Bad News

sealhall74

How one could ever judge the worth of a defensive back by the number of tackles is beyond me. If a DB is getting lots of tackles, you have serious problems from front to rear. LOL
Embrace the pace of the race.
wonderdog

This is great football forum discussion!! I agree lets keep this up till season starts. Commenting on BamBam issue with JJ I have to agree I really don't see all the hype about his play he had one good season of a 100+ tackles as I can recall Rollins had 87 so when you look at that in terms of performance you had 1 LB 1 S making most of the tackles I think he's and average linebacker that plays good collage football anything beyond that I don't think so! However he is a great kid who dose show some fire leadership when he is healthy.

Also I think coach Nielson would like the strength of our defense to be LB Now that Kintzel coming off a great year and hopefully we get JJ for a full season However when you compare stats Nationally our defense Rank: Rush defense (52) Pass defense (3) and Total defense (7) Our Secondary in my opinion is our strength with Martinez, Rollins, McDaniel, Nicholls' That's a Pretty good group !!!

I do feel that Seniors should be Captains of there class because they are the ones who has been playing the past 3 years and there last year means more than the underclassmen and they are ready to demonstrate that on the field.

As far as Watson and McDaniel I don't think it was all that serious to me, you just had a student writer who got carry away with writing a story because if it was really seriously it would have been posted to NCAA I think internal discipline from the coaches is all that is needed in other words (private reproof)
rocki

Wonderdog, do you have information about exactly what went down? It sure doesn't sound like minor stuff to me.
WIU0812

Supposedly McDaniels got a DUI which will be a pretty serious offense. They were also reported to be separate events
Last edited by WIU0812 on Thu May 08, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BamBamfootball

Sealhall74 that is exactly what I am saying. How can the strength be in the linebackers with the Safetys and DB's making most of the tackles. Thanks for proving my point.
To Wonderdog thanks for the validation. If I was playing football and was a senior I would be devastated to have a junior over my senior class. Also thanks for providing stats. Lots of people in this discussion board don't like when you provide stats, they just love to run their mouth and not back it up with nothing. Also Luke Venegoni will be a force to be reckoned with. He has not had the opportunity to be on the field. I think that he is the fastest linebacker out of the linebacker core. Also I want to send a congratulations to Jimmy Holtschlag and Ethan Bachinski on winning the National Football Foundation Hampshire Honor Society award. Well deserve!!!!!!!
letsgonecks

I think we have a solid defensive backfield coming back and should be pretty good. With that being said, I don't think being the #3 pass defense means as much when you trailed 8 of the 12 fourth quarters. Most teams were running the ball against us in the second half, which limited the passing yards and increased the rushing, thus making pass defense #3 and rush defense #52.

Predict we'll finish this year above .500, so think these numbers will get a little closer to eachother and should be a good year to compare.

Think there is talent at every level on this defense, so should be a fun year to watch. Think Ricketts and Harley should be like wrecking balls up the middle, stuffing wholes and making plays.
wonderdog

i agree letsgonecks it should be a great year to watch some senior who been in the system ! what do you think about the QB play and starter ?
BamBamfootball

Wonderdog how can you agree with letsgoneck. Teams was afraid to attack our secondary. If you look at most of the film, teams attack us down the middle on the seam routes because the linebackers don't collision the receivers to slow them down. For the life of me I don't understand why this discussion board don't give the secondary more credit than they do. You have a Missouri Valley All Conference Second Team cornerback which is a big accomplishment and the safety is the leading tackler with honorable mention. I don't see any linebackers with 1st or 2nd team all conference. So Wonderdog before you agree with anyone, please give credit where credit is do.

My opinion on the quarterback if he can get in the film room and stay away from throwing interceptions we should be ok but I think Coach Nielson would give him one more chance to prove himself.
letsgonecks

Qb play should be even better this year. Everyone should be stronger, more confident and with improved timing/chemistry. Minus the horrible start to the SDSU game, thought Norvell played pretty well for a Freshman qb with mostly newcomers as pass catchers. Remember he added at least 3 picks on final drives in lossing games, so numbers could have been even better.

BamBam.....is that you Rollins?????? By the way, Kintzel whom is a LB led the team in tackling (tied with LB Butler) and not a safety. Plus, he was second on the team in PD and tied with picks. Thought he did a wonderful job and was the MVP of the defense. And AGAIN, think we have a great seconday and don't see where anyone is not giving them credit. I'm no expert and it's only my opinoin, but both units played well last year, but need to and should improve.

No unit played a perfect game....on plays the DL lacked pressure, LB's got lost in coverage and blew tackles and assignments and the same goes for DB's. The unit has to play solid as a whole and they'll win. They'll also make eachother look better and we could have all sorts of All Conference performers.
huskie

It all starts with the BIG GUYS up front, if there not doing their job everything gets out of whack.