2018 Preview - DL

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

And hey...how about the defensive line guys as well...

#96, Shabar Wilson, DT, 6-0, 295, Sophomore
#98, Luke Terrill, DT, 6-2, 320, R-Freshman
#44, LaCale London, DL, 6-5, 280
#52, Alijah Burno, DL, 6-1, 250, R-Sophomore
#54, Rahsul Katumbusi, DL, 6-1, 280, R-Freshman
#55, Cole Watts, DL, 6-2, 226, R-Freshman
#56, Nathan Oquendo, DL, 6-2, 290, Senior
#90, Malik Burns, DL, Freshman
#92, Tristan Pfeiffer, DL, 6-4, 240, Freshman
#93, Jake Detiveaux, DL, Freshman
#94, Grant Kasal, DL, 6-5, 265, Senior
#97, Derrell Grisby, DL, Freshman
#99, Khalen Saunders, DL, 6-2, 310, Senior
#23, Eryk Preston, DE, 6-4, 228, R-Sophomore
#91, Kyle Williams, DE, 6-4, 265, R-Sophomore

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Guys gone from last year
Colin Olson - played in 12 games, had 26 total tackles, 6.5 for loss with 2.5 sacks. Also had 1 fumble recovery.
Mick Nelson - played in 12 games, 25 total tackls, 5 for loss with 2.5 sacks.
J'Len Smith - played in 12 games as a freshman with 16 tackles, 5.5 for loss, 1 forced fumble. No longer listed on roster; I don't think I've heard why.

Guys returning who had playing time last year
Khalen Saunders - 12 games, 57 tackles, 12 for loss, 7.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles (1 recovery), 4 qb hurries.
Kyle Williams - 12 games, 11 tackles, 3 for loss w/ 2.5 sacks
Shabar Wilson - 12 games, 11 tackles, 1.5 for loss w/ .5 sacks
Nathan Oquendo - 7 games, 5 tackles, .5 for loss
Grant Kasal - 12 games, 5 tackles
Eryk Preston - 3 games, 1 tackle, 1 for loss

Predictions for this year
Like with the O-line, we have a large group of guys. It seems like we had a pretty large recruiting class two years ago, so a lot of guys who were freshmen last year and will all be available to play this year. Again, guys can now play in up to 4 games in their redshirt year, so we'll probably see a good amount of switching in some of the freshman guys in for a few plays here and there to see what they can do and get them a bit of experience before having them go "full time".

Khalen Saunders was a first-team All-MVFC D-lineman last season as a Junior and will have quite a few eyes on him this year as he hopes to repeat that award and possibly earn a high spot on the Buchanan Award Watch List. I haven't heard if we're going to continue with the 3-4 defense in general, but if that's the case, we'll probably see Saunders, Williams and Wilson starting most of the time.

LaCale London is a transfer from Iowa Central CC (originally from Peoria area) and played for them in 2016. I don't know what his status was in 2017, but I think he's either gotta be a Sophomore or Junior at this point (listed as freshman on the athletics site). I also noticed that a decent number of guys listed as "Sophomore" on the athletics site are probably actually R-Freshmen...came in last year, didn't play in 2017 season, so I've changed their status above where applicable.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

3-4 will still be their base D, but from what I'm hearing they will run multiple fronts. Lot's of talent in this group, look for them to get several kids snaps, and put players in packages and situations to utilize their talents.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:19 pm 3-4 will still be their base D, but from what I'm hearing they will run multiple fronts. Lot's of talent in this group, look for them to get several kids snaps, and put players in packages and situations to utilize their talents.
Nice, I was hoping you'd be able to chime in with a bit more info.
I'd love to see us able to get some of the freshmen in a couple of games to get a good look at them in that type of situation. Maybe the coaches can find a few gems that can be a real solid core of the D-line for the next 4 years.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:25 pm
GV Dad wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:19 pm 3-4 will still be their base D, but from what I'm hearing they will run multiple fronts. Lot's of talent in this group, look for them to get several kids snaps, and put players in packages and situations to utilize their talents.
Nice, I was hoping you'd be able to chime in with a bit more info.
I'd love to see us able to get some of the freshmen in a couple of games to get a good look at them in that type of situation. Maybe the coaches can find a few gems that can be a real solid core of the D-line for the next 4 years.
I think everyone is excited for the red shirt rule change. We'll have to wait and see how everything plays out, but the chance of early PT is great for these kids morale.
WIU2DC

Has anyone seen anything on twitter about J’Len Smith leaving? He was pretty good and was hopefully he’d be our “Saunders” after he graduated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GV Dad

J'Len transferred. Wanted to be closer to home from my understanding.
WIU2DC

GV Dad wrote:J'Len transferred. Wanted to be closer to home from my understanding.
Did we play Tennessee Tech, in some parts because he grew up right around there? Or was that a different freshman? Also, where did he transfer to?

GV Dad

WIU2DC wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:45 pm
GV Dad wrote:J'Len transferred. Wanted to be closer to home from my understanding.
Did we play Tennessee Tech, in some parts because he grew up right around there? Or was that a different freshman? Also, where did he transfer to?

I don't know the answer to either question, sorry.
rocki

Don't know about J'Len, but Victavious Johnson is from Cookeville. Scored a TD last year when we played Tennessee Tech.
WIU2DC

rocki wrote:Don't know about J'Len, but Victavious Johnson is from Cookeville. Scored a TD last year when we played Tennessee Tech.
Ahhh, okay I knew one of the freshman last year was from there.