ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Alcohol Sales Pilot Program Begins at WIU Leatherneck Football Games

Although I'm not sure they should be selling alcohol to pilots :lol:
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU2DC

I really like the idea but I’m also hoping none of the students over indulge at the game. I’m hoping it gets more students into the stands. But, where was this when I was a student? I had to sneak in booze back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GV Dad

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:56 pm Alcohol Sales Pilot Program Begins at WIU Leatherneck Football Games

Although I'm not sure they should be selling alcohol to pilots :lol:
First off, good one! :lol:

Secondly, this should help increase attendance and revenue. Win Win as long as people are cool about it. Great move for the school.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:00 pm First off, good one! :lol:

Secondly, this should help increase attendance and revenue. Win Win as long as people are cool about it. Great move for the school.
Agreed...most schools are going this direction. I personally don't drink much and I don't need alcohol to enjoy a football game, but I understand that there are people that want to be able to drink a beer or two while watching the game. It doesn't sound like this is going to be the type of situation where you'll have a bunch of kids getting completely wasted, since I'm guessing they won't be all that cheap (Sodexo). I'm all for anything that will bring in more fans and help them get up off their butts to cheer during the game.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Leatherneck57

Our students have no excuses now! Get your butts in the seats!

There will always be a few that abuse or test the system but it can’t spoil what the university is doing to get fans in the stands!
BobLovely

I do not drink alcoholic beverages when I watch football games in person and, not before the game either, so I have never understood the fascination. I am too into the game. After the game, yes! At the last Western game I attended, I had to dodge "puke splatters" in the Q Lot as I walked on my way into Hanson Field. Now, I can do so inside the stadium as well! Seriously, this is likely a wise move in order to increase attendance at the games. Maybe we can bring back the "free beer in the end zone" chant.

Bob
sealhall74

I can foresee two problems right from the getgo. First, I dont think there are concession sales on the south end which means if I want a hot dog to go with my beer, I have to do a lot of unnecessary walking. Boo! Second, what is the specific 3rd quarter policy? Sales stop immediately at end of 3rd quarter so that anyone already in line is SOL (this is the case at Maryland right now)? If there is only a single beer line, that line may get long. Maryland has many sales points. Also, that line needs to be oriented so that people can still see what is happening on the field.
Embrace the pace of the race.
basfan445

I don't think I've read a case yet where revenue hasn't gone up because of this. If it can get more butts in seats even better. I know this idea has been thrown out on this board from time to time so it's exciting to see it actually happening. I hope it all works out fine and that there are more positives than negatives to this.
GV Dad

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:08 pm I can foresee two problems right from the getgo. First, I dont think there are concession sales on the south end which means if I want a hot dog to go with my beer, I have to do a lot of unnecessary walking. Boo! Second, what is the specific 3rd quarter policy? Sales stop immediately at end of 3rd quarter so that anyone already in line is SOL (this is the case at Maryland right now)? If there is only a single beer line, that line may get long. Maryland has many sales points. Also, that line needs to be oriented so that people can still see what is happening on the field.
For your first question, I would hope they were smart enough business people to figure out they should have full concessions with the beer sales. Because you are right, they would be missing out on a lot of sales if they didn't.
GV Dad

basfan445 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:37 pm I don't think I've read a case yet where revenue hasn't gone up because of this. If it can get more butts in seats even better. I know this idea has been thrown out on this board from time to time so it's exciting to see it actually happening. I hope it all works out fine and that there are more positives than negatives to this.
Agreed! It's nice to see the school being creative and willing to try new things to enhance the gameday experience.