Visiting for Montana

Western_101

I have never stayed in the Union Hotel. I certainly know where it is, but beyond that I don't really know anything about it.

Can anyone here speak to the comfort, accouterments and overall level of satisfaction. Might be nice for out of towners to be able to get a drink in the Union (and a burger or pizza past 10:00). Wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to have a small Alumni Lounge (read alumni and any visiting fans) in the Union.

Maybe it was the coincidental timing of The NFL Rams making Macomb their home and my first year of school there. However, I saw some incredible college football for a number of years in Macomb. Heck Walter Payton even paid us a visit. Went to the Pace a few times (Ok many times) and saw some Hulking figures hanging out (first week of school before they left) being bemused by all the silly College kids trying to look cool.

Fond memories.

Post Scipt:

For clarification, Walter Payton was here just the one time to my knowledge, unrelated to NFL training camp. He was here to support his Jackson St. team in a first round playoff game in 1997. Also I was the one going to the Pace. :D
Last edited by Western_101 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
alabamagrizzly

Thanks for the good info everyone. It’s always nice to hear from the locals on what’s some good things to do. Most importantly though, it should be a good game. FYI though, if history repeating itself and good/bad luck is true, y’all will win. I moved to Alabama from Montana after the 2009 season and had attended most every home game up to then. If you know Montana history, we were pretty good up tell that year. My dad said I couldn’t move cus I was the Griz’s good luck charm. Well I did and we have since kinda spiraled to mediocrity. Since down here, I have vowed to go to any game w/in a 1,000 miles from me. That’s been Tennessee, Appalachian St, and Liberty. All three have been losses. I’m hoping luck ain’t true and we buck the trend but if we lose again, I’m really going to start to reconsider going to the “close” games anymore :) . Our next game close to us is Missouri St in ‘19 and I’ll go to that one too but if we lose it, I’m done.

Good luck and Go Griz.
GV Dad

I think the Mo State game would be a pretty safe trip for you and the Grizz :-)
Western_101

Alabama Griz' What are the chances of Montana getting Alabama on the schedule. I'm sure that would be way too awesome (and unlikely) to happen.

Who knows maybe the Griz' could stun 'Bama App State style. 8-)

Another rambling (no, not drunk just bored). Maybe the Griz' / 'Necks should schedule an annual home and away. "The Great American Apostrophe Classic"

Welp, that's enough incoherent babble to prob. get me banned for a month. :lol:

Carry on.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:16 amWelp, that's enough incoherent babble to prob. get me banned for a month. :lol:
You should know by now it takes more than that to get banned around these parts.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

Yes,

yes I do, you are a patient man and despite many peoples best efforts on various boards to bait you into low brow tit for tat bickering you have always maintained your cool, friendly, spirited banter. Without compromising your dignity or convictions. ;)

BTW none of this belongs in the football forum, but, nice work on the revamped look of Leathernecknation.

One observation you might shoulda have shouted from the mountain tops that "Good things are coming to leathernecknation." Get us worked into a frenzy only to find out the hoopla is a website has been revamped.

Wait, :roll: that sounds vaguely familiar somehow.......
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:52 am One observation you might shoulda have shouted from the mountain tops that "Good things are coming to leathernecknation." Get us worked into a frenzy only to find out the hoopla is a website has been revamped.

Wait, :roll: that sounds vaguely familiar somehow.......
Oooh...good idea. I'll have to remember that if I decide to change the font of the title bar ;)
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
alabamagrizzly

GV Dad wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:26 am I think the Mo State game would be a pretty safe trip for you and the Grizz :-)
Lord I hope so. If we lose that one, I will truly know I shouldn’t go to anymore Griz games :lol:
Western_101

AlabamaGrizzley, you will have a small delay in your travel plans after the game. Apparently the Four-lane expressway between Monmouth and Galesburg will be closed during the time you will be here. Not a big deal, but might add a few minutes to your travel North after the game.

http://www.pjstar.com/news/20180417/nic ... r-6-months
wiu712

RedNeck wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:29 am The Four-lane expressway between Monmouth and Galesburg will be closed.
The 4-lane Highway 34 between Monmouth and Galesburg is now closed for re-paving. It is due to re-open in late October.

The marked detour will be the old Highway 34 (now marked as Route 164). It is a two-lane road.