WIU at Montana State (8/30/2018)

DriscollCat

Leatherneck177 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:58 pm So either MSU played one of their better halfs or football in quite some time or the Necks might have a pretty challenging year. Is it just me or did anyone feel like last year's squad would have put up 35+ on this team? Obviously we are breaking in some new guys in roles, but it just felt lacking...and the fourth quarter play calling seemed really conservative while MSU seemed to really open it up in the second half.

OLine - good run block at times, pass block not so great, seemed to always be pressured on the blind side.
DLine - not bad, although pass rush wasn't very strong...perhaps they hung back to read the running QB.
Secondary - seemed OK, although I'm not sure why we didn't adjust on the bubble screens and short routes? QB obviously could not throw a deep ball.
Special Teams - kicking didn't bother me, tackling and covering the punts/kick offs did.

With that being said, some new good faces on both sides of the ball. There is potential on the team. I thought Illinois was winnable, now not so sure about that. Montana is an absolute must.

Hoping for 7-4 this year, that should get it done playoff wise....but I could also see a 5-6 season coming our way as well if last night's trends continue.
Washington State (6-3 in Pac 12) didn't even put up 35 on us last year and we are much improved since then. Nobody will be putting 35 points up on us this year.
Western_101

Definatley should have won that game. (Thats what UNI thought last year when they had us all but beat and we stole the game from them :lol: ). Bobcats look like a playoff team this year.

Maybe the football Gods will be in favorable mood when NDSU comes to town and we steal a game back. I think we can all agree that if we go 0-3 heading into conference play our playoff hopes are slim to none.
Guitart

A shame we could not close the deal. I too hope this is a wake up.
I was watching JMU vs NC State. Rooting for the upset by an FCS team. Could still happen.

BTW - was listening to Chuck Long (legendary Iowa QB from the 80's) interview on radio. He was talking about upcoming Hawkeye games. He said UNI predicted to win their conference. I immediately said aloud in my car, "WHAAAAT???" Where did he get that info or data. As a UNI parent (my oldest two daughters) I too cheer for the Panthers. Unless, of course, vs WIU. But I think Long's statement is optimistic and not entirely realistic.
wiu712

Guitart wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:10 pmwas listening to Chuck Long (legendary Iowa QB from the 80's) interview on radio. He was talking about upcoming Hawkeye games. He said UNI predicted to win their conference.
Maybe he is basing that on the fact that the North Dakota State vs Northern Iowa game will be at Northern Iowa (October 6).

Northern Iowa also has home games with South Dakota State (October 20) and with Illinois State (November 3).
Western_101

We should all be feeling better about ourselves that at least we're not Penguin fans :o

OH the humanity! poor Bo.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:38 pm We should all be feeling better about ourselves that at least we're not Penguin fans :o

OH the humanity! poor Bo.
Poor Bo....ok.
My reaction was more like this:
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
LeatherCy

Consider the source. Long is a Sqawk from way back. He's bounced around jobs since he was fired as HC at San Diego State. His firing was so bad that SD State made him report to an office with a computer for a year in order to get paid his full contract. He did nothing for the school but was able to check his email multiple times per day for a year!!

Panthers may have a QB controversy. They were down 23-0 at half and pulled two year starter Dunn. 2nd string QB rallied UNI to three scores and they lost 23-20. Montana has their old coach back and we pretty amped for their first game. Didn't realize their stadium capacity is 26,000 until I heard Gary Rima, UNI Voice say it this week on his radio shoe. Grizzlies will be very tough when they come to Macomb.
LeatherCy

Correction....Montana was up 26-0 and UNI with backup QB came back to make it 26-23.
DriscollCat

DriscollCat wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:07 pm
Leatherneck177 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:58 pm So either MSU played one of their better halfs or football in quite some time or the Necks might have a pretty challenging year. Is it just me or did anyone feel like last year's squad would have put up 35+ on this team? Obviously we are breaking in some new guys in roles, but it just felt lacking...and the fourth quarter play calling seemed really conservative while MSU seemed to really open it up in the second half.

OLine - good run block at times, pass block not so great, seemed to always be pressured on the blind side.
DLine - not bad, although pass rush wasn't very strong...perhaps they hung back to read the running QB.
Secondary - seemed OK, although I'm not sure why we didn't adjust on the bubble screens and short routes? QB obviously could not throw a deep ball.
Special Teams - kicking didn't bother me, tackling and covering the punts/kick offs did.

With that being said, some new good faces on both sides of the ball. There is potential on the team. I thought Illinois was winnable, now not so sure about that. Montana is an absolute must.

Hoping for 7-4 this year, that should get it done playoff wise....but I could also see a 5-6 season coming our way as well if last night's trends continue.
Washington State (6-3 in Pac 12) didn't even put up 35 on us last year and we are much improved since then. Nobody will be putting 35 points up on us this year.
I figured I better come back here and eat crow. We lost our starting QB and had 5 consecutive 3 and outs to start the game and a very good SDSU offense scored 45 on us.

Best of luck beating the griz. Everyone in Bozeman is rooting for you guys.
rocki

DriscollCat wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:04 pm
DriscollCat wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:07 pm

I figured I better come back here and eat crow. We lost our starting QB and had 5 consecutive 3 and outs to start the game and a very good SDSU offense scored 45 on us.

Best of luck beating the griz. Everyone in Bozeman is rooting for you guys.
Yeah, what happened to him? I watched part of your game and saw his hand very heavily bandaged. Hope he heals quickly!