Bad News

WIU0812

It all depends on what they get charged with. Nikko had some pretty serious offenses listed against him (Not sayings that McDaniels getting a DUI was not serious), but a good lawyer may change all of that and depending upon the final outcome will depend on the resulting punishment from team. I think stripping him of being a captain should be less of a worry than the amount of game he may get to play in his senior year. You see players get removed all the time for breaking laws, such as the Missouri removing one of their top Wide Receivers, Dorial Green-Beckham, due to him stealing. In the paper it read "Watson was arrested for unlawful restraint, domestic battery and two counts of battery." This sounds to me like there was a fight at a private residence or something along these lines so its hard to know what may happen especially with this being the first known case that Coach Nielson has had to deal with.
sealhall74

If Nikko was "covering the back" of someone, I could see him keeping his captain position. If not, he should probably give it up voluntarily for now until the case is resolved and then if it comes out favorably for him, the HC can make the final call for the upcoming season.
Embrace the pace of the race.
letsgonecks

I know this is off topic, but in response to BamBam's comments on JJ. I agree with you that JJ lacks speed, but he is run stopper and one of the best in the conference in stopping the run. He has a nose for the ball and makes tackles. Would like to see the video you watched on him and show me where he missed plays because of his speed. Similar to Eddy Hartwell who wasn't fast, but a big backer who stuffed the run. Not saying he's at that level, but still comparable.

Both safeties are solid and am a big fan of both, but JJ had fewer tackles because he missed games. If anything, question his ability to stay healthy. On the comment of Captain, you get that because of play, but mainly because of leadership on and off the field, so unless you're a player on the team, I don't see how you can question that!!!!

In my opinion, we likely have the best linebacking crew in the conference and they'll be a huge part of this years success.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I don't think a captain necessarily has to be one of the best players on the team. I always felt that the captains should be the "leaders" of the team. The ones who motivate the other players, help keep them in line, and provide a good example. I seem to remember a few years ago when we had a QB who was a captain, but he wasn't even the starting QB. I believe that was Wil Lunt who got voted the captain designation as a senior, but I think Josh Hudson was the starter, at least for a while...my memory is a little hazy re: our QB situation at that point.

Quite often it's a "big name" starter, probably because quite often the best leaders and "example-setters" are putting in the most work to get better and end up being the better players on the team, but I don't think that's always the case.

My opinion in this situation is that it depends on how the legal stuff works out. If it turns out that the guys were innocent or didn't do anything wrong, then there shouldn't be any major penalty (although it'd be smart for them not to put themselves in situations where stuff like this can happen....so, a warning). If they did do something wrong, it also depends on the level. If they're guilty, I'd say at minimum, they should sit out the first 3-4 games...make them sit at home instead if getting to go and play at Wisconsin and Northwestern and remove Nikko's captain status. If what they did was particularly bad, then they're off the team. I'd rather take the temporary hit of losing those two players than start a culture of letting players' bad behaviors slide. I think we had an issue with that with our basketball team before Molinari showed up, and it wasn't a particularly good situation.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

I agree any charges short of those extremely minor ones such as small traffic violations and items like this should see some sort of punishment in order to curb this before it becomes a common theme. I hate to say that about two starters, but it can not change based on where you sit in the roster.
BamBamfootball

I'm sorry to get off the topic but I must address the comment by Letsgonecks, I was not asking for your opioion concerning J.J. but since you gave it I was simply stating you have 17 seniors on the team that have been in school since Freshman year and you cannot find not one senior to represent as captain that you would have to put a junior to represent a senior class. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out something was wrong with that. And to game that I was talking about concerning me watching tape, that would be UNLV game. J.J. missed a lot of reads and tackles. I couldn't understand why Western took all starter out in the 3rd quarter and left J.J. in when UNLV had put their 2nd and 3rd string in. Then everyone want to broadcast that he is the best linebacker in the conference after having one good year does not make you the best linebacker in the conference. Consistency show leadership and dedication. Also comparing J.J. to Eddy Hartwell, no comparison whatsoever.
BobLovely

I suspect the university and the football program will let the legal system "play out" before they make decisions on player status. This is SOP in this situation. If the player charged is later acquitted, the charges dropped or the charges reduced via plea agreement, this will likely affect decisions on specific disciplinary action taken.

Bob
huskie

Looks like BamBamFootball has a personal ax to grind against J.J. Unless your a player, or a coach how could you possibly judge that kids leadership skills with his team mates? Also from watching Nielson's interviews online he is always stating the LB group is the strength of the defense.
letsgonecks

Firstly, I'm glad we're having a passionate and opinionated discussion of WIU football. Let all do this for the next few months until kickoff.

Secondly, I do have to admit I was bested by Bam after calling out the game film he was watching. I recall watching UNLV's highlights and it wasn't JJ's best game. If we base his abilities soley on that game, than yes he's not an elite LB in the league. Not a fair evaluation though, as the whole unit was extremely underwhelming that night. Worst defensive game of the year against what turned out to be a pretty decent team. If you look at what he's done over the 1 1/2 year's worth of games, he's been a tackling machine and done very well against the run. He still has two years left and we won't know until then his legacy. Again, a bit early, but from his body of work thus far, I put him below Hartwell and just above Jerome Bennett (2 year captain and 2 time all league performer) when comparing him to our bigger LB's.

Finally, this will be his fourth year in the program, so he's been here putting in work. Is there an issue with JC being a captain after one season? I hope after the season, JJ proves me right.....no just so I can say I was right, but because that could be the difference between winning and losing.

Can't wait for the season!!!!!
BamBamfootball

letsgonecks "great explanation". As to Huskie comment: this is a discussion board and I don't have a personal vendetta against J.J. I was just simply stating a fact. I think that he is an below average linebacker and I will stick to my statement and I will not address this issue again. The statement that coach Neilson made concerning the strength of the defense we can agree to disagree. My opinion is that the secondary is the strength of the defense we have a defensive back that made all Missouri Valley all conference second team Martinez Davis #5 and the leading tackler Jonathan Rollins #4 and 3rd leading tackler David McDaniel's #22 also Dallas Nichols #25 is one of the hardest hitters on the team. The secondary is ranked in the top ten in the nation in pass defense. I would tell you the stats for the linebackers but I will leave that up to letsgonecks to provide that information.`