WIU at Illinois (9/8/2018)

meganeck

Tony Tate is impressive
BobLovely

The Illini have adjusted their pass coverage from primarily man to zone but we have not adjusted our play calls. A coaching error. You beat the zone with crossing routes and pick plays routes in the middle of the field beyond the first down marker. Our offensive line needs to sustain run blocks beyond the initial fire out block [a common problem in college football today].

This game is winnable...

Bob
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yeah, defense is doing well, only gave up a couple of big gains, but it's hard when the offense isn't moving forward. Gotta figure something out on that front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
letsgonecks

They showed their hand on the punt block and we punt into it??? Garbage.
Western_101

ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:50 pm
meganeck wrote:I heard this morning there are like $6 tickets available for the game on the resell market.
They're giving out tickets to students, so the demand can't be that high.

I'm hitting the road to Champaign with my Illinois/WIU alumna sister-in-law. See some of you there.

selfies?
Western_101

ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:11 pm I'm over at the armory right now. Going to walk with the band over to the stadium in a bit.

Yup that lot south of the armory is where I have tailgated in the past.
wiu712

Illinois won the game 34-14. Attendance at UIUC = 39,252.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:44 pm Illinois won the game 34-14. Attendance at UIUC = 39,252.
What was the real head count. Looked more like 8-10K from the images I saw.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Western_101

Tony Tate will be something special.

Vic Johnson is a bust.

I was frustrated with all the screen passes in the flat, because it was keyed in on and pretty much contained (after the first awesome drive)

I suspected McGuire wasn't going deep because there was nothing open. Interceptions came when he tried to force it. There was a guy in our league called Chris Streveler that had the 4/5 second clock in his head and almost always could scramble for 4-6 yards. Ummmmm.....beats a sac, also not bad for a busted play. I love McGuire, however, he holds out hope too long. I admire that he recognizes not to force the ball into a place where the defender can get it. He can thread a needle. I wish he was more mobile when that timer goes off in your head you scramble for yards. Late in the game he was forcing the ball. Interesting how more U of I players were put out of commission due to injury than WIU players.

The color analyst guy was clueless, saying we had a great O line (which we do) but he just compares 2015 to 2018. The 2017 team would have been favored by two touchdowns at Illinois.

This team really has some grit and its obvious that there isn't any other team that is better conditioned than the LEATHERNECKS. Western will be fine, and Handle an improved Montana team.

Good recruits come to WESTERN because we play in a league that is ranked above 3 FBS leagues. Also, WESTERN purposely schedules hard. Tennessee Tech, Northern Arizona, Coastal Carolina, Montana State, U of Illinois, U of Montana. those our are out of league games. Heck, UNI, YSU, and NDSU are coming to Macomb.

There are FBS leagues that would love to get a Montana, Northern Iowa, Youngstown State, North Dakota State coming to their "house" These are namebrand teams for those that follow football.

All , is well, all is good. :)
wiu712

Illini handle Leathernecks 34-14.

From the Galesburg Register-Mail:
http://www.galesburg.com/sports/2018090 ... ecks-34-14