ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Image VS Image

Game Time: 2:00 PM on Saturday, October 6th
Weather:
ImageImage

TV/Radio:
TV/Streaming: ESPN+, NBC Sports Chicago
Radio: WRMS 94.3 (Beardstown), WJEQ 102.7 (Macomb)
Streaming Audio - wrmsfm.com, WRMS on Tunein.com

About the Redbirds
Illinois State is 3-1 on the season, opening with a home dismantling of NAIA Saint Xavier (IL) 46-0 and then hosting in-state rival Eastern Illinois and winning that one 48-10. They then headed out west to Colorado State, where they had a surprisingly strong win 35-19 (CSU is a bad team, but they're still FBS). Last weekend though, Illinois State traveled to Missouri State and were mostly shut down offensively, losing 24-21 to the Bears. ISU QB Brady Davis has completed 60.6% of his passes for 711 yards (237 ypg) with 7 TDs and 0 INTs so far. WR Spencer Schnell is the primary target, averaging 94 ypg receiving and has 2 TDs. TE Tyler Petkovich also has 2 receiving TDs on the season. On the ground, RB James Robinson is the big offensive playmaker, racking up 127.3 yards per game (8.3 per carry) and has 5 TDs. RB Markel Smith is doing well too, averaging 67.3 ypg with 2 TDs. Defensively LB Zackary Mathews leads the team in tackles with 23 (10 solo), and has 3 tackles for loss including 1 sack. LB Ty Deforest has 2 INTs returned a total of 43 yards so far and sophomore DE Romeo McKnight has 2 sacks.
Overall, the Redbirds are 12th in the FCS in points per game at 37.5 and 18th in yards per game with 18. On defense, they're allowing 13.3 points per game (7th) and 292.8 yards per game (16th).

Series History: WIU has played Illinois State 100 times with WIU holding a series lead, 51-46-3. Last year's matchup was a game where ISU got up early, 14-0 at halftime, but we turned it on in the second half eventually passing by the Redbirds while holding them scoreless to take a 31-14 victory.

Predictions:
Massey - 24-20 ILSU win
CompughterRatings.com - 26-18 ILSU win
Sagarin - 1 point ILSU win

Rankings:
Sagarin (out of all DI teams): ILSU 87, WIU 133
Massey Composite: ILSU 10, WIU 23

My Take
I'm thinking this is going to be a tough battle of a game. Illinois State is probably not very happy after losing at Missouri State, plus they might want some revenge for letting last year's game get out of hand. If we can shore up some of the late-game defensive issues and maybe get our running game going a little better then we have a decent chance. Most predictions are favoring ISU but are within 1 score, so if one or two things go our way, we can get out of Normal with a win. When a game is this close, I gotta go with the Leathernecks. I think we win a nailbiter 24-21.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

If weather isn't a factor, this is a game that your SR QB has to go win for you. We are not going to beat anyone with our running game this year. We just don't have it on the OL right now. But if Sean can play mistake free, bring some swagger, and get the ball to our play makers, I think we win this game. WIU 34-24
Tere North

Deadbirds!!

Western_101

The remaining schedule I see one likely win one likely loss and the rest 50/50s

I haven't quite figured out the pecking order yet in our conference this year. I really don't know how good ISU is? Oddly with 4 games under their belt it appears Missouri State has been their toughest opponent.

ISU is a good team, the non counter game vs. SXU and then the unexpected loss to MSU... all of a sudden they are feeling a lot of pressure to stick it to the 'Necks come Saturday. I was pleased to see MSU beat ISU but I almost feel like because ISU let a game slip away they are going to bring their Agame Saturday. I will make no prediction.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote: the unexpected loss to MSU... all of a sudden they are feeling a lot of pressure to stick it to the 'Necks come Saturday. I was pleased to see MSU beat ISU but I almost feel like because ISU let a game slip away they are going to bring their Agame Saturday.
I pretty much feel the same way. I kinda wish they'd barely won the Missouri State game...probably would be less motivation on their part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TraditionofTough

Agreed, this will be a tough game.. ISU is a good ball club, but we have been demonstrated improvement every week. If we strike quick again (like we have the 4 past games) then I like our odds of keeping the momentum in our favor and getting out with the win. Definitely will need to take care of the football come Saturday.
leatherneckcountry

Had planned on making the trip but looking at the forecast I’m gonna stay home and watch on NBC
wiu712

Mom: the driving force behind WIU’s Khalen Saunders.

From the McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... -big-goals
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:29 am Had planned on making the trip but looking at the forecast I’m gonna stay home and watch on NBC
We've already got our tickets, so I'm going. I'll look like this, but I'll be there.
LocalYokelFan

Since moving to Macomb and supporting the Leathernecks, this has become my favorite rivalry of any WIU sport. Looking forward to going over to BloNo, rain or shine, and seeing a great MVFC and intrastate match-up.

I think it will come down to how our D-line holds up. Looking at some of the stats and commentary, sounds like the ISU offense started slow last week. That unit can be really good, particularly in the run game. But if Saunders and the gang can get some early pressure and at least slow the run attack, we should have a chance to move the football.

McGuire seems to get jacked for this game, so I'll go 40-37 'Necks over the I Screwed Up Deadbirds in a rainy shootout.