Introduce Yourself

BobLovely

Hello! I use my real name here. I graduated from Western in 1974. My best friends in that era were on the football team and during the Mudra years attendance at Hanson Field was excellent. I was in attendance when the all-time attendance record was set against Central Michigan. It was packed that Saturday with great energy. Thankfully, the Leathernecks won the game 24-18.

I presently live in Overland Park, Kansas. I moved here in 2005 after spending most of my adult life in Madison and Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It is great to see Western recruiting the Kansas City area. I believe Western is an excellent destination for young people. It is exactly 300 miles from my home to the Q Lot and Hanson Field. I try to return for one game each football season.

Occupationally, I have my own firm whereby I am an Executive Coach and Career Coach. I have coached over 900 people these past 11 years. I spent most of my career in corporate life including 13 years in the executive suite. I began my career in radio as an announcer in Madison. I still do some occasional voice-over work, just for fun.

I treasure my years in Macomb. Football Saturdays were an event. Great memories!

It is nice to meet everyone. I really enjoy this board.

Best,

Bob
GV Dad

BobLovely wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:53 pm Hello! I use my real name here. I graduated from Western in 1974. My best friends in that era were on the football team and during the Mudra years attendance at Hanson Field was excellent. I was in attendance when the all-time attendance record was set against Central Michigan. It was packed that Saturday with great energy. Thankfully, the Leathernecks won the game 24-18.

I presently live in Overland Park, Kansas. I moved here in 2005 after spending most of my adult life in Madison and Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It is great to see Western recruiting the Kansas City area. I believe Western is an excellent destination for young people. It is exactly 300 miles from my home to the Q Lot and Hanson Field. I try to return for one game each football season.

Occupationally, I have my own firm whereby I am an Executive Coach and Career Coach. I have coached over 900 people these past 11 years. I spent most of my career in corporate life including 13 years in the executive suite. I began my career in radio as an announcer in Madison. I still do some occasional voice-over work, just for fun.

I treasure my years in Macomb. Football Saturdays were an event. Great memories!

Best,

Bob
Great to meet you Bob! Glad to see all the Alumni in the KC area. There was a good turnout at the Royals game last Wednesday, where you there?
Purple Grandma

I rarely post, but read almost everything on LN. I grew up in rural Henderson County, moved to Macomb after getting married just before graduating from Illinois State and then worked a couple of years in retail on the square. I started working at WIU in 1976 and retired two years ago. I've worked in a few different offices on campus, but after taking a few years off to care for a couple of toddlers (ST and his sister), I spent 31 years in the Financial Aid Office. We started attending WIU football games when Scott, and then his sister, began marching with the Marching Leathernecks and I've been a Leatherneck football fan ever since. I can 'honestly' say I now bleed purple and have a stronger connection to Western than my alma matar. I am also a little bit closer to Hanson Field (by maybe 100 feet) than Scott.

Note: One reason Scott is such a die hard Leatherneck may be that he was born on the first day of the fall semester!

Mary
BobLovely

GV Dad wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:54 pm
BobLovely wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:53 pm Hello! I use my real name here. I graduated from Western in 1974. My best friends in that era were on the football team and during the Mudra years attendance at Hanson Field was excellent. I was in attendance when the all-time attendance record was set against Central Michigan. It was packed that Saturday with great energy. Thankfully, the Leathernecks won the game 24-18.

Best,

Bob
Great to meet you Bob! Glad to see all the Alumni in the KC area. There was a good turnout at the Royals game last Wednesday, where you there?
Thank you! I was not at the Royals game. I am sure it was fun. There seems to be quite a number of Western alumni in the KC area.
GV Dad

Purple Grandma wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:13 am I rarely post, but read almost everything on LN. I grew up in rural Henderson County, moved to Macomb after getting married just before graduating from Illinois State and then worked a couple of years in retail on the square. I started working at WIU in 1976 and retired two years ago. I've worked in a few different offices on campus, but after taking a few years off to care for a couple of toddlers (ST and his sister), I spent 31 years in the Financial Aid Office. We started attending WIU football games when Scott, and then his sister, began marching with the Marching Leathernecks and I've been a Leatherneck football fan ever since. I can 'honestly' say I now bleed purple and have a stronger connection to Western than my alma matar. I am also a little bit closer to Hanson Field (by maybe 100 feet) than Scott.

Note: One reason Scott is such a die hard Leatherneck may be that he was born on the first day of the fall semester!

Mary
Nice to meet you Mary! I'm sure any embarrassing stories of Scott that you can share would be appreciated by all! LOL
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:44 am Nice to meet you Mary! I'm sure any embarrassing stories of Scott that you can share would be appreciated by all! LOL
Nah, there aren't any of those :lol:
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Guitart

I have enjoyed football since I was a little kid. Played in HS and thought I was pretty good. After HS, I registered for college at Jacksonville State and was going to walk on. Then I realized I had no business going to college yet or playing football. Eventually I went to college in Davenport, IA and earned my BA. Played guitar instead of football.

