organized for tailgating at games and things and I had a great time hanging out and talking with them at a couple of the home games. Their group of tents even won "tailgaters of the game" at one of the games. If you happen to live near one/some of them, you guys might even be able to figure out carpools or whatever to make travel to some of the games easier.

Anyway, we're glad to have you. There's a few of us around here who have been following Leatherneck Football for quite a while, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask, and I hope to see you at some of the games over the next few years.
Great info Scott, and thanks for letting me know there are other player parents on the board. I'll send them a few messages and introduce myself, as I will be interested in hanging out in the "Q lot". ha