Football Recruits - 2019

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

letsgonecks wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:46 am Wonder if we'll see some more kids from Oklahoma? Only FCS team at this point on any of the future schedules for OSU and OU, so if they didn't offer you and your dream is to one day take the field there (OSU), WIU is your opportunity (assuming an FBS team isn't recruiting you that plays them). Especially the kid from Stillwater, hey come and maybe play up to 4 games in 2019, get better and you got a shot at seeing the the field at T. Boone Pickens Stadium in 2020.

Not sure if that's a tactic by the AD, but should focus/try to get games with similar states going forward. Big program, but only 1 or 2 in the state, so schedule them and recruit those states hard. Doesn't really work as well for Ball State or South Alabama. I'm sure it's not that easy to schedule, but might be a good focus as we try to continue to build a solid program.

Has to help UNI lock in the IA kids. Not just because it's in state, but because you know you get to play at both Iowa and Iowa State in your career.
I know that coaches do this in basketball. They'll actually schedule future games based on where some of their top players/recruits are from. It's not a bad tactic.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

letsgonecks wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:46 am Wonder if we'll see some more kids from Oklahoma? Only FCS team at this point on any of the future schedules for OSU and OU, so if they didn't offer you and your dream is to one day take the field there (OSU), WIU is your opportunity (assuming an FBS team isn't recruiting you that plays them). Especially the kid from Stillwater, hey come and maybe play up to 4 games in 2019, get better and you got a shot at seeing the the field at T. Boone Pickens Stadium in 2020.

Not sure if that's a tactic by the AD, but should focus/try to get games with similar states going forward. Big program, but only 1 or 2 in the state, so schedule them and recruit those states hard. Doesn't really work as well for Ball State or South Alabama. I'm sure it's not that easy to schedule, but might be a good focus as we try to continue to build a solid program.

Has to help UNI lock in the IA kids. Not just because it's in state, but because you know you get to play at both Iowa and Iowa State in your career.
So a kid chooses to spend 4 or 5 years at a school partly because he gets a couple days on the field at the place he really wanted to go? Not sure I want a kid with that kind of mindset on my team or even a coach trying to sell it that way. It's the Navy recruiter telling the HS kid "Join the Navy and see the world" approach to doing business. Good for numbers but not much else.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:07 am So a kid chooses to spend 4 or 5 years at a school partly because he gets a couple days on the field at the place he really wanted to go? Not sure I want a kid with that kind of mindset on my team or even a coach trying to sell it that way. It's the Navy recruiter telling the HS kid "Join the Navy and see the world" approach to doing business. Good for numbers but not much else.
It's not the only reason, but getting to play a game "at home" is a nice bonus for a lot of kids. I'm not saying it would help us beat out most FBS teams, but if a kid has an offer from maybe a few Southland teams, a couple of the more "southern" MVFC teams, and us...something like this could make a difference in a kid's decision. If they're willing to put in the work and have the right attitude once they're here, I don't really care too much why they made their initial decision.
letsgonecks

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:07 am

So a kid chooses to spend 4 or 5 years at a school partly because he gets a couple days on the field at the place he really wanted to go? Not sure I want a kid with that kind of mindset on my team or even a coach trying to sell it that way. It's the Navy recruiter telling the HS kid "Join the Navy and see the world" approach to doing business. Good for numbers but not much else.
Yes, absolutely. If a kid has talent and fits our system and this is what makes it work to get them picking us over another conference team, lower FBS or FCS team. Not only will they get to play on that field, but a better chance of having friends and family see them, and maybe just show that school what they missed out on. Pretty sure we landed some Wisconsin kids that liked the idea of going to Camp Randall. Coaches pitch all the time to recruits a chance to play against big schools and top talent, so why not.
leatherneckcountry

I hate to burst your bubble but most kids dream of playing some where and it’s not WIU
sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:26 am

I hate to burst your bubble but most kids dream of playing some where and it’s not WIU
I think you nailed our problem. I want kids here who subscribe to that old (1980-2001) Army motto ""Be All You Can Be"".
letsgonecks

sealhall74

For any FCS coach, there is only one acceptable answer if you ask a kid where he dreams of playing. Not Stillwater, not Fargo, not Macomb. It's Frisco.
Western_101

leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:26 am

I agree, however, Playing at Western means you are playing at the very top of D-I 63 scholy football. Also, year in and year out the MVFC is ranked higher than FBS Sunbelt and MAC. It has to factor into a kids decision. Do I sign with a lower tier P-5 and never play or a G-5 that is sub par year in and year out? Or do I play in the top rated conference in the FCS brand of D-I?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Jordan Schippers, 6' 1" 190lb WR/RB from Colby, KS