I attended WIU as a grad student from 12-14 and earned my teacher certification. I am now an art teacher in Sherrard, IL district and love it. My short time at WIU changed my life and career path. My classrooms always have WIU stuff hanging up. I commuted from QC Iowa to Macomb. Since the drive was long, I made sure to make the best of my time by involving myself in campus life. I was a member of Kappa Pi art fraternity. I am a member of WIU Alumni Assoc. and attend local gatherings.

My wife and I are football fans and have supported our local HS team and were fan club members of the first QC Steamwheelers. Been to several Bears and Iowa games and Iowa HS State games at the UNIDome. The one thing I wanted to do, and still have not, was attend a WIU football game. Our older daughters are UNI Panthers and we have not been to any UNI games either. My wife and I are foster and adoptive parents. With small kids at home, it is tough to find the time when we can get away. Maybe when our younger kids get older. I have posted maybe a few times but mostly enjoy reading. Keep up the good work.
GV Dad

Guitart wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:14 am I have enjoyed football since I was a little kid. Played in HS and thought I was pretty good. After HS, I registered for college at Jacksonville State and was going to walk on. Then I realized I had no business going to college yet or playing football. Eventually I went to college in Davenport, IA and earned my BA. Played guitar instead of football.

I attended WIU as a grad student from 12-14 and earned my teacher certification. I am now an art teacher in Sherrard, IL district and love it. My short time at WIU changed my life and career path. My classrooms always have WIU stuff hanging up. I commuted from QC Iowa to Macomb. Since the drive was long, I made sure to make the best of my time by involving myself in campus life. I was a member of Kappa Pi art fraternity. I am a member of WIU Alumni Assoc. and attend local gatherings.

My wife and I are football fans and have supported our local HS team and were fan club members of the first QC Steamwheelers. Been to several Bears and Iowa games and Iowa HS State games at the UNIDome. The one thing I wanted to do, and still have not, was attend a WIU football game. Our older daughters are UNI Panthers and we have not been to any UNI games either. My wife and I are foster and adoptive parents. With small kids at home, it is tough to find the time when we can get away. Maybe when our younger kids get older. I have posted maybe a few times but mostly enjoy reading. Keep up the good work.
Nice to meet you Guitart! I hope you can make it down for some games, lot's of fun stuff for the little ones to do as well as see a great team! I'll add the link to the kid's club below. Or at least attempt too :D

https://goleathernecks.com/sports/2014/ ... 45156.aspx
Neckfansince71

I liken this as a bit of a "roll call!" I became a Leatherneck fan in the Fall of 1971, hence my name "Neckfansince71!" I got the opportunity of a life time when I graduated from WIU in 1975 (Biology) and ended up teaching, coaching, and serving as an administrator in a suburban school for 34 years. I was totally nuts about athletics and I happened to play basketball for one of the "Hebron" twins who captured the state championship in basketball in 1952. Currently I am proud to say that I am working with the athletic department as the Chicagoland Leatherneck contact in the suburbs of Chicago. We get to 3 or 4 football games a year and I try to get to at least a couple of men's and women's basketball games also. I keep track of everything Leatherneck. I love "WIU" but know that there are things that need to change in this high tech and competitive world of education. I met my wife in Macomb in 1973, and my daughter graduated from WIIU in speech pathlology in 2009. My older daughter wanted to come to WIU also but because of a disability, she ended up at WWhitewater. My job as LC liaison has given me the opportunity to meet a "whole lotta" of WIU alumni and I just can't get over how much people loved their time in Macomb, no matter when they graduated. I know some of you think I am way too positive in my posts, but I would rather be part of the solution when a problem occurs. I will always be a Leatherneck! ;) jc
GV Dad

Neckfansince71 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:45 am I liken this as a bit of a "roll call!" I became a Leatherneck fan in the Fall of 1971, hence my name "Neckfansince71!" I got the opportunity of a life time when I graduated from WIU in 1975 (Biology) and ended up teaching, coaching, and serving as an administrator in a suburban school for 34 years. I was totally nuts about athletics and I happened to play basketball for one of the "Hebron" twins who captured the state championship in basketball in 1952. Currently I am proud to say that I am working with the athletic department as the Chicagoland Leatherneck contact in the suburbs of Chicago. We get to 3 or 4 football games a year and I try to get to at least a couple of men's and women's basketball games also. I keep track of everything Leatherneck. I love "WIU" but know that there are things that need to change in this high tech and competitive world of education. I met my wife in Macomb in 1973, and my daughter graduated from WIIU in speech pathlology in 2009. My older daughter wanted to come to WIU also but because of a disability, she ended up at WWhitewater. My job as LC liaison has given me the opportunity to meet a "whole lotta" of WIU alumni and I just can't get over how much people loved their time in Macomb, no matter when they graduated. I know some of you think I am way too positive in my posts, but I would rather be part of the solution when a problem occurs. I will always be a Leatherneck! ;) jc
There is absolutely no such thing as too positive! Nothing positive ever comes from the fellowship of the miserable. We need to share some ideas over a couple cold ones someday! :)