Alcohol Sales at Football Games

GV Dad

Tere North wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:42 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:31 am As I understand it, track and field will still be doing regular concessions: hot dogs, brats, sandwiches, pop, candy
Sodexo will be doing alcohol only in a specific area separate from the concession stand.

I could be wrong on that, but that was the idea I was getting from what was written.
So you have to stand in 2 lines :shock: Not very customer friendly for those who want a beer to go with their food or food to go with their beer.
Can we at least see what happens at the first game before the downer brigade starts pissing on it?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote:
Can we at least see what happens at the first game before the downer brigade starts pissing on it?

No matter how it works out, I think it'll be better than it was, and I'm sure it'll be a learning process. Some things will work well, some won't, and given a few tries, it should get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:57 pm No matter how it works out, I think it'll be better than it was, and I'm sure it'll be a learning process. Some things will work well, some won't, and given a few tries, it should get better.
Absolutely, Scott. And key is the effort to improve the football experience. I hope more ideas, along with improvements, result, not just for football, but for Western as a whole.
Western_101

Tere North wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:00 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:57 pm No matter how it works out, I think it'll be better than it was, and I'm sure it'll be a learning process. Some things will work well, some won't, and given a few tries, it should get better.
Absolutely, Scott. And key is the effort to improve the football experience. I hope more ideas, along with improvements, result, not just for football, but for Western as a whole.
Agreed, Western might not yet be able to send in the backhoes and concrete trucks for the West side. However, that doesn't mean that creative minds can't come up with other ways to make the gameday more enjoyable and attract larger crowds.

I liked when they had bands play in Q lot, (38 special, and styxs?) not sure that got people from the lot into the stadium though.

Maybe enticements such as drawings for prizes for people who actually had their ticket scanned and are in the stadium......pizza vouchers for Domino's, free night stay at any Hampton Inn, $100 cash prize, free membership to a Costco (people from Peoria and Chicago area would really go for that). The thing is to win these prizes the person needs to be in the stands and claim it within 5 min (don't want a friend to hear the name, call said winner that is out in Q lot and then stumbles back into the stadium 20 min later).
GV Dad

I liked when they had bands play in Q lot, (38 special, and styxs?) not sure that got people from the lot into the stadium though.

When we went on my son's visit to MO State, they have a pre game party area just North of the stadium. It's actually part of campus. It was packed with students and fans, had a DJ, lot's of businesses with giveaways. We were really impressed when they walked us through, and all the fans clapped and cheered. Then the game started and we noticed no one was in the stadium. After the pregame they all pack up and go home. I am all for ideas that get people into the game. I like your giveaway idea.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:34 am Agreed, Western might not yet be able to send in the backhoes and concrete trucks for the West side. However, that doesn't mean that creative minds can't come up with other ways to make the gameday more enjoyable and attract larger crowds.

Maybe enticements such as drawings for prizes for people who actually had their ticket scanned and are in the stadium......pizza vouchers for Domino's, free night stay at any Hampton Inn, $100 cash prize, free membership to a Costco (people from Peoria and Chicago area would really go for that). The thing is to win these prizes the person needs to be in the stands and claim it within 5 min (don't want a friend to hear the name, call said winner that is out in Q lot and then stumbles back into the stadium 20 min later).
Yup, that was pretty cool. They've still had bands play, although they've been a bit less "well known" and likely quite a bit less expensive. Last year it was a US Air Force Band of Mid-America pop group "Starlifter" with WIU alumnus Denver Murphy: http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php ... e_id=14758

At this point the calendar lists the season opener against Montana as "Family Day" with various activities including Dept of Ag and UUB BBQ Competition: https://goleathernecks.com/sports/2016/ ... tball.aspx. Then there's homecoming, but the next two games don't have a "theme" at this point. Regular season finale is Senior Day.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:34 am
RedNeck wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:34 am Agreed, Western might not yet be able to send in the backhoes and concrete trucks for the West side. However, that doesn't mean that creative minds can't come up with other ways to make the gameday more enjoyable and attract larger crowds.

Yup, that was pretty cool. They've still had bands play, although they've been a bit less "well known" and likely quite a bit less expensive. Last year it was a US Air Force Band of Mid-America pop group "Starlifter" with WIU alumnus Denver Murphy: http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php ... e_id=14758

At this point the calendar lists the season opener against Montana as "Family Day" with various activities including Dept of Ag and UUB BBQ Competition: https://goleathernecks.com/sports/2016/ ... tball.aspx. Then there's homecoming, but the next two games don't have a "theme" at this point. Regular season finale is Senior Day.
You got all kinds of room north of the field and inside the fences to have a band stage set up. You could be sitting back in your stadium seat sipping on a beer while enjoying the tunes.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Cheers and Beers! ==> WIU to sell alcohol at football games.

From today's Peoria Journal-Star:
http://www.pjstar.com/news/20180822/nic ... ball-games
GV Dad

wiu712 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:55 am Cheers and Beers! ==> WIU to sell alcohol at football games.

"Not necessarily for the football. The Leathernecks are picked to finish seventh this year in the Missouri Valley Football Conference. But if the going gets tough at WIU home games, fans will be able to drown their sorrows, although not to excess."

Who is this clown?! Can't wait to hear all these people backtracking when this season is over!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:22 am
wiu712 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:55 am Cheers and Beers! ==> WIU to sell alcohol at football games.

"Not necessarily for the football. The Leathernecks are picked to finish seventh this year in the Missouri Valley Football Conference. But if the going gets tough at WIU home games, fans will be able to drown their sorrows, although not to excess."

Who is this clown?! Can't wait to hear all these people backtracking when this season is over!
Eh...seems like everyone is picking them to be down this year. I understand "down"...I don't understand as far down as many are suggesting. Sure, we lost a couple of really good players, but there's enough talent on the team to step up and fill in most of the gaps. I often see the tough non-conference schedule stated as a reason, and yes, the Montana schools are decent although both will have new QBs this year (MT's transferred, MSU's stepped away from football for a year for academics) and MT has a new coach. Illinois might be a little better than last year and might be a little better than Coastal Carolina, but we should still be able to compete favorably with them. And, we replaced SDSU on our conference schedule with YSU, which should be an easier game for us. A lot of places seem to be really "bullish" on YSU this year, but with all the YSU fans I've talked to online, it sounds like it'll be a struggle to get above .500 for them....even with a couple of easy non-conference games. Personally, I think 2-1 in OOC and 5-3 in MVFC for a 7-4 regular season record and a spot in the playoffs sounds likely. That's still "down" from last year (8-3 regular season), but still solid.