Football Recruits - 2019

sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:13 pm
WIU2DC wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:00 pm We went from two QBs on the roster to 4 or 5 now? Ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QB Trey McJunkin, who transferred to WIU from Fresno City Junior College prior to last year but didn't end up playing, just posted this to twitter:

If 2018 was treated as a "redshirt year" for him, then he'll have 3 more years to play somewhere else if he wants.

So, the QBs we have that I'm aware of currently (and their status for eligibility) are:
Senior Kevin Johnson (transfer from Richmond)
Junior Connor Sampson
Sophomore Henry Ogala (transfer from Lincoln University)
Freshman L.T. Beck (from Burlington, played 2018 at Midwestern Prep Academy in Rantoul, IL, I assume that doesn't count as a "college season", right?)

If I had to guess, I'd say that Sampson is still the front-runner to be the starter, with Johnson as backup and to put a bit of pressure on Sampson. Ogala as the #3 QB for now, but my best guess at this point is, he'll take over as backup next year with Sampson as a Senior, then be starter his last two years. Beck should be able to redshirt this coming season and have his "R-Freshman" year be 2020.
In the sports world, Trey is known as a "Journeyman".
Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

sealhall74 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:45 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:13 pm
WIU2DC wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:00 pm We went from two QBs on the roster to 4 or 5 now? Ha.

QB Trey McJunkin, who transferred to WIU from Fresno City Junior College prior to last year but didn't end up playing, just posted this to twitter:

If 2018 was treated as a "redshirt year" for him, then he'll have 3 more years to play somewhere else if he wants.

So, the QBs we have that I'm aware of currently (and their status for eligibility) are:
Junior Connor Sampson
Freshman L.T. Beck (from Burlington, played 2018 at Midwestern Prep Academy in Rantoul, IL, I assume that doesn't count as a "college season", right?)

If I had to guess, I'd say that Sampson is still the front-runner to be the starter, with Johnson as backup and to put a bit of pressure on Sampson. Ogala as the #3 QB for now, but my best guess at this point is, he'll take over as backup next year with Sampson as a Senior, then be starter his last two years. Beck should be able to redshirt this coming season and have his "R-Freshman" year be 2020.
In the sports world, Trey has officially qualified as "Journeyman".
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU2DC

ST_Lawson wrote:

Junior Connor Sampson

Well that was quick with him transferring out. We at least have some back ups in case someone goes down. But, I agree with you Lawson. I think it’s Sampson’s spot to lose.

letsgonecks

Unless Olaga graduated in 2 years or receives a waiver, he'll likely be sitting out this year. Olaga looks decent on his tape and played well against Missouri State. Looks to have lost his job this spring to a DII transfer who sat out at Lincoln in 2018.

Might question what we're doing taking a kid who lost his job to another DII kid, but Chancellor Johnson looks like a freak athlete. 247 shows an offer from Louisville out of HS, he started at DII Albany State as a true freshman, and even logged a few innings on the mound for the baseball team.

Glad we brought in Johnson to compete. Hope Sampson's the guy since we have him for 2 years as opposed to Johnson, who'd be one and done. Would suck for Sampson, but cool if Beck came in and lit it up for 4 years. Our next great lefty (Michna, Barr)!!!!!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

George Wahee's brother JT will be joining us this season. JT is a 5' 11", 180lb DB. He played 2016 as a true freshman at Norfolk State, 2017, and then 2018 had 58 tackles with 10 breakups in 11 games for the Spartans. Looks like a pretty standard grad transfer, where he's got one year of eligibility left.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

This was a big need coming into 2019. The D is going to be sick!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:41 pm This was a big need coming into 2019. The D is going to be sick!
Another addition on defense:
Justin Nutof, Safety, 5' 11", 195 lb, originally from South Elgin, IL, played in 7 games last year for Iowa Central Community College (29 total tackles, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery, 2 interceptions). It looks like he'll have 3 years of eligibility.
letsgonecks

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:11 am
GV Dad wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:41 pm This was a big need coming into 2019. The D is going to be sick!
Another addition on defense:
Justin Nutof, Safety, 5' 11", 195 lb, originally from South Elgin, IL, played in 7 games last year for Iowa Central Community College (29 total tackles, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery, 2 interceptions). It looks like he'll have 3 years of eligibility.
Should only have 2 years left. Looks like he spent 2016 at Robert Morris in IL. Not sure of his 2017 status and though he started NAIA and then JUCO, his NCAA 5 year clock started 3 years ago.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

letsgonecks wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:10 am Should only have 2 years left. Looks like he spent 2016 at Robert Morris in IL. Not sure of his 2017 status and though he started NAIA and then JUCO, his NCAA 5 year clock started 3 years ago.
Ah, ok. I didn't notice the Robert Morris bit.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Another addition in defensive backfield:
Transfer CB Marquis Smith, 5' 11", 185lb, originally from Ypsilanti, MI.
Was at Cincinnati: redshirted in 2016, played special teams and reserve CB in 2017 and 2018, playing in 12 games each season.
Should have two years eligibility remaining.
https://gobearcats.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7376https://gobearcats.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7376