Attendance Ideas and Solutions

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Alternately, Macomb Chamber of Commerce Gift Certificates are accepted a TON of places around town: https://chambermaster.blob.core.windows ... ---WEB.pdf
That would let students spend it in a variety of places and "categories" (grocery stores, pharmacies, restaurants, retail stores, movie theater, etc.) but also help keep the money in Macomb.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
OldHare

Here is a more extreme idea.
Western_101

Western could give away a few rooms in Tanner (working plumbing and electricity extra)
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Back when Georgia State played in the old Georgia Dome, they tried dropping cash from the rafters onto the field where fans could run out onto at halftime. That didn't go so well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

I think fans and students should be rewarded for doing something beyond just showing up at the game. Why not have a contest where they can show off their skills in fun and creative ways. So what might the contests be? Off the top of my head, here are a few ideas.

1) For the artistically inclined, have a chain-link fence cup art contest along the fences around Hanson Field before the game starts. Take pictures of entries and show on video board during breaks in the action. Maybe students and fans can vote on them with a smart phone app during the game. Winner announced at end of 3rd quarter.

2) Drone flying aerial acrobat contest at halftime. This one might pose some safety issues which can probably be mitigated by having a practice contest or two down on the Brophy fields so the kinks can be ironed out before turning them loose on Hanson Field.

3) Bring your pets to the game have a best dog trick halftime show. Need a animal-loving emcee to run this contest and crowd applause determines the winner(s).

Embrace the pace of the race.
OldHare

OldHare wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:48 pm Here is a more extreme idea.
The giveaway only yielded 1 winner which was for the meal plan. 2 potential winners were called for each of the other 2 prizes and no one claimed the prize during the early 4th quarter. 1 out of 5 who registered claimed a prize. The rest were on to bigger and better activities.
sealhall74

OldHare wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:10 pm
OldHare wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:48 pm Here is a more extreme idea.
The giveaway only yielded 1 winner which was for the meal plan. 2 potential winners were called for each of the other 2 prizes and no one claimed the prize during the early 4th quarter. 1 out of 5 who registered claimed a prize. The rest were on to bigger and better activities.
Kids these days have the attention span of a goldfish. :lol:
sealhall74

After Saturday night's lackluster attendance againt #1, I would definitely consider bringing in a consulting firm to do some research into campus and town factors which might be hurting attendance. I think we have to be realistic with our expectations. Fixing this will not happen overnight.
wiu712

Several factors were in play for this game.

Making it a night game was one of them.

And then there was the "Fall Break Weekend" which meant that a lot of students were out of town.

Question: Is that Fall Break contractually-obligated to come at the 8-week mark of the semester ??? If not, perhaps it could have come one week earlier (Oct 6) or one week later (Oct 20) when the team was on the road.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:24 am After Saturday night's lackluster attendance againt #1, I would definitely consider bringing in a consulting firm to do some research into campus and town factors which might be hurting attendance. I think we have to be realistic with our expectations. Fixing this will not happen overnight.
I agree attendance was bad. Not sure if paying a consulting firm would be the smart thing to do, budget wise.

As people have mentioned (although I enjoyed it), it was a night game in October. It wasn't brutally cold, but chilly enough to have people thinking about watching it on ESPN+ or listening on the radio. I don't think realistically any of us expected to pull off an upset, and we have no stake in NDSU , so why go and watch us get clobbered? We did play a fairly good half of a game, but the last half? Now THAT was brutal to watch. Not sure how much it plays in, but it was the last weekend of the Spoon River Drive (and the first weekend had bad weather) and a lot of people go on that.