New Helmets

rocki

Either way, our unis look a whole lot better than the ones U of I wears................. :shock:
GV Dad

I think some of you guys that like the W better are doing so out of tradition (and rightly so), whether you realize it or not. As a new Leatherneck fan, I love the Rocky! Much better than the W, but you also need the tradition and connection to the past. Like the Michigan stripes or the Bama plain with numbers.

By the way, I'm also told to "maybe" expect new white unis that haven't been revealed yet... :o
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Actually, the W was new only a few years ago...maybe 3-4. I'll have to go look it up to be sure.

Edit - looks like 2015: http://nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/mvfc.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
EllyK

Love these new helmets. I think the all-white look looks sharp. A year ago I crafted my own personal WIU helmet for display: white shell, purple facemask, and the purple paw print decal. I'd attach a picture but it's been deeply packed away in preparation for a move. Would love to see that too, but as I understand from Western's style guide, the paw print is not to be used for athletics.

I'm also old fashioned and love the block W (Think they switched to it after I left...2014. I saw a lot of different helmets during my time - the classic WIU sweep with Rocky, Rocky with Illinois, Western sweep with the Eagle, Globe, and Rocky. Sure there is a couple more I'm forgetting)

and not a huge fan of the multiple helmets/uniform combinations. But the players love it, the recruits love it, and if it makes them feel good and want to win, then I'm all for it.
Western Illinois University '15
Villanova University '18

Marching Leatherneck 2011-2014