Image VS Image

Game Time: 3:00 PM on Saturday, September 29th
Weather:
ImageImage

Events: Homecoming

Game Notes: not posted yet

TV/Radio:
TV/Streaming: ESPN3
Radio: WRMS 94.3 (Beardstown), WJEQ 102.7 (Macomb)
Streaming Audio - wrmsfm.com, WRMS on Tunein.com

About the Penguins
Youngstown State is 1-2 on the season so far. In their opener, they fell to non-scholarship Butler 23-21 on a last-second FG. They followed that up with a 52-17 loss at West Virginia. Two weeks ago, they found their first victory, taking down Valparaiso 42-7 (Valpo who lost the next weekend to DII Truman State), and then had a bye week last weekend. Their primary offensive threat is RB Tevin McCaster, who has been averaging 126.3 yards per game and has 3 rushing TDs. QB Montgomery VanGorder has thrown for 593 yards (197.7 per game) and 7 TDs with 1 INT through the first three games. LB Armand Dellovade leads the team in tackles with 23 (17 solo) including 1.5 for loss. He also has 1 interception so far this season. DE Shereif Bynum is the biggest threat to getting pressure on the QB, with 5.5 tackles for loss including 2 sacks and 2 QB hurries.

Series History: WIU has played Youngstown State 31 times going back to 1969 with YSU leading the series 19-12. Our last meeting with the Penguins was a 23-21 loss in Macomb in 2015.

Predictions:
Massey - 28-21 WIU win
CompughterRatings.com - 27-23 WIU win
Sagarin - 2 point WIU win

Rankings:
Sagarin (out of all DI teams): WIU 136, YSU 133
Massey Composite: WIU 11, YSU 33

My Take
YSU is a team that has been struggling lately with both on-the-field and off-the-field issues. Offensively, they have one really good player, Tevin McCaster, but they don't have much in the way of receiving threats. Off-the-field, there's been legal issues with a couple of their players, plus an assistant coach on suspension during a domestic violence investigation, which seems like it's made focusing on football somewhat difficult for the Penguins. Overall, it's looking like a down year in general for YSU, but they still won't be a "pushover". I trust that our defense should be able to hold their own against the YSU offense, but I'm still hoping to see an improved run game from our first few games. I think we do take a step forward and win by 6.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
tjk1985

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:02 pm

My Take
YSU is a team that has been struggling lately with both on-the-field and off-the-field issues. Offensively, they have one really good player, Tevin McCaster, but they don't have much in the way of receiving threats. Off-the-field, there's been legal issues with a couple of their players, plus an assistant coach on suspension during a domestic violence investigation, which seems like it's made focusing on football somewhat difficult for the Penguins. Overall, it's looking like a down year in general for YSU, but they still won't be a "pushover". I trust that our defense should be able to hold their own against the YSU offense, but I'm still hoping to see an improved run game from our first few games. I think we do take a step forward and win by 6.
I enjoy a good jet sweep as much as the next guy, but I would like to see more north/south action! :)
GV Dad

In the end, a win is a win. But I'll be a little disappointed if we don't beat these guys by double digits.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote:In the end, a win is a win. But I'll be a little disappointed if we don't beat these guys by double digits.
Well, sure. I'd love to see us completely roll them by like 24 points. I think we can if everything goes our way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tmelker

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:47 pm
GV Dad wrote:In the end, a win is a win. But I'll be a little disappointed if we don't beat these guys by double digits.
Well, sure. I'd love to see us completely roll them by like 24 points. I think we can if everything goes our way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just watched a team get pummeled by a team which was 17 points underdog, Vikings v. Buffalo. I think a win in the first conference game will be great, but there is no way one should overlook any team in this league. Because if you are not ready the Youngstown State team will be ready to take advantage and a team which is facing adversity is looking for anything to grab onto. This is one of those games our guys need to come in with the fast start which is becoming a trademark and not letting down until it is over.
TraditionofTough

Execution and field possession will win this game for WIU. On Offense, I expect for us to continue utilizing the jet sweep to open up the middle of the field, but also continue to hit our bubble screens with speed out of the backfield. Don’t be surprised if we continue to see some trickery from coach Elliott as well.

As for the Defense, I expect a solid game in the trenches to keep the run game at a minimum. If we get pressure with our front, then that will allow coach Stockton to get more creative with coverage/blitz schemes, which could lead to more turnover opportunities.

Special teams - execute, execute, execute. No more stuttering on punts (which seems to have been corrected after watching the Montana game) and we need to continue to get consistent in our kicking game.

Overall, I like WIU odds in this game, but our boys are going to have to play four full quarters to secure this win. How awesome would it be to start 1-0 in the conference while bringing our record to .500? Not an easy road with the 2nd toughest schedule in FCS, but we just need to take one game at a time and keep building off this momentum.
Western_101

Damn....YSU has two non-scholarships on their schedule. That is deplorable.

Yes, Western has a very hard schedule as that is what we do. That is what we like.

NDSU's schedule is a joke.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:10 pm Damn....YSU has two non-scholarships on their schedule. That is deplorable.
And they went 1-1 against them.
Western_101

Western blowout win.

Our strategy of keeping YSU in Coordinators/Staff in a phone booth is solid.

Also, Provided anything happens on the Westside, keep tradition alive and find a phone booth.
rocki

RedNeck wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:35 pm Western blowout win.

Our strategy of keeping YSU in Coordinators/Staff in a phone booth is solid.

Also, Provided anything happens on the Westside, keep tradition alive and find a phone booth.
I don't get it.............