WIU vs North Dakota State (10/13/2018)

GV Dad

tjbison wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:49 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:24 pm
GV Dad wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:05 pm Agreed. I wouldn't mind cold and some wind, as they are used to playing inside. But need to keep it dry.
They play inside, but they have outdoor turf practice fields, and they've had mostly the same weather we've had (but a bit colder). Tomorrow, Fargo is supposed to be a high of 36 with rain/snow/wind. I'd bet that the team spends a decent amount outside practicing in that to get ready for Saturday. NDSU will be ready for whatever mother nature has in store, and I do not want to see what happens when weather shuts down our passing game.

Correct, have outdoor Turf and Grass Practice fields, been raining non stop for 3 days, system moving thru tonight thats gonna suck, way to damn early for this but your right, they will be outside
TJBison, are you going to be at the game? You're welcome to stop by our tailgate if you are!
wiu712

The Weather Channel has now removed "rain" from the Saturday night forecast. The rain is now predicted to come on Sunday.

High predicted to be 55 on Saturday. Falling into the 40's during the game.
tjbison

GV Dad wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:51 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:24 pm

They play inside, but they have outdoor turf practice fields, and they've had mostly the same weather we've had (but a bit colder). Tomorrow, Fargo is supposed to be a high of 36 with rain/snow/wind. I'd bet that the team spends a decent amount outside practicing in that to get ready for Saturday. NDSU will be ready for whatever mother nature has in store, and I do not want to see what happens when weather shuts down our passing game.

Correct, have outdoor Turf and Grass Practice fields, been raining non stop for 3 days, system moving thru tonight thats gonna suck, way to damn early for this but your right, they will be outside
TJBison, are you going to be at the game? You're welcome to stop by our tailgate if you are!
I wish and would love to tailgate, but its Pheasant Hunting season up here and thats my second passion, getting 2 weeks in a row with NDSU on the road is my dream Oct Scenario, Ill be watching on NBC from hunting camp...but next year if you make it to Fargo your also welcome to come by my tailgate!

Cheers to a good Injury free game!
GV Dad

tjbison wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:58 pm
GV Dad wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:51 pm

I wish and would love to tailgate, but its Pheasant Hunting season up here and thats my second passion, getting 2 weeks in a row with NDSU on the road is my dream Oct Scenario, Ill be watching on NBC from hunting camp...but next year if you make it to Fargo your also welcome to come by my tailgate!

Cheers to a good Injury free game!
Thank you, I will take you up on that!
sealhall74

Another interesting chart from the WIU math major. Six games left for all conference teams. How many wins are each team likely to get
based on Massey Matchup predictions for remaining games.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... ingle=true

Assuming five teams will make the playoffs and NDSU, SDSU, and ISUr are pretty much givens, it looks like a dogfight between UNI, MSU, USD, and WIU for the final two spots.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:24 am Another interesting chart from the WIU math major. Six games left for all conference teams. How many wins are each team likely to get

Assuming five teams will make the playoffs and NDSU, SDSU, and ISUr are pretty much givens, it looks like a dogfight between UNI, MSU, USD, and WIU for the final two spots.
Interesting data, although I don't think you can assume 5 teams from the MVFC making the playoffs. We had 4 in 2016, only 2 in 2013, 3 in 2012 (although only 20 spots that year). It all depends on how much the "mid-level" teams beat each other up. If the 4 in the middle all end up about even, none may get in. If one or two emerge as "top dogs" and win most of those "coin flip" games, then they'll get to go. Back in 2010, 6 out of the 9 conference teams went 4-4 in conference. 5 of those teams ended up 6-5 or 5-6 overall and none made the playoffs. NDSU was the other 4-4, but had gone 9-5 overall, so they made it in.

In general, you pretty much have to get 7 DI wins under normal circumstances, although YSU was left at home in 2013 even with an 8-4 record and a top 20 ranking. They lost their last 3 games of the season that year and the committee doesn't like teams "backing into the playoffs".
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
tjbison

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:39 am
sealhall74 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:24 am Another interesting chart from the WIU math major. Six games left for all conference teams. How many wins are each team likely to get

Interesting data, although I don't think you can assume 5 teams from the MVFC making the playoffs. We had 4 in 2016, only 2 in 2013, 3 in 2012 (although only 20 spots that year). It all depends on how much the "mid-level" teams beat each other up. If the 4 in the middle all end up about even, none may get in. If one or two emerge as "top dogs" and win most of those "coin flip" games, then they'll get to go. Back in 2010, 6 out of the 9 conference teams went 4-4 in conference. 5 of those teams ended up 6-5 or 5-6 overall and none made the playoffs. NDSU was the other 4-4, but had gone 9-5 overall, so they made it in.

In general, you pretty much have to get 7 DI wins under normal circumstances, although YSU was left at home in 2013 even with an 8-4 record and a top 20 ranking. They lost their last 3 games of the season that year and the committee doesn't like teams "backing into the playoffs".
Only reason we got in in 2010 was the Kansas Win, if we did not have that we would have been left out, that was the year I consider our run starting, we were 1 bad play away from taking down the Eventual Champion at their house with a pack of Freshman players. Once playoffs started we kicked it into a whole different gear, smoked RMU, Blew out Montana St at their place, and lost by seconds to EWU.

Just proved even what looks like a Mediocre MVFC team could do, but we did have a pretty amazing group of players that never lost a playoff game again (2013 class)
sealhall74

More statistical fun and games from the math and chart guy.
It is almost Halloween so a "Spider" (aka "Radar") chart seems very appropriate.
Can our passing game put a dent in their defense?

https://script.google.com/macros/s/AKfy ... =1&game=82
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Can our passing game put a dent in their defense?
If we're going to win, that's probably how we'll have to do it. Unless McShane suddenly become the second-coming of Stecker or Donaldson, we're not going to get anywhere on the ground. Gotta get the passing game going and hope our defense can slow down their running game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Could Sam Crosa's younger brother Griffin be in the stands on Saturday night? I see he has verballed to the Bison for next year. Yes, he is also a kicker.