Football Recruits - 2019

vatusay

What is the strategy behind not announcing the signings? High school kids surely are excited for it to be on social media to show friends and family. Could it almost hurt recruiting?
#ALLIN #YOLO
leatherneckcountry

vatusay wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:43 pm What is the strategy behind not announcing the signings? High school kids surely are excited for it to be on social media to show friends and family. Could it almost hurt recruiting?
Sounds like UNI fans aren’t happy about not announcing there’s either I certainly don’t see any upside to it
WIU2DC

leatherneckcountry wrote:
vatusay wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:43 pm What is the strategy behind not announcing the signings? High school kids surely are excited for it to be on social media to show friends and family. Could it almost hurt recruiting?
Sounds like UNI fans aren’t happy about not announcing there’s either I certainly don’t see any upside to it

I’m curious to know if they are not announcing it so other student athletes don’t know if they’re signing to a team that also signed another player for the same position. If you want to play RB and you found out a school already signed a RB to your class maybe you sign with a school that hasn’t signed a RB? I wasn’t a student athlete so I’m not sure how they look at that. That’s the only reason I could see them restricting that information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vatusay

If I was a coach I wouldn’t want a player afraid of some competition. Iron sharpens iron. But, I’m not paid to be a coach.
#ALLIN #YOLO
WIU2DC

vatusay wrote:If I was a coach I wouldn’t want a player afraid of some competition. Iron sharpens iron. But, I’m not paid to be a coach.
100% agree but that’s the only reason I can think of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neckfansince71

Positive vibes coming out of the WIU football office. I think it makes sense for all of us to see what February brings! ;) jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Blake Muntz, 6' 6" 220lb, TE from Madison Central HS (Richmond, KY) - had offers from FBS Ball State, Eastern Michigan, and Bowling Green, plus FCS Austin Peay and Morehead State

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Cade Kelly, 6' 5" 275lb O-Line from Choctaw HS (Choctaw, OK) - FCS offer from Abilene Christian

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Hazer Xanders, 6' 5" 280, O-Line, from Stillwater HS (Stillwater, OK) - had offers from Missouri State and Southeastern Louisiana
letsgonecks

Wonder if we'll see some more kids from Oklahoma? Only FCS team at this point on any of the future schedules for OSU and OU, so if they didn't offer you and your dream is to one day take the field there (OSU), WIU is your opportunity (assuming an FBS team isn't recruiting you that plays them). Especially the kid from Stillwater, hey come and maybe play up to 4 games in 2019, get better and you got a shot at seeing the the field at T. Boone Pickens Stadium in 2020.

Not sure if that's a tactic by the AD, but should focus/try to get games with similar states going forward. Big program, but only 1 or 2 in the state, so schedule them and recruit those states hard. Doesn't really work as well for Ball State or South Alabama. I'm sure it's not that easy to schedule, but might be a good focus as we try to continue to build a solid program.

Has to help UNI lock in the IA kids. Not just because it's in state, but because you know you get to play at both Iowa and Iowa State in your career.