WIU Bye Week (2018)

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

So, we're 1-2...not quite what I'd hoped, but we knew it was going to be a tough non-conference schedule. Mistakes have been made, but the team has also shown that they aren't going to just roll over and quit if they're down...say, by 10 points with less than 6 minutes left in the game ;)

Some good things we're doing:
Receiving game - nobody is looking like the next Acklin at this point, although Brunner had a really good game last weekend. Overall, there's a lot of targets, between Brunner, McShane, Tate, Wahee, Ratkovich, Lesure, Gaston, etc. and it feels like McGuire is starting to get things straightened out with some of them...making sure they're on the same page for routes, knowing where to throw it, etc.
Defense - came up with some really big stops and big plays last weekend and have really helped keep the team in games while the offense has been trying to figure things out.

It's not going to be an easy run, but if we can go 6-2 in the conference, then we should make the playoffs.
We should be able to beat Youngstown State, Missouri State, Southern Illinois, and Indiana State (Massey says 66% or higher chance of winning)
Northern Iowa, South Dakota, and Illinois State are the games that are winnable, but are going to be tough. I'd say all three are about 50/50 in terms of who might win at this point (Massey ratings: 54%, 41%, 48% chances of victory)
North Dakota State is going to be REALLY hard to take down, but then again, they haven't always played well in Macomb (18% chance of a win).
If we can win the ones we "should" win, take 2/3 of the ones we "can" win, and drop the game against NDSU, then we should see ourselves in the postseason. Problem is, half of the conference is as good as Montana or Montana State. Either game could have easily gone either way, and a lot of the MVFC games could do the same. We get a bit of luck and start playing a bit better on offense, then things will be looking pretty good. However, if the offense continues to struggle and a few things don't go our way, then we'll be on the outside looking in for the playoff bracket.

Thoughts from you guys on where we're at now.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
letsgonecks

The line seems to do a better job in the passing game and looks like the coaches have figured that out. Keep working in the jet sweeps since they're the only run plays that have generated yardage, but nothing that requires the OL to move the DL back. Spread it out and with decent protection, we can move the ball down field. Few extra seconds of protection and Sean can pick apart any defense and with reliable backs he can check down with any pressure. Only other run plays I'd work in would be QB keepers here and there and the occasional draw when you're noticing the LB's cheating back.

Start Brunner, Tate and Lesure. Rotate in a healthy Wahee with a mix of Ratkovich and McShane as the 4th in the slot. Maybe we'll see more from Lesure if he's cleared for next week. If they do decide to air it out, he could finally step-up as he does have some big play ability with speed, length, and hops. Can't say the same for Gaston as he hasn't shown much sign of life.

The D has played pretty decent and have been put into a few tight spots that have lead to points. Relieved that Saunders finally looked like the stud he's supposed to be last week and same with the other guys up front. We were lacking in the TFL, but came up big last week with 8, so heading in the right direction. Number 44/95 LaCale London has looked pretty decent in his limited role.

Love that the pass D has only given up 448 yards, but that could be related to the run first opponents we've faced with Snead being a bit of an exception, who still likes to tuck and run. What I'm concerned about is the lack of pass breakups. Yeah, we've only had 87 passes attempted against us, but only 4 (3 by Fitz) have been broken up and 3 picked. Muniz made a nice catch on his pick and glad Carrera was where he needed to be on both of his last week, but none were made by someone making a play on the ball. Could be a trade off for not giving up big plays which is great, but expecting a bit more going forward. Continue to get pressure and maybe we can play a bit tighter and take a few more chances.

Hoped we'd be 2-1. Glad we're 1-2 and not 0-3. Felt we should have beat MSU, but they're a good team and hope they can make the playoffs. Thought we should have played IL closer, but maybe they're better than expected and should be 3-0 right now. With the B10 struggling, they might lock up a few more W's. Montana should be a playoff team and they just didn't make some key plays like we lacked in both our L's.
rocki

Hoped we'd be 2-1. Glad we're 1-2 and not 0-3. Felt we should have beat MSU, but they're a good team and hope they can make the playoffs. Thought we should have played IL closer, but maybe they're better than expected and should be 3-0 right now.

Granted, it wasn't the only thing that we didn't step up to, but I wondered how much of the IL game came down to the backup QB. We seemed to be holding our own against their starter, but when he went out the replacement seemed to pick us apart. He actually sounded (from the announcer's calls) better than the QB they started with. Maybe he was just really "on" that night, or maybe they need to be rethinking their starters. Who knows?
GV Dad

I'd like to see our Offense be more explosive. A lot of that comes down to confidence in play calling. McShane and Tate are both electric. I wonder what Montana was showing that led us not to run any Jets?

The D LIne looks pretty slow, not much pass rush. That needs to change. I like the way to ILBs are playing so far, so I think that question may be answered.

