Attendance Ideas and Solutions

sealhall74

rocki wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:21 pm Or get one of the fashion merchandising classes to make a bunch of these for game days............/www.tiemart.com/dark-purple-and-golden- ... fcQAvD_BwE
That is a grand idea. I think that is the secret. Get everyone on campus involved in gamedays in creative ways. Sort of thinking outside the box of football and sports in general.
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

Seems like it would be a good idea to try and come up with things that involve students other than just the athletes - like the fashion merchandising students being interested in seeing how their "product" is received. With all the varied interests and programs, surely someone could come up with ideas for how students in other departments could contribute and get a "stake in game day".
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

In case you want to wear a suit with the tie: https://www.opposuits.com/suits/solid-c ... rince.html
Personally though, I'd go with the gold tie with the purple suit rather than striped with the purple...in case the purples don't match.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tmelker

My oldest son goes to Michigan Technological University they are a school half the size of WIU. Play Division 2 in all sports but hockey. The pep band makes the games so much fun, the students pack the arena and have a riot with all there cheers at the game. It is so entertaining. The interesting part is the school is full of engineers and there is no music major offered. If someone could work with the marching band and lead the students at games it would be great. The link is how they enter any game. The energy in all the venues are brought in by the band.

The kids have so much fun and us old farts are reminded of the energy and join along. Sometimes small things make huge differences.
The band is always at the tailgates and just mucking it up. They are absolutely crazy and incredibly smart. The culture of this band has been their for 30 years.

Here is another one of their antics, sometimes the play it up with the band, by playing three blind mice and they run into each other.
GV Dad

^^^ Love this! ^^^
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I realize this is the football forum (and a couple of you guys are football dads), but if you get a chance to stop by and check out the pep band at a home basketball game sometime, you should. The pep band is pretty much always the loudest and most "intense" section of the crowd. They're essentially both the student cheering section and the band. They wouldn't really be able to do that "march in" thing though...not as easily anyway, because the band shows up early and starts playing a good 20-30 minutes before the game starts and usually, at first, are the only ones in the arena besides maybe a couple of early fans and the basketball teams themselves.

The band has also been specifically told that they can't play things that might be offensive to people...such as playing "3 blind mice" for the refs. That's an administrative decision though (not athletics administrative...university administrative).
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:34 am I realize this is the football forum (and a couple of you guys are football dads), but if you get a chance to stop by and check out the pep band at a home basketball game sometime, you should. The pep band is pretty much always the loudest and most "intense" section of the crowd. They're essentially both the student cheering section and the band. They wouldn't really be able to do that "march in" thing though...not as easily anyway, because the band shows up early and starts playing a good 20-30 minutes before the game starts and usually, at first, are the only ones in the arena besides maybe a couple of early fans and the basketball teams themselves.

The band has also been specifically told that they can't play things that might be offensive to people...such as playing "3 blind mice" for the refs. That's an administrative decision though (not athletics administrative...university administrative).
I think it is only offensive if it is done in the context of a controversial call during the game. Before the game starts, half-time, I say all is fair in love, war, and fan entertainment.
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

I also thought these were fake refs.............
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:38 am I think it is only offensive if it is done in the context of a controversial call during the game. Before the game starts, half-time, I say all is fair in love, war, and fan entertainment.
I agree with you on that. There are certain other people in charge who don't, however. People that are WAY above my pay grade.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:58 am
sealhall74 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:32 am I think ST met with the assistant AD yesterday.

We're waitin', we're waitin', we're waitin' for the report.
We're waitin', we're waitin', we're waitin' for the report.

Sorry, I had a flashback to my much younger days when we were anxious for the AHS Cardinals to emerge out of their locker room. ;)
Rescheduled for this afternoon. Was going to be yesterday but I was out sick. Apparently sitting around outside in 45-degree weather for 3 hours on a Saturday evening is not conducive to good health.
For anyone who missed my comments, I posted them over here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1806