Bad News

WIU0812

Nikko Watson and Daniel McDaniel were both arrested this weekend.

http://www.westerncourier.com/sports/fo ... b2370.html
Neckfansince71

This is the part of being a head coach that I always hated. Players have to be responsible for their actions! I don't think you give them a "lifetime" ban, but I can see some type of suspension at the beginning of the season. ;)
WIU0812

I am guessing they will both be suspended for at least 3 games. They may even want to consider removing Watsons captain status.
meganeck

that's what I was going to say, looks bad because Nikko was voted a captain and I'm sure he will lose that title and I would say at least 3 games depending on what is all found out about this by the University.
WIU0812

I figured Nikko Watson would be only the short yardage guy this year anyway so even though this is not good it gives the young guys shot.
huskie

Isn't Watson suppose to be a Captain this year?
letsgonecks

It'll be interesting to see how Coach Nielson handles disciplining players. Seems like a no nonsense type of guy, but we'll have some time to see how this all unfolds.

We'll have to wait and see what either player is actually charged with and then what sticks. This should all be hashed out before fall ball starts I hope and maybe things aren't as bad the arrests show (fingers crossed especially in Nikko's case).

Assuming this is the first issue either player has had and assuming they've been good teammates and leaders, we might only be looking at a game or two. But again, that depends on what they're convicted with and how Coach Nielson wants to punish them.

Stupid stuff either way for 2 senior leaders, but mistakes happen and hopefully they become better people because of it.

In whatever time Watson misses, hopefully Devon Moore is finally healthy and ready to fill the void as our big back.

Luckily, we have some depth at safety with Dallas Nichols and others to setup, but this one hurts as David is much better in the passing game than Nichols and Rollins.
sealhall74

This Courier reporter is a true amateur. First, there is no "maybe" about it. The team definitely took a big hit as incidents like this tarnish the reputation of any program, whether on solid ground or not. Second, he provides no mention of reaching out to AD staff or coaches for further comment. He more than likely would be met with the usual "the incidents are still under review" or "we have no comment at this time" but it still is the prudent thing to do, even for a student reporter.
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

Apparently I am the lone one who feels that, depending on what the investigation shows (but it doesn't sound a bit good), release from the team might be the appropriate action.

Sorry, these guys are old enough to know to keep their noses clean. It's not going to get any easier, and if they can't handle themselves now there's nothing to say they'll be able to have a more appropriate response the next time.

I'd rather see the team have the hopefully minor setback of losing the players but maintaining the program's integrity, than to keep the players and have the program and discipline become a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" joke.

But that's just me.
BamBamfootball

I like to discuss the issue of the Captain. I feel that Nikko should remain Captain. Everyone is entitled to one mistake, no one is perfect. Besides they made a Junior Captain with the team voted with 17 seniors really!!!!!. I would like to count those votes. For the life of me, I can't understand what is all the hype about J.J. Raffelson. I watched a film on him and a turtle can move faster than him at Linebacker. If he is such an above average Linebacker, why do we have 2 players in the secondary in the top 3 in tackles, Johnathan Rollins#1, David McDaniels#3. In my honest opinion I feel that Jonathan Rollins should have been appointed captain because he is one of the best tacklers on the team. I really think if we don't get better linebackers we will be heading towards another losing season.