Alcohol Sales at Football Games

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Concessions at the South end zone - yes, they serve concessions there. It's pretty much a mirror image of the building at the north end. My halftime tradition is to go over to the home side (I usually sit next to the band on the east side), watch the halftime show, then when they're done and marching off the field and around to the east side again, I head over and hit up the south concession stand, grab a brat with mustard and a diet coke, and get back to me seat right at kickoff for the second half.

Profits - I have heard of a few schools who have done this that didn't actually make any more money from it (I think they essentially broke even). More $ would be nice, but even if they just break even but are able to bring in more fans, that's good enough for me. Really though, when it comes to profit or more fans...
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:08 pm I don't think there are concession sales on the south end.
There are concession stands in the northeast and southeast corners of Hanson Field. They were built in 2007 when the new east side seating was done.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:22 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:08 pm I don't think there are concession sales on the south end.
There are concession stands in the northeast and southeast corners of Hanson Field. They were built in 2007 when the new east side seating was done.
That is good news; I don't remember the SE booths being open when I was there but maybe I just did not look or maybe they only opened them if X number of people are expected. Well, Y will be greater than X now for sure. Restroom lines will definitely get longer now as well. Its a good thing. So is Sodexo in charge of all concessions at the games? No more coaches having to instruct their athletes on the finer details of how to make change for a $20. ;)
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:34 am That is good news; I don't remember the SE booths being open when I was there but maybe I just did not look or maybe they only opened them if X number of people are expected. Well, Y will be greater than X now for sure. Restroom lines will definitely get longer now as well. Its a good thing. So is Sodexo in charge of all concessions at the games? No more coaches having to instruct their athletes on the finer details of how to make change for a $20. ;)
As far as I know, the concessions have always been open on the south end, at least in the first half and through the end of halftime. I've been doing my "brat and diet coke" thing pretty much since they built the new buildings there.

I would assume at this point that it'll still be the track and field team managing the concessions, but there will be a separate area set aside for alcohol sales. That area will be managed by Sodexho. At least that's how I understand it. We'll have to see once Montana comes to town if that's how it'll work or not.

Also, I really think that Sodexho needs to partner with Forgottonia Brewing and sell their locally-produced beer (it'd have to be in 2019, they're not up and running yet). They could even do a special brew for that...Leatherneck Lager?...hmmm...probably not, you'd have to be careful with the name so you don't make anyone mad. Still, I'm sure they could come up with something that works.
GV Dad

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:33 am
sealhall74 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:34 am That is good news; I don't remember the SE booths being open when I was there but maybe I just did not look or maybe they only opened them if X number of people are expected. Well, Y will be greater than X now for sure. Restroom lines will definitely get longer now as well. Its a good thing. So is Sodexo in charge of all concessions at the games? No more coaches having to instruct their athletes on the finer details of how to make change for a $20. ;)
As far as I know, the concessions have always been open on the south end, at least in the first half and through the end of halftime. I've been doing my "brat and diet coke" thing pretty much since they built the new buildings there.

I would assume at this point that it'll still be the track and field team managing the concessions, but there will be a separate area set aside for alcohol sales. That area will be managed by Sodexho. At least that's how I understand it. We'll have to see once Montana comes to town if that's how it'll work or not.

Also, I really think that Sodexho needs to partner with Forgottonia Brewing and sell their locally-produced beer (it'd have to be in 2019, they're not up and running yet). They could even do a special brew for that...Leatherneck Lager?...hmmm...probably not, you'd have to be careful with the name so you don't make anyone mad. Still, I'm sure they could come up with something that works.
Great idea to get the local brewer involved!
leatherneckcountry

Great if I want a soda I’ll have to give more money to Sodexo my opinion is not very high of them
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:23 am Great if I want a soda I’ll have to give more money to Sodexo my opinion is not very high of them
As I understand it, track and field will still be doing regular concessions: hot dogs, brats, sandwiches, pop, candy
Sodexo will be doing alcohol only in a specific area separate from the concession stand.

I could be wrong on that, but that was the idea I was getting from what was written.
Western_101

This a great move.

Many folks associate Football with imbibing and eating. Kinda making it a festive occasion.

Sodexo can charge $6 dollars a beer, make money, and keep more fans in the Stadium after halftime. I just like the idea that it is an option now. People can't use the excuse that they would rather watch it at BWW because they want to drink beer. Well by George! now they can. In the friendly confines of Hanson Field.

Oh, I hate that I'm getting older but I love that football is nearly here.
GV Dad

At Missouri State games, they sell the 24oz cans. Draft beer is cheaper, but the cans are prob easier through the regular concession stands. May be able to set up keg boxes in a temp location like this sounds to be. Either way, looking forward to it!
Tere North

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:31 am As I understand it, track and field will still be doing regular concessions: hot dogs, brats, sandwiches, pop, candy
Sodexo will be doing alcohol only in a specific area separate from the concession stand.

I could be wrong on that, but that was the idea I was getting from what was written.
So you have to stand in 2 lines :shock: Not very customer friendly for those who want a beer to go with their food or food to go with their beer.