I hope the loss in Bozeman doesn't cost us a playoff spot. We should have walked through that game to a win. We are easily 2 TDs better. MVFC is going to be tough as always. 7-4 is a good possibility though. The team has a ton of fight.
Tmelker

After watching this team for the first three games, it is clear to me this team has heart. This heart is driving them to work hard at getting better. I think the defense is pretty solid, there is solid speed which has allowed them to keep the plays in front of them, very few times have they been beat downfield even with the athletes at Illinois. The heart they have provides the effort throughout the game. The offensive line which is young and everyone was concerned about prior to the season starting has done well to allow the quarterback the opportunity to make plays. Run blocking is a communication issue which will get better, they need to come off the ball quicker, engage lower and get to the next level on those linebackers to make some room to get some yardage. When this happens the passing game will open up and the deep threats will develop. As for playoffs, uncertain at this point. This conference is loaded with good solid teams with many teams who will be playoff caliber being kept out due to the competitiveness of the games each and every week. While it may be optimistic they going to be 6-2, if this happens it will require cleaning up turnovers and special teams issues,and winning a lot of close ones. The players and talent are there and they just have to "do their job" and this team could accomplish what no projections have given them the chance. It is clearly obtainable if they gel into a team and get after it all game long. if not, they could easily be 2-6 in conference play. It is that razor thin in this conference behind NDSU. The starts in the first three games have been incredible and the the effort has been there at the end of games. They need to clean up quarters 2 and 3, which for most is the adjustments needed to what teams are presenting and exploiting the match ups being given. At the end of the day, it will come down to these match ups which decides the remaining games. We have the talent, we have the heart, we have the desire, we have the experience in the right places. This team is fun to watch. The leaders are outstanding in their desire to see the team do well. I am going to continue to be positive about this team because I love its players and leaders. They will need to stay poised and win the close ones.
sealhall74

Every game will be a test. There are no cupcakes on the schedule. Even ISUb and MSU are dangerous, both having a game-changing playmaker like Acklin in RBs Keys and Randall, respectively. One guy can carry on offense on any given day like we saw last year in Acklin. I think the play-calling was pretty conservative in the first 3 games. Looking for a bit more of the playbook for rest of season. Defense looks pretty solid. To get to the top of the MVFC, you need to do the two things that NDSU does very well: 1) run the ball consistently and 2) stop the run on defense.
Embrace the pace of the race.
tjk1985

Have a happy bye week!! Instead of doing nothing and resting like I should be, I'm flying to Chicago to see a concert at City Winery Chicago, then hustling back to KC so I can actually watch a lot of games on a free Saturday!.
sealhall74

I hope the coaches are working overtime during this week coming up with some good stuff for the rest of the season. That "Delta Formation" with 3 backs in a triangular arrangement around McGuire in the pistol was pretty unique. Instead of the "Delta", I think I would rather call it the "Wilson" formation as a tribute to the "Wilson Wilson" character on the Home Improvement TV comedy from the 90s. You could always count on one scene in each episode where Wilson's face was half obscured by a fence or something. It was pure genius. We too need that one special formation fans can identify with during the game. You dont use it often but it has the defense scratching their heads wondering what's coming. The 3 backs can provide a lot of variations as to where the ball is going. If Khalen Saunders is one of the running backs, things could get really interesting. ;)
Embrace the pace of the race.
Western_101

Tmelker wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:10 am After watching this team for the first three games, it is clear to me this team has heart. This heart is driving them to work hard at getting better. I think the defense is pretty solid, there is solid speed which has allowed them to keep the plays in front of them, very few times have they been beat downfield even with the athletes at Illinois. The heart they have provides the effort throughout the game. The offensive line which is young and everyone was concerned about prior to the season starting has done well to allow the quarterback the opportunity to make plays. Run blocking is a communication issue which will get better, they need to come off the ball quicker, engage lower and get to the next level on those linebackers to make some room to get some yardage. When this happens the passing game will open up and the deep threats will develop. As for playoffs, uncertain at this point. This conference is loaded with good solid teams with many teams who will be playoff caliber being kept out due to the competitiveness of the games each and every week. While it may be optimistic they going to be 6-2, if this happens it will require cleaning up turnovers and special teams issues,and winning a lot of close ones. The players and talent are there and they just have to "do their job" and this team could accomplish what no projections have given them the chance. It is clearly obtainable if they gel into a team and get after it all game long. if not, they could easily be 2-6 in conference play. It is that razor thin in this conference behind NDSU. The starts in the first three games have been incredible and the the effort has been there at the end of games. They need to clean up quarters 2 and 3, which for most is the adjustments needed to what teams are presenting and exploiting the match ups being given. At the end of the day, it will come down to these match ups which decides the remaining games. We have the talent, we have the heart, we have the desire, we have the experience in the right places. This team is fun to watch. The leaders are outstanding in their desire to see the team do well. I am going to continue to be positive about this team because I love its players and leaders. They will need to stay poised and win the close ones.
Double spacing, and adding paragraphs helps people not stop reading your post.

Single line typing a term paper, I always pass over those posts.
TraditionofTough

Nice to have a week off after a good win versus a very tough opponent. This team plays with a lot of heart, which I contribute primarily to the coaching staff. Seems like chemistry is building every week, and hopefully we can carry this momentum forward. I expect a tough battle for the Leathernecks vs a Youngstown state team that is hungry for redemption after losing a tough one to Butler. Coach Elliott will have this team ready to fire on all cylinders though! Saturday can’t come soon enough!