Early Guesses at 2018 Starters

GV Dad

I know we have several spots to fill from last season, especially on the OL. But what do you guys think the starting lineup would be if we had a game today?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:56 pm I know we have several spots to fill from last season, especially on the OL. But what do you guys think the starting lineup would be if we had a game today?
I usually do a "deep dive" into each position during the summer before the season starts, just FYI, so I'll get into things a lot more in-depth at that point, after we've figured out any late transfers, seen how players did during spring practices (and the spring game), etc. If you want to see what I usually do for that, here's last year's LB's thread: http://www.leathernecknation.net/forum/ ... f=7&t=1380
But, if we're just looking at how things are right now, if we had to play a game today, assuming the players who are/were seniors during the 2017 season are "done" and can't be on the team, plus any transfers that we know about and new incoming freshman, here's my best guess at what the depth chart might look like:

Offense
QB - Sean McGuire, Connor Sampson
RB - Steve McShane, Max Norris, Clint Ratkovich
WR - Isaiah LeSure, Izaiah Fuller, Brandon Gaston, Darron Wheeler
TE - Tyler Slamans, Jackson Riley, Adam Conrady
OL - Drew Wagner, Thomas Kirsch, Kyle Sanft, Chris Zobrist, Myron Cunningham, Fawaz Ayoola

Defense
DL - Khalen Saunders, Grant Kasal, Eryk Preston, Kyle Williams, J'Len Smith, Shabar Wilson, Luke Terrell
LB - Quintin Moon, Michael Bischoff, Riggs Baxter, Pete Swenson, Tom Rehfeld, Joe Turk
DB - Justin Fitzpatrick, Mike Viti, Xavier Rowe, Timothy Smith, Isaiah Cherrier

Special Teams
PK - Sam Crosa, Nathan Erickson
P - Adam Fellner, Nathan Erickson
Kickoffs - Erickson, Crosa
LS - Hunter Varga

There's really only a couple of positions where I had to put in guys who haven't had any in-game playing time yet. Despite losing our best LB in quite a while, we still have quite a bit of talent there...and really, all across the defense. I don't think that aspect will drop off much next year. Offense could be an issue...the O-Line is going to have to really step up since we lost some real solid players there, and that could make a huge difference in the productivity of our overall offense. McShane and Norris are both good RBs, but could have issues if there's no holes to run through. WR could be an issue as well...we've been spoiled there, following up the dominant combo of Lance Lenior and Joey Borsellino with a surprise record-breaking season from Acklin last year. We could have someone step up, although I haven't been hugely impressed by anyone else on the roster so far (then again, this point last year I would have said the same thing about Acklin). Maybe Broc Thompson could be one of the few true freshman to be asked to play this season...you always want to redshirt a freshman whenever possible, but if nobody else is looking like they're going to step up and make plays...then you gotta do what you gotta do.

I think we've still got our eyes on a few guys...potential transfers...still plenty of time to sign freshman who haven't made their decisions yet...so a lot could change even before spring practices. Then we've got like 4ish months of spending time in the weight room, building strength and speed, and then summer practices.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

Thanks Scott!
letsgonecks

I bet we see an FBS OL, LB and possibly CB transfer. Tried to limit to 2 deep only, but a few have a third.

Like Ratkovich's role out of the backfield, but might see more of him at WR, if others don't step up.

Might see Wheeler and Clemons back over as CB's this spring.

LT 76 Drew Wagner
Up for grabs
LG 73 Kyle Sanft
Kelton Edwards
C 63 Chris Zobrist
Up for grabs
RG 71 Myron Cunningham
Kelton Edwards
RT 64 Thomas Kirsch
Up for grabs
QB 18 Sean McGuire
8 Connor Sampson.
RB 5 Steve McShane
36 Max Norris
TE 83 Adam Conrady
45 Tyler Slamans
FB 34 Larry Harleston
WR Broc Thompson
12 Darren Wheeler
Or 14 Eli Watson
WR 10 Brandon Gaston
86 Izaiah Fuller
WR 2 Isaiah LeSure.
John Brunner
DEFENSE
DE 99 Khalen Saunders
LaCale London
41 Joe Turk
NG Shabar Wilson
98 Luke Terrill
DE 91 Kyle Williams
55 Cole Watts
Or Eryk Preston
LB 58 Riggs Baxter
47 Michael Bishoff
LB 27 Tre Hendon
59 Tom Rehfeld
LB 39 Quentin Moon
37 Zach Glisan
LB 50 Pete Swenson
13 J’Len Smith
CB 24 Mike Viti
De’Shon Gavin
FS 30 Justin Fitzpatrick
11 Eric Carrera
SS Daymon Murray
3 Tim Smith
4 Andre Whitley
CB 6 Xavier Rowe
Josh Shodipo
SPECIAL TEAMS
PK 32 Sam Crosa
P 89 Adam Fellner
LS 53 Hunter Varga
KO 33 Nathan Erickson
PR 5 Steve McShane or Tony Tate
KR 12 Darron Wheeler and Tony Tate
GV Dad

I heard talk that Khalen was going to be moved to NG. Not sure how reliable that is.
Leatherneck57

Myron Cunningham is no longer on the team. He’s at a JUCO in Iowa. The term STUDENT athlete didn’t work out so well for him.
rocki

Not sure where to put this, but who was wearing #3 in the clip that showed today's practice?
Leatherneck57

McShane...
rocki

Leatherneck57 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:27 pm McShane...
Thanks. I thought so, but wasn't sure - he's had several numbers over the years.