Image AT Image

Game Time: 8 PM (Central) on Thursday, August 30th, 2018
Weather:
ImageImage

Western Illinois Game Notes
Montana State Game Notes

TV/Radio:
Streaming Video (paid) @ MSUBobcats.com
TV - possibly options for you if you are in an area that gets Root Sports or SWX Montana (mostly MT and Pacific Northwest areas)
Radio: WRMS 94.3 (Beardstown), WJEQ 102.7 (Macomb)
Streaming Audio - wrmsfm.com, WRMS on Tunein.com

About the Bobcats
The Montana State Bobcats ended up in the middle of the pack last year with a 5-6 record and wins over North Dakota, Portland State, Northern Colorado, Idaho State, and rival Montana. It looked like MSU would be in decent shape offensively, with 2-year starter QB Chris Murray at the reigns (he put up just under 1600 yards passing and 1,124 yards rushing with 15 passing TDs and 10 rushing TDs last year), however news came out in mid-July that Murray would be missing the 2018 season to focus on academics. They have a couple of other guys who will compete for the position, transfer QB Travis Jonsen or possibly redshirt freshman Tucker Rovig, but offense could be an issue. On the other side of the ball, DT Tucker Yates was named to the Big Sky preseason all-conference team, but the top two tacklers from last year, Mac Bignell and Bryson McCabe are both gone. Montana State is projected to finish 8th out of 13 in both of the conference preseason polls (coaches and media).

This matchup is the first of, as near as I can tell, 8 MVFC vs Big Sky matchups this season. WIU and MSU both have another “opposing conference” matchup with MSU playing at South Dakota State next weekend and WIU hosting Montana the weekend after that.

Series History
This is the third meeting between the two teams with MSU winning both. The last matchup was in 1993 when MSU beat WIU 29-16 in Macomb.

Predictions
Massey - 28-21, WIU win
Compughterratings.com - 30-23, WIU win
Sagarin (calculation, doesn't round) - WIU by 4.07
5dimes.eu - WIU by 3
Average margin: WIU by 5.27

Rankings
Sagarin (out of all 254 DI teams): WIU 125, MSU 153
Massey Composite: WIU 5, MSU 17

My Take
It's the first game of the season for both teams, so there's going to be a lot of question marks until we actually get on the field. WIU has lost the services of some pretty phenomenal players: Brett Taylor, Jacob Judd, Jaelon Acklin, etc. and has a new coach (although a decent number of coaches that were here last year). MSU's QB from last year is having to sit out this year to focus on academics, and they've lost quality players as well, including LB Mac Bignell, T Dylan Mahoney, and S Bryson McCabe. WIU is currently favored by a little in most places that I've seen do predictions, but you never really know until gametime. It's likely the "homer" in me, but I feel like WIU is going to exceed most people's expectations and not drop as much as they think we will.
Because of that, my prediction is a 10-point Leatherneck victory to kick off the 2018 season.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
tjk1985

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:32 pm Image AT Image

Game Time: 8 PM (Central) on Thursday, August 30th, 2018
Weather:
ImageImage

Western Illinois Game Notes
Montana State Game Notes

My Take
It's the first game of the season for both teams, so there's going to be a lot of question marks until we actually get on the field. WIU has lost the services of some pretty phenomenal players: Brett Taylor, Jacob Judd, Jaelon Acklin, etc. and has a new coach (although a decent number of coaches that were here last year). MSU's QB from last year is having to sit out this year to focus on academics, and they've lost quality players as well, including LB Mac Bignell, T Dylan Mahoney, and S Bryson McCabe. WIU is currently favored by a little in most places that I've seen do predictions, but you never really know until gametime. It's likely the "homer" in me, but I feel like WIU is going to exceed most people's expectations and not drop as much as they think we will.
Because of that, my prediction is a 10-point Leatherneck victory to kick off the 2018 season.
I’ll take that!!
letsgonecks

WIU 31 MSU 14
wrj

I saw your athletic department semi pass through Sturgis this morning. I assume it was on it's way to Bozeman. I have not posted in a long time. I want to wish your team good luck this week. We get Montana State next week.
A proud lifelong fan of the Jackrabbits of South Dakota State University.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wrj wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:27 pm I saw your athletic department semi pass through Sturgis this morning. I assume it was on it's way to Bozeman. I have not posted in a long time. I want to wish your team good luck this week. We get Montana State next week.
Yup, actually Assistant AD for Development Michael Jones and a his father-in-law (who I assume is a truck driver by trade) headed out yesterday with the new semi. He's been tweeting along the way, which has been kinda fun:

leatherneckcountry

Has anyone seen the depth chart?
wrj

It is a very nice looking semi with a great paint job. I see an occasional power 5 university equipment semi roll through from time to time
Your design is as good as any. I am glad to see that he posted about my town.😀🐰
A proud lifelong fan of the Jackrabbits of South Dakota State University.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:42 pm Has anyone seen the depth chart?
Page 5 of the game notes (link in the first post).
Here's that page isolated:
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:03 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:42 pm Has anyone seen the depth chart?
Page 5 of the game notes (link in the first post).
Here's that page isolated:
Thanks I never thought to look in game notes great to see Glisan listed as one of the starting LB know him since he was about 8 as we are both from small town Abingdon.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Ahem...

IT'S GAAAAAMEDAAAAAAY!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk