Image VS Image

Game Time: 3:00 PM on Saturday, September 15th
Weather:
ImageImage

Events: Ag Day/Tailgate BBQ Competition

Game Notes: not posted yet

TV/Radio:
TV/Streaming: ESPN+
Radio: WRMS 94.3 (Beardstown), WJEQ 102.7 (Macomb)
Streaming Audio - wrmsfm.com, WRMS on Tunein.com

About the Grizzlies
Montana is 2-0 on the season following a win over then #13 Northern Iowa 26-23 and then last week beating Drake 48-16. Junior transfer QB Sam Sneed currently leads the team in both passing (263 yards per game, 3 TDs, 129.2 efficiency) and rushing (61.5 ypg w/ 2 TD). RB Adam Eastwood also has 2 TDs and is averaging 33 ypg. The primary receivers are Jerry Louie-McGee with 92 ypg and 1 TD (a 10.2 yards per catch average), Samuel Akem with 69 ypg and 1 TD (12.5 ypc average), and Samori Toure who's caught for 39 yards per game and 1 TD with a 8.7 ypc average. Defensively, they're led by LB Dante Olson, who has 29 tackles with 3 sacks, 1 INT, and a forced fumble and has been named the Big Sky Defensive Player of the Week for two consecutive weeks. CB Dareon Nash had an impressive outing in their game against Drake, with 3 tackles and 2 INTs returned for a total of 40 yards in that game. Safety Reid Miller also has 15 tackles and 1 INT so far this season.

Series History: WIU has played Montana three times in the two team's histories. Western lost at Montana 7-0 in 1964 in a regular season matchup, won here in Macomb 52-9 in the 1998 playoffs, and then won 43-40 in 2OT at Montana in the 2003 playoffs.

Predictions:
Massey - 34-28 WIU win
CompughterRatings.com - 33-29 WIU win
Sagarin - 2 point Montana win
5dimes.eu - WIU -6.5

Rankings:
Sagarin (out of all DI teams): MT 122, WIU 143
Massey Composite: MT 9, WIU 23

My Take
So, I thought we did some very good things last weekend at Illinois, but we also made a few too many mistakes and a few of our players got pretty beaten up. Our WR corps has been somewhat up and down, hauling in some good passes at times, but also having some issues getting on the same page as McGuire with routes. I think we'll probably be relying on our RBs quite a bit for a while. On the good side, I think our young O-line did a pretty good job of giving McGuire time to find a receiver. Montana has a few areas where they are fairly inexperienced that we might be able to exploit. Like us, they have a fairly young O-Line (starting lineup against Drake was 2 Juniors, 2 Sophomores and a Redshirt Freshman), and they also have a young defensive secondary. If we can get things cleaned up in terms of the offensive routes for our receivers, I think we stand a good chance of winning our home opener. Montana is a very good team, however, so I don't think it'll be easy...in their win over UNI, Montana was up 26-0 at halftime before UNI figured a few things out and crawled back into the game, but by then it was too little too late for the Panthers. We'll need to come up firing on all cylinders and get a couple of scores early. My prediction is WIU by a FG.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
alabamagrizzly

As for the secondary, they’re young but they’re good, especially the corners. Use your TE’s and you might be able to make something happen though. As for the O line, we may be even thinner this week then last possibly starting a true Fr. You should be able to negate our run O, except for the QB. Putting pressure on the QB may be easier too but that’s where he can hurt you with his elusiveness and toughness.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and predict a 30-27 Griz victory just because I told my wife I was afraid we’d lose and she said not to speak negativity on the Griz. :D
Western_101

Leathernecks 0-2 kinda looking good at times but kinda inept at times.

I doubt WIU will be able to get more than 5,000 spectators for this coming weeks contest.
wiu712

RedNeck wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:23 pmI doubt WIU will be able to get more than 5,000 spectators for this coming weeks contest.
This will be the Family Weekend game. There were 3,217 at last year's Family Weekend game. So 5,000 would be a big increase over last year.

In addition to the above-referenced radio stations, the game will also be on WIUS, 88.3 FM.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:02 pm
RedNeck wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:23 pmI doubt WIU will be able to get more than 5,000 spectators for this coming weeks contest.
This will be the Family Weekend game. There were 3,217 at last year's Family Weekend game. So 5,000 would be a big increase over last year.

In addition to the above-referenced radio stations, the game will also be on WIUS, 88.3 FM.
Or...maybe just a more accurate count of spectators.
Also, remember...there will be beer. So that might make a difference too.
alabamagrizzly

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:12 pm
wiu712 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:02 pm

Or...maybe just a more accurate count of spectators.
Also, remember...there will be beer. So that might make a difference too.
Montana usually travels pretty well so hopefully this game won’t be any different. At Tenn in ‘11 we had about 3k-5k and at App St in ‘13 and Liberty in ‘15 it was 2k-3k.
wiu712

Western banged up after Illinois game; Montana next.

From today's McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... ntana-next
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Western_101

10 of Western's last 14 games have been on the road.

Am I the only one that thinks that's F**ked up? What is the average advantage a home team is given all things being equal with the opponent, I think the standard is 3 points. Well we lost to back to back BIg Sky teams at THEIR place by an average of 2.5 points.

If Western comes out pissed off and wants to prove that they are not the losers that their record indicates Western will come out on top.

I don't know about this team though Elliot ain't no Fischer. But, hey everyone's got to get their start somewhere. I feel if WIU comes up short this Saturday Elliot might not be able to get the team to "buy in" for the remainder of the schedule. It does happen. :?

Unless the weather is gorgeous I really don't expect a big crowd. Which is too bad because Montana is a team I've wanted to see in Macomb for a long time.
wiu712

A quick look at Western Illinois vs. Montana.

From today's McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... vs-montana