WIU vs Youngstown State (9/29/2018)...Homecoming

wiu712

Western wins in a shoot-out 45-38. This game was a series of scoring runs by both teams.

Attendance at Hanson Field = 4,532.

The Homecoming Gods must have been smiling on us today. The day stayed dry until the game was over. It started sprinkling as we went back to our car. And that turned into a steady rain. It was in the mid 50's for the parade and did not get much warmer. At least it stayed dry until the game ended.
wiu712

Western gets first MVFC win, tops Youngstown State.

From the McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... town-state

The Youngstown QB is Montgomery VanGorder. His father (Brian VanGorder) was an asst coach at Western for one year in 2000. Brian VanGorder is now the Defensive Coordinator at Louisville. Montgomery VanGorder was at Notre Dame 2014-2017.
Western_101

wiu712 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:22 pm Western wins in a shoot-out 45-38. This game was a series of scoring runs by both teams.

The Homecoming Gods must have been smiling on us today. The day stayed dry until the game was over. It started sprinkling as we went back to our car. And that turned into a steady rain. It was in the mid 50's for the parade and did not get much warmer. At least it stayed dry until the game ended.
I honestly feel like there was more than 4,500 spectators there. However, I give credit, if whomever within the University says that that is what it is. Then so be it.

I'm just saying that attendance was poor. More like 6K. :?
Western_101

ya know I'm gettin the sense y'all aint liking the cut of my jib or my taste in opinion.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:21 pm
wiu712 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:22 pm Western wins in a shoot-out 45-38. This game was a series of scoring runs by both teams.

I honestly feel like there was more than 4,500 spectators there. However, I give credit, if whomever within the University says that that is what it is. Then so be it.

I'm just saying that attendance was poor. More like 6K. :?
Yeah, I'm sure there were more than that. I took some photos of the west side about halfway through the first quarter. I'll get them uploaded and posted in case anyone wants to do a count. I didn't have a good view of the east side though, so idk about how many people were on that side. I think you're probably right that maybe around 6k sounds closer to the correct number.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

I did not notice the ticket-takers using a clicker-counter on the students entering on their student ID. Perhaps the students are not being included in that attendance number.
meganeck

wiu712 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:07 pm Western gets first MVFC win, tops Youngstown State.

From the McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... town-state

The Youngstown QB is Montgomery VanGorder. His father (Brian VanGorder) was an asst coach at Western for one year in 2000. Brian VanGorder is now the Defensive Coordinator at Louisville. Montgomery VanGorder was at Notre Dame 2014-2017.
Oh wow, I didn't realize that, thanks for mentioning that.

The one quote from Pelini in the story sure sounds like he is throwing his players under the bus. On the telecast whenever they showed he had a scowl on his face and he was usually yelling at one of his players an asst coach or an official. He must be a miserable human being.
wiu712

Western Illinois puts Penguins on ice.

From today's Burlington Hawk-Eye:
http://www.thehawkeye.com/sports/201809 ... ins-on-ice

This article describes the touchdown pass to Defensive Lineman Khalen Saunders.
sealhall74

I missed the game audio and video broadcast. The best I could do was nag my brother-in-law for the score from his cell phone every 10 minutes while we were watching the Colgate @ Bill & Mary game where my niece is going to school. Colgate looked pretty good in a 23-0 shutout. Question. Do we have the opportunity to watch a WIU replay anywhere, ESPN?, Leatherneck All-Access? IIRC, we used to offer replays on Leatherneck All-Access in the past.

Looking at the boxscore only, I think we might have a hole or two in our pass defense. Also, our running game still looks suspect. I always throw out the high and low extreme yardage plays in making this kind of assertion like any good statistician would do. Its consistency over the long haul that matters most.

Glad to be home. It was the W&M Family Weekend and never done so much walking in my life. Campus is vast, you really need a bike to get around it. They had all kinds of stuff going on. You could sit in on your kids classes. The faculty gave special lectures on a variety of subjects on Saturday morning for anyone who wanted to sit in on them. Music and food all over the place. Got to see the oldest still-functioning college campus building in the country (Wren Building) and an organ concert inside the Chapel of it. The Wren Building was built circa 1700 and everything inside the bricks ot it has been destroyed by fire 3 times. They rebuilt it every time and today it is solid as a rock. Hey, they only got about 6K undergrad students too and are doing a great job with them. Also, the four of us never got "clicked in" at the football game but no worries from anyone. Be happy with what you have and make the most of it!

https://www.wm.edu/about/history/histor ... /index.php

P.S. I am now a twitter follower of @Lordbot, whose statue is just outside of the Wren Building. I know Rock has to be feeling "patina with envy" about now. Assuming we dont have one, we really do need a Rock Hanson Statue twitter account for motivational sayings on gamedays, etc.

https://twitter.com/lordbot?lang=en
Embrace the pace of the race.
letsgonecks

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:03 pm I missed the game audio and video broadcast. The best I could do was nag my brother-in-law for the score from his cell phone every 10 minutes while we were watching the Colgate @ Bill & Mary game where my niece is going to school. Colgate looked pretty good in a 23-0 shutout. Question. Do we have the opportunity to watch a WIU replay anywhere, ESPN?, Leatherneck All-Access? IIRC, we used to offer replays on Leatherneck All-Access in the past.

Looking at the boxscore only, I think we might have a hole or two in our pass defense. Also, our running game still looks suspect. I always throw out the high and low extreme yardage plays in making this kind of assertion like any good statistician would do. Its consistency over the long haul that matters most.

Glad to be home. It was the W&M Family Weekend and never done so much walking in my life. Campus is vast, you really need a bike to get around it. They had all kinds of stuff going on. You could sit in on your kids classes. The faculty gave special lectures on a variety of subjects on Saturday morning for anyone who wanted to sit in on them. Music and food all over the place. Got to see the oldest still-functioning college campus building in the country (Wren Building) and an organ concert inside the Chapel of it. The Wren Building was built circa 1700 and everything inside the bricks ot it has been destroyed by fire 3 times. They rebuilt it every time and today it is solid as a rock. Hey, they only got about 6K undergrad students too and are doing a great job with them. Also, the four of us never got "clicked in" at the football game but no worries from anyone. Be happy with what you have and make the most of it!

https://www.wm.edu/about/history/histor ... /index.php

P.S. I am now a twitter follower of @Lordbot, whose statue is just outside of the Wren Building. I know Rock has to be feeling "patina with envy" about now. Assuming we dont have one, we really do need a Rock Hanson Statue twitter account for motivational sayings on gamedays, etc.

https://twitter.com/lordbot?lang=en
If you have the watchespn app, you can watch it.