Football Recruits - 2019

leatherneckcountry

Leatherneck57 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:26 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:57 pm
Neckfansince71 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:51 pm Offensive and defensive lineman are the "butter and bread" of a football team. I don't think you can ever recruit toooooo many! ;) jc
Part of NDSU's success is having a good number of decent linemen that they can rotate in and out. Helps reduce injury, keeps players fresh throughout the game. If you look at, for example, their D-linemen stats, in terms of tackles and things, they're way down the list...but that's because they don't play every down. Every play a lineman is in on, they're slamming into guys across from them. They're not moving as fast as a WR or RB, but the risk of injury can be high due to the sheer number of times they have contact with the opposing team's players.
I agree! I can tell you that Coach Elliott and Coach Howle will not let our O line get old like it did at the end of 2017. While it was good for a couple of years it was bad for the start of 2018. We had 4 seniors (Baldus, Judd, Torgerson and Detweiler) that needed to be replaced and only one junior with playing experience returning (Wagner).

If you look at all the other MVFC teams O Lines they are usually only replacing 1 or 2 starters a year which is manageable. Replacing 4 is not a good thing all though at the time it seemed like it. We need to build depth just like we have done with our LB’s and D Line. So your consistently adding the young with veteran players. We need to build depth across all classes to accomplish this.

Remember we’re still young on the O line (3 RS sophomores and a RS Junior) and by adding two JC O lineman Brian Woodard (6’5 295 - 2 years of eligibility) from CA and Cristian Williams (6’5 305 - 3 years of eligibility) from AZ...both are tackles...we just keep adding depth to our nucleus of returners. Plus this helps the us with the kids coming out of their Redshirt year like Kennedy, Elkerton until they develop the strength and skill set to contribute. Those are big boys!! I’m also hoping that the Rozene kid who’s a Senior will be healthy this year. He faught a pectoral problem all fall and didn’t see any action. That’s a big man at 6’7 330 and has playing experience. He could have played if Wagner got hurt but that didn’t happen. And let’s not forget about Chris Zobrist (Senior) ...his only issue was a nagging ankle injury that happened in the last scrimmage before the season started that haunted him for the entire season! He never could play for long periods of time.

You need to add at least 4 freshman lineman to your roster every year due to attrition etc. We have 2 so far Ty O’Janovac (6’4 270) from Joliet Catholic and Josiah Rowland (6’4 295) from Pleasant Plains, IA. These kids are good and will be really good after Redshrting. But we have several more offers out to O Lineman and D Lineman that are waiting to commit later this week or on February 6th plus several QB’s, receivers and RB’s. We solidified or CB spot with the addition of two FBS transfers Bryce Cross from Georgia Southern (4 years of eligibility) and Keyshawn Canady from East Carolina ( he has 2 years of eligibility) We have several other FBS players that we’ve offered and I look for several PWO’s to commit at some point.

I like our the status of our O line now and what we will close at other positions in January once the kids make official visits to WIU! This staff has a great deal of success closing the deal when they get the kids on campus!
I'm not trying to take away that you always need Lineman it just concerns me that we have several holes going into next year that haven't been addressed. We didn't sign a RB or a QB to big weaknesses also no Db's or even a kicker. I've already accept that next year is a rebuild year. I'm personally not a big fan of a lot of transfers. I just don't want it to get like the basketball situation were we are the laughing stock of the league every year.
WIU2DC

leatherneckcountry wrote:
ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:57 pm Part of NDSU's success is having a good number of decent linemen that they can rotate in and out. Helps reduce injury, keeps players fresh throughout the game. If you look at, for example, their D-linemen stats, in terms of tackles and things, they're way down the list...but that's because they don't play every down. Every play a lineman is in on, they're slamming into guys across from them. They're not moving as fast as a WR or RB, but the risk of injury can be high due to the sheer number of times they have contact with the opposing team's players.
I agree! I can tell you that Coach Elliott and Coach Howle will not let our O line get old like it did at the end of 2017. While it was good for a couple of years it was bad for the start of 2018. We had 4 seniors (Baldus, Judd, Torgerson and Detweiler) that needed to be replaced and only one junior with playing experience returning (Wagner).

If you look at all the other MVFC teams O Lines they are usually only replacing 1 or 2 starters a year which is manageable. Replacing 4 is not a good thing all though at the time it seemed like it. We need to build depth just like we have done with our LB’s and D Line. So your consistently adding the young with veteran players. We need to build depth across all classes to accomplish this.

Remember we’re still young on the O line (3 RS sophomores and a RS Junior) and by adding two JC O lineman Brian Woodard (6’5 295 - 2 years of eligibility) from CA and Cristian Williams (6’5 305 - 3 years of eligibility) from AZ...both are tackles...we just keep adding depth to our nucleus of returners. Plus this helps the us with the kids coming out of their Redshirt year like Kennedy, Elkerton until they develop the strength and skill set to contribute. Those are big boys!! I’m also hoping that the Rozene kid who’s a Senior will be healthy this year. He faught a pectoral problem all fall and didn’t see any action. That’s a big man at 6’7 330 and has playing experience. He could have played if Wagner got hurt but that didn’t happen. And let’s not forget about Chris Zobrist (Senior) ...his only issue was a nagging ankle injury that happened in the last scrimmage before the season started that haunted him for the entire season! He never could play for long periods of time.

