Football Recruits - 2019

GV Dad

WIU2DC

GV Dad wrote:
Second fastest in the state of Texas? I am reading that right, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GV Dad

3rd place in the 4x1 and 4 x2, with his brother as well. And 2nd overall finish in the 400 meter. We have a couple BIG TIME play makers in the Overton brothers.
sealhall74

Depending on the division, you might want to take TAPPS accolades with a grain of salt. Not at the same level as public school achievements IMHO.
Embrace the pace of the race.
GV Dad

sealhall74 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:16 pm Depending on the division, you might want to take TAPPS accolades with a grain of salt. Not at the same level as public school achievements IMHO.
His time would be good enough for 5th in MO Big Class. At 6'4" 190 lbs. I don't care what division he's in, that's a hell of an FCS WR weapon.
sealhall74

GV Dad wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:02 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:16 pm Depending on the division, you might want to take TAPPS accolades with a grain of salt. Not at the same level as public school achievements IMHO.
His time would be good enough for 5th in MO Big Class. At 6'4" 190 lbs. I don't care what division he's in, that's a hell of an FCS WR weapon.
Biggest thing going for both of them is their football lineage. TAPPS kids generally come from smaller schools and athletes usually play multiple sports.. Parish Episcopal is rather large by private school standards but still small in the overall scheme of things. My nephew won 2 state titles in basketball in TAPPS with a private school in the Houston area. They had a 6'10'' stud center who was good enough to play at D2 level in college if I recall correctly.
sealhall74

sealhall74 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:27 am
GV Dad wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:02 pm
Biggest thing going for both of them is their football lineage. TAPPS kids generally come from smaller schools and athletes usually play multiple sports.. Parish Episcopal is rather large by private school standards but still small in the overall scheme of things. My nephew won 2 state titles in basketball in TAPPS with a private school in the Houston area. They had a 6'10'' stud center who was good enough to play at D2 level in college if I recall correctly.
Update: Parish Episcopal Athletic Director Brett McCabe got his masters degree at South Dakota State.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

We're getting another transfer QB. Henry Ogala was a freshman starting QB for Lincoln University (DII, Jefferson City MO) last year and will have 3 years of eligibility. 6'1", 208 lbs, originally from Somerset NJ. He spent a season with Georgia Prep Sports Academy (2016) before heading to college.
Most of his competition last year was DII obviously, but they did play at Missouri State (that was the game moved to the middle of the day on a Thursday due to severe weather that was forecasted). He threw for 205 yards with 2 TDs and 0 INTs and a 76.2% completion rate in that game. You can check out highlights from that game here: http://www.hudl.com/v/2BGhne

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU2DC

ST_Lawson wrote:We're getting another transfer QB. Henry Ogala was a freshman starting QB for Lincoln University (DII, Jefferson City MO) last year and will have 3 years of eligibility. 6'1", 208 lbs, originally from Somerset NJ. He spent a season with Georgia Prep Sports Academy (2016) before heading to college.
Most of his competition last year was DII obviously, but they did play at Missouri State (that was the game moved to the middle of the day on a Thursday due to severe weather that was forecasted). He threw for 205 yards with 2 TDs and 0 INTs and a 76.2% completion rate in that game. You can check out highlights from that game here: http://www.hudl.com/v/2BGhne

We went from two QBs on the roster to 4 or 5 now? Ha. But, it’s nice seeing we will have some depth for next year too. Those stats with D2 talent against Missouri State’s D is pretty impressive too.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU2DC wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:00 pm We went from two QBs on the roster to 4 or 5 now? Ha.

QB Trey McJunkin, who transferred to WIU from Fresno City Junior College prior to last year but didn't end up playing, just posted this to twitter:

If 2018 was treated as a "redshirt year" for him, then he'll have 3 more years to play somewhere else if he wants.

So, the QBs we have that I'm aware of currently (and their status for eligibility) are:
Senior Kevin Johnson (transfer from Richmond)
Junior Connor Sampson
Sophomore Henry Ogala (transfer from Lincoln University)
Freshman L.T. Beck (from Burlington, played 2018 at Midwestern Prep Academy in Rantoul, IL, I assume that doesn't count as a "college season", right?)

If I had to guess, I'd say that Sampson is still the front-runner to be the starter, with Johnson as backup and to put a bit of pressure on Sampson. Ogala as the #3 QB for now, but my best guess at this point is, he'll take over as backup next year with Sampson as a Senior, then be starter his last two years. Beck should be able to redshirt this coming season and have his "R-Freshman" year be 2020.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000