Football Recruits - 2019

Neckfansince71

Offensive and defensive lineman are the "butter and bread" of a football team. I don't think you can ever recruit toooooo many! ;) jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:51 pm Offensive and defensive lineman are the "butter and bread" of a football team. I don't think you can ever recruit toooooo many! ;) jc
Part of NDSU's success is having a good number of decent linemen that they can rotate in and out. Helps reduce injury, keeps players fresh throughout the game. If you look at, for example, their D-linemen stats, in terms of tackles and things, they're way down the list...but that's because they don't play every down. Every play a lineman is in on, they're slamming into guys across from them. They're not moving as fast as a WR or RB, but the risk of injury can be high due to the sheer number of times they have contact with the opposing team's players.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Neckfansince71

Good catch ST! And I don't mind waiting for February to announce our recruiting class. Always a good chance that someone is going to fall through the FBS cracks! ;) jc
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:57 pm
Neckfansince71 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:51 pm Offensive and defensive lineman are the "butter and bread" of a football team. I don't think you can ever recruit toooooo many! ;) jc
Part of NDSU's success is having a good number of decent linemen that they can rotate in and out. Helps reduce injury, keeps players fresh throughout the game. If you look at, for example, their D-linemen stats, in terms of tackles and things, they're way down the list...but that's because they don't play every down. Every play a lineman is in on, they're slamming into guys across from them. They're not moving as fast as a WR or RB, but the risk of injury can be high due to the sheer number of times they have contact with the opposing team's players.
Rotation is true but also factor in that most of their games are over by end of 3rd quarter and the "really young" guys (e.g. redshirt freshman) get some valuable PT. Their system is really hard to beat right now. It's like it is just feeds on itself.
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU2DC

sealhall74 wrote:
Rotation is true but also factor in that most of their games are over by end of 3rd quarter and the "really young" guys (e.g. redshirt freshman) get some valuable PT. Their system is really hard to beat right now. It's like it is just feeds on itself.
Yeah, their system is something to envy. I saw they have a FBS QB transfer from Iowa State coming too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leatherneckcountry

I hope Jared doesn’t make this mistake next year what is the point of having an early class if you aren’t going to announce it
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:24 pm I hope Jared doesn’t make this mistake next year what is the point of having an early class if you aren’t going to announce it
You still want to get the kids signed early if you can. If you wait until February, that gives more opportunities for other schools to swoop in and convince them to go elsewhere.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

Chritian Williams he's go to be hard to beat as coming from a school with the best nickname as hes coming from the fighting artichokes.
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:27 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:24 pm I hope Jared doesn’t make this mistake next year what is the point of having an early class if you aren’t going to announce it
You still want to get the kids signed early if you can. If you wait until February, that gives more opportunities for other schools to swoop in and convince them to go elsewhere.
I get it from that side but as a fan you get excited about to day and then it just fills like it was a waste.
Leatherneck57

I agree! I can tell you that Coach Elliott and Coach Howle will not let our O line get old like it did at the end of 2017. While it was good for a couple of years it was bad for the start of 2018. We had 4 seniors (Baldus, Judd, Torgerson and Detweiler) that needed to be replaced and only one junior with playing experience returning (Wagner).

If you look at all the other MVFC teams O Lines they are usually only replacing 1 or 2 starters a year which is manageable. Replacing 4 is not a good thing all though at the time it seemed like it. We need to build depth just like we have done with our LB’s and D Line. So your consistently adding the young with veteran players. We need to build depth across all classes to accomplish this.

Remember we’re still young on the O line (3 RS sophomores and a RS Junior) and by adding two JC O lineman Brian Woodard (6’5 295 - 2 years of eligibility) from CA and Cristian Williams (6’5 305 - 3 years of eligibility) from AZ...both are tackles...we just keep adding depth to our nucleus of returners. Plus this helps the us with the kids coming out of their Redshirt year like Kennedy, Elkerton until they develop the strength and skill set to contribute. Those are big boys!! I’m also hoping that the Rozene kid who’s a Senior will be healthy this year. He faught a pectoral problem all fall and didn’t see any action. That’s a big man at 6’7 330 and has playing experience. He could have played if Wagner got hurt but that didn’t happen. And let’s not forget about Chris Zobrist (Senior) ...his only issue was a nagging ankle injury that happened in the last scrimmage before the season started that haunted him for the entire season! He never could play for long periods of time.

You need to add at least 4 freshman lineman to your roster every year due to attrition etc. We have 2 so far Ty O’Janovac (6’4 270) from Joliet Catholic and Josiah Rowland (6’4 295) from Pleasant Plains, IA. These kids are good and will be really good after Redshrting. But we have several more offers out to O Lineman and D Lineman that are waiting to commit later this week or on February 6th plus several QB’s, receivers and RB’s. We solidified or CB spot with the addition of two FBS transfers Bryce Cross from Georgia Southern (4 years of eligibility) and Keyshawn Canady from East Carolina ( he has 2 years of eligibility) We have several other FBS players that we’ve offered and I look for several PWO’s to commit at some point.

I like our the status of our O line now and what we will close at other positions in January once the kids make official visits to WIU! This staff has a great deal of success closing the deal when they get the kids on campus!