WIU Bye Week (2018)

GV Dad

TraditionofTough wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:59 am Nice to have a week off after a good win versus a very tough opponent. This team plays with a lot of heart, which I contribute primarily to the coaching staff. Seems like chemistry is building every week, and hopefully we can carry this momentum forward. I expect a tough battle for the Leathernecks vs a Youngstown state team that is hungry for redemption after losing a tough one to Butler. Coach Elliott will have this team ready to fire on all cylinders though! Saturday can’t come soon enough!
Welcome to the board Traditionoftough!!
TraditionofTough

GV Dad wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:28 pm
TraditionofTough wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:59 am Nice to have a week off after a good win versus a very tough opponent. This team plays with a lot of heart, which I contribute primarily to the coaching staff. Seems like chemistry is building every week, and hopefully we can carry this momentum forward. I expect a tough battle for the Leathernecks vs a Youngstown state team that is hungry for redemption after losing a tough one to Butler. Coach Elliott will have this team ready to fire on all cylinders though! Saturday can’t come soon enough!
Welcome to the board Traditionoftough!!
Thank you! Been monitoring for a while, but excited to jump in on the good discussion!
Tmelker

RedNeck wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:48 pm
Tmelker wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:10 am After watching this team for the first three games, it is clear to me this team has heart. This heart is driving them to work hard at getting better. I think the defense is pretty solid, there is solid speed which has allowed them to keep the plays in front of them, very few times have they been beat downfield even with the athletes at Illinois. The heart they have provides the effort throughout the game. The offensive line which is young and everyone was concerned about prior to the season starting has done well to allow the quarterback the opportunity to make plays. Run blocking is a communication issue which will get better, they need to come off the ball quicker, engage lower and get to the next level on those linebackers to make some room to get some yardage. When this happens the passing game will open up and the deep threats will develop. As for playoffs, uncertain at this point. This conference is loaded with good solid teams with many teams who will be playoff caliber being kept out due to the competitiveness of the games each and every week. While it may be optimistic they going to be 6-2, if this happens it will require cleaning up turnovers and special teams issues,and winning a lot of close ones. The players and talent are there and they just have to "do their job" and this team could accomplish what no projections have given them the chance. It is clearly obtainable if they gel into a team and get after it all game long. if not, they could easily be 2-6 in conference play. It is that razor thin in this conference behind NDSU. The starts in the first three games have been incredible and the the effort has been there at the end of games. They need to clean up quarters 2 and 3, which for most is the adjustments needed to what teams are presenting and exploiting the match ups being given. At the end of the day, it will come down to these match ups which decides the remaining games. We have the talent, we have the heart, we have the desire, we have the experience in the right places. This team is fun to watch. The leaders are outstanding in their desire to see the team do well. I am going to continue to be positive about this team because I love its players and leaders. They will need to stay poised and win the close ones.
Double spacing, and adding paragraphs helps people not stop reading your post.

Single line typing a term paper, I always pass over those posts.
Thanks for the well taken recommendations. New to boards like this one. It is appreciated