Regular Season Game in Chicago

GV Dad

Has WIU ever played a game at Soldier Field or Wrigley? There are 2 MIAA (A Division 2 Conf Central to KC) that play a game at Arrowhead Stadium every year. It's a big deal, and both schools get a pretty good turnout. Usually around 30,000 or so, as they both have pretty good Alumni numbers in Kansas City.

I'd love to see Western get something started in Chicago with another team. Eastern Illinois or Northern Illinois maybe? It would be good revenue for the team and also a great way to reach some Chicago area Alums, and maybe drive up some out of town attendance at home games. Also good for recruiting. Thoughts?
WIU11DC

I love the idea but it would have to be a FBS game. I don't think we could fill soliders field or wrigley up with a regional FCS team. Unless we played at the Fire's stadium or something a little smaller. I would love to come home for a WIU vs Northwestern at solider field.
sealhall74

Yeah, I do like the idea. 30K attendance might be a stretch for a WIU and EIU game though. That one might be more 10-15 range. Would Chicago Park District charge a hefty sum to play at Soldier Field? Probably so we might not walk away with too much change in our pockets. Still a good idea though.

In fact, I like this idea so much it will become part of the #MIGAC bylaws.

For years, I have been saying that WIU needs to have at least a couple of hoops games each year in the Quad Cities to test the waters. You have to take some gambles every now and then.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Northern Illinois has played some football games in Chicago--usually at Soldier Field.

But their last game in Chicago was a 2016 MAC game with Toledo that was played at White Sox Park.