Football Recruits - 2019

Leatherneck57

meganeck wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:10 pm looks like WIU made a lot of offers today and it seemed the majority were to high school kids in Michigan. That seems like it is new territory for WIU. Does one of the new coaches have connections to Michigan? Anyone know what the connection is?
Yes...our New WR coach who’s responsible for recruiting Michigan and Indiana coached at the University of Michigan.
LeatherCy

Jirehl Brock first narrowed his choices to seven then five with the Illni not making the cut. His Final Five were Iowa State, MN, Northwestern, Purdue and the pieces of crap in the cesspool off I-80 know by some as Iowa City . Today he tweeted he was not going to take an official to Purdue. He took an official to Northwestern last weekend. The other three will be in June. He wants to make a decision most likely shortly after his final visit. Nate Scheelhaase former Illini QB became the new Iowa State RB coach in late January. It helped Iowa State's efforts as he already had a relationship with Brock. In the Quincy paper earlier this week he said he dropped IL because he wasn't sure Lovie and the staff would be around his four or five years. Northwestern came in late but really pushed their new facilities which I would do also.
meganeck

Scott, are you keeping up with all the offers? i think they have about 100 offers out lol
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:28 pm Scott, are you keeping up with all the offers? i think they have about 100 offers out lol
I've got 99 on my list, but I might have missed a couple here and there. I've also started putting down the date of the offer (or at least, when the kid posts it to twitter) so we have an idea of when the offer went out and you can more easily see which offers have come in since you last checked. I plan on going back through them all at least once or twice through the summer to get them updated with new offers from other schools that have come out since I added them as well as any commitments and adding the date of the twitter post for our offer to those that don't have them yet.

You can see them all on the spreadsheet:
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

thanks Scott, that is a helluva job and I appreciate you doing that.. I assume to will try to update if they commit to somewhere besides WIU
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:48 pm thanks Scott, that is a helluva job and I appreciate you doing that.. I assume to will try to update if they commit to somewhere besides WIU
Yup, I update that bit as well, under the "Status" column usually. When it gets a bit closer to the first signing period and kids really start announcing commitments, I'll eventually set it up to filter showing only guys who are "uncommitted" or who have verbally committed to Western, but all the data will still be there. It'll just be hidden so that it's easier to focus on guys that we are likely to sign.
LeatherCy

Good friend and co-worker has a son who is and OL/DL 6'5" 265, wears a size 17 shoe. UNI, USD, SDSU, and UND have all shown interest. Colton Harberts, Dike-New Hartford, HS, Dike, IA . 10 miles West of the UNI Dome. Coach Elliott, Coach Rocco and I believe Coach Howle all were on the phone with Colton Friday. They convinced him to come to camp on July 21st. His offers thus far have been been D2, Wayne State, Winona State and Augustana (SD) Living a mile from the UNI Dome I would absolutely love to steal one from Farley right from unde nose.

I really like the fact Coach Elliott's staff is recruiting Iowa hard again. For some reason Fisher didn't recruit IA, even the Quad Cities. The HC of the five time state champion told me this week he had heard from and met coaches from Western for the first time since Coach Nielson and Coach Moose recruited his school.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

LeatherCy wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:42 pmColton Harberts, Dike-New Hartford, HS, Dike, IA . 10 miles West of the UNI Dome.
Dike?...that's not a town name I expect to come across often outside of family stuff. My mother-in-law's family is from Dike and my wife's Grandmother, an aunt and uncle, and a few cousins live there. For those that don't know, we're talking about a town of maybe 1,000 people.

Great to hear we're keeping an eye on Iowa now. There's some really good talent out of Iowa and it's close enough that we need to keep that in regular recruiting "rotation". You also don't usually get the "small town in middle of cornfield" shock that some big-city players might have when they first come to Macomb.
Tmelker

One of the offered MN kids posted this commitment yesterday.
LeatherCy

Scott...is your mother in law's mom Carolyn Murphy???