WIU vs Montana (9/15/2018)

rocki

GV Dad wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:21 am
ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:53 am
sealhall74 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:40 am The ironic thing is back in the 70s, the Macomb Inn was the Holiday Inn and by far the best place to stay in town. Visiting teams would always stay there. Lounge always had some good live entertainment going on the weekends. I agree, would love to see someone put some dollars into it, probably raze it first, and rebuild it big enough so that visiting teams did not have to come in from Peoria or Quad Cities. Macomb Western Conference Center has a nice ring to it and could be a place for the University to host their RPTA interns. Nothing quite like on the job training.
Yup, I remember when that was the case. They had a lounge area, restaurant, had events there...the hotel had a pool, which was kinda a big deal at the time....it was a pretty nice place to stay.
Between the Macomb Inn and the old gas station there, it's like that area has nearly been abandoned now though.
It seems like the way it is set up now would be perfect. You could close off sections in the Off season times, but open them for peak. It really just needs be deep cleaned and get a makeover. It is what it is, a place to sleep and shower instead of driving home after games. I don't need anything fancy, just a $70 a night place to lay my head without worrying about catching diphtheria or bitten by vermin while I sleep.
IIRC, the original "plan" the owners had was to make it over into apartments. That didn't fly. Maybe they're getting the income they'd planned for so are letting things go, who knows?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:33 am IIRC, the original "plan" the owners had was to make it over into apartments. That didn't fly. Maybe they're getting the income they'd planned for so are letting things go, who knows?
I think it actually was apartments for a few years, but there ended up being a lot of illegal activities that were going on there (despite the proximity to the state police department location) so it became a hotel again. Like GV Dad said, it could be ok if someone would put a little money into it, but it doesn't seem like the current owners are willing to do that, which is disappointing.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tmelker

I want to say it was my first game at WIU. It was a very enjoyable day for a lot of reasons. My bride who is in advanced stage IV cancer was cleared to make the trip. Our son a true freshman was dressed for his first college football game. The barbecue, band, and excitement pregame was outstanding. Along with a great, come from behind win added to the great day we experienced. I have watched all three of the games and this game starts quickly and then fights to the end. At the end of the day, I think WIU benefited from the weather, as I think Montana struggles late in the game because of it. There are things to work on they just need to to focus on getting better Missouri Valley Football is the real deal and looking at the points some of the teams are hanging on people this team will have to live up to it's moniker of relentless! So far very impressed with the coaching staff and program.
wiu712

GV Dad wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:24 amOne thing I didn't know until after the game, they moved the Student Section to the West side.
The students need to be on the same side as the team. That is now the west side.

Long-time Western fans will remember that the team was on the west sideline until 1972. The team then moved to the east sideline in 1972 and stayed there until some time in the 2000's when they moved back to the west sideline.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:14 pm
GV Dad wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:24 amOne thing I didn't know until after the game, they moved the Student Section to the West side.
The students need to be on the same side as the team. That is now the west side.

Long-time Western fans will remember that the team was on the west sideline until 1972. The team then moved to the east sideline in 1972 and stayed there until some time in the 2000's when they moved back to the west sideline.
There is some medical evidence to indicate that a noisy student section would be better on the east side. Basically, you hear sounds coming at you better than sounds coming from behind you because, unlike the ears of a dog and other animals, our pinnae are fixed. That's my anatomy and physiology lesson for the day. Thank you Dr. Paul Huttinger. If he were still with us, he could no doubt tell us how well we hear under water.

https://health.howstuffworks.com/mental ... aring1.htm
Embrace the pace of the race.
Western_101

wiu712 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:07 pm I was talking with a couple from Montana at the University Union Food Court before the game. The woman said: "We just love the old-time look of your football stadium". The man added: "It's certainly unique". :)
When a couple says that the "stadium has an old time feel, and is certainly unique".

That's not a complement.

That's decent people being charitable about our football facility.
wiu712

Leathernecks maul Montana in home opener.

From today's Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/41888/sports ... me-opener/
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote:
wiu712 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:07 pm I was talking with a couple from Montana at the University Union Food Court before the game. The woman said: "We just love the old-time look of your football stadium". The man added: "It's certainly unique". :)
When a couple says that the "stadium has an old time feel, and is certainly unique".

That's not a complement.

That's decent people being charitable about our football facility.
That's kinda the impression that I was getting from the comment too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

wiu712 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:07 pmI was talking with a couple from Montana at the University Union Food Court before the game. The woman said: "We just love the old-time look of your football stadium". The man added: "It's certainly unique". :lol:
Awwww. C'mon Guys (Red Neck, ST Lawson, et al): I guess that the sarcasm did not translate well in the written form.

Yes, I was very aware that their comments were nothing to be proud of.
Western_101

Yes, Wash/Griz stadium is very nice. top 5 fCS.

However, the Griz do play at conference mate Eastern Washington from time to time, and also lose there from time to time.

Is Hanson Field sub par for D-I in the year 2018? I would say yes.

However, outside of the north end zone, is EWU Roos Field much better than Hanson field?

https://dailytrackpic.wordpress.com/201 ... cheney-wa/
Last edited by Western_101 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.