You need to add at least 4 freshman lineman to your roster every year due to attrition etc. We have 2 so far Ty O’Janovac (6’4 270) from Joliet Catholic and Josiah Rowland (6’4 295) from Pleasant Plains, IA. These kids are good and will be really good after Redshrting. But we have several more offers out to O Lineman and D Lineman that are waiting to commit later this week or on February 6th plus several QB’s, receivers and RB’s. We solidified or CB spot with the addition of two FBS transfers Bryce Cross from Georgia Southern (4 years of eligibility) and Keyshawn Canady from East Carolina ( he has 2 years of eligibility) We have several other FBS players that we’ve offered and I look for several PWO’s to commit at some point.

I like our the status of our O line now and what we will close at other positions in January once the kids make official visits to WIU! This staff has a great deal of success closing the deal when they get the kids on campus!
I'm not trying to take away that you always need Lineman it just concerns me that we have several holes going into next year that haven't been addressed. We didn't sign a RB or a QB to big weaknesses also no Db's or even a kicker. I've already accept that next year is a rebuild year. I'm personally not a big fan of a lot of transfers. I just don't want it to get like the basketball situation were we are the laughing stock of the league every year.

I feel like we have a decent (can always add) amount of big play makers. Two RBs, two WRs that got decent amount of playing time both back next year. We may be reloading next year but we’ll have some play-makers in the offensive side of the ball, with a more experienced O-line. The big question is which QB will give us the best shot to win and if he’ll be any good. Now, we should still be recruiting WRs and RBs to help with depth and such. Didn’t a JUCO transfer RB sign that runs a 4.4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leatherneckcountry

WIU2DC wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:12 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote:

I feel like we have a decent (can always add) amount of big play makers. Two RBs, two WRs that got decent amount of playing time both back next year. We may be reloading next year but we’ll have some play-makers in the offensive side of the ball, with a more experienced O-line. The big question is which QB will give us the best shot to win and if he’ll be any good. Now, we should still be recruiting WRs and RBs to help with depth and such. Didn’t a JUCO transfer RB sign that runs a 4.4?

I don't think he actually signed yet but its hard to tell since everything is a secret but his twitter still says he's committed.
leatherneckcountry

I see former lineman Myron Cunningham is going to Arkansas.
sealhall74

My two cents regarding JUCO recruits, based on what I have seen happen on the hardwood, is simple. Never recruit one unless they are a starter or at least the first one off the bench. Otherwise, you ain't getting much bang for the buck.
Embrace the pace of the race.
meganeck

WIU2DC wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:17 pm
sealhall74 wrote:

Part of NDSU's success is having a good number of decent linemen that they can rotate in and out. Helps reduce injury, keeps players fresh throughout the game. If you look at, for example, their D-linemen stats, in terms of tackles and things, they're way down the list...but that's because they don't play every down. Every play a lineman is in on, they're slamming into guys across from them. They're not moving as fast as a WR or RB, but the risk of injury can be high due to the sheer number of times they have contact with the opposing team's players.
Rotation is true but also factor in that most of their games are over by end of 3rd quarter and the "really young" guys (e.g. redshirt freshman) get some valuable PT. Their system is really hard to beat right now. It's like it is just feeds on itself.
Yeah, their system is something to envy. I saw they have a FBS QB transfer from Iowa State coming too.

I looked and it looks like NDSU only has freshman (RS & true) QB on their roster besides Stick. I'm assuming their other QB's transferred out knowing they wouldn't play with Stick there. They might have some more leave since I assume the Iowa St QB will be the starter next year.

Also I know 2 Iowa players are transferring to Illinois St

Leatherneck57

leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:01 pm

We did sign 2 transfer corners like I mentioned earlier but I believe a lot of those concerns will be addressed this next go around.
leatherneckcountry

Leatherneck57 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:52 pm

We did sign 2 transfer corners like I mentioned earlier but I believe a lot of those concerns will be addressed this next go around.
I just mainly meant freshman ones but it looks like these guys will be around for a while and aren’t just one and done. It just concerns me cause that’s a position we have mainly went after transfers over the year instead of bringing them in young and letting them learn the system.
leatherneckcountry

Leatherneck57 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:52 pm

Sorry I’m just not a patient person just was super excited about today and just fill a little down that we didn’t get to celebrate the new recruits. But I trust coach Elliot and the rest of the staff will get WIU back into the playoffs
GV Dad

I'm with you Country! I see ZERO benefit in keeping it quiet. The only thing I can think of that makes any sense, is we recently lost our Tech guy. So the graphics that all the kids love may not have been available. And they didn't want to half ass it. Other than that, just a HUGE waste of a great marketing opportunity. And with our attendance and lack of funding/membership in the Leatherneck Club, we can't afford to brush of marketing opportunities. Which is where strong leadership from an AD should have stepped in.