WIU at Missouri State (10/20/2018)

letsgonecks

letsgonecks wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:19 pm Any insider info on Tate's status? Is Wahee done for the year or is there potential to get him back soon? Looked legit in the Illini game before getting hurt. Would be great to add them both to the arsenal down the stretch.

Scott, can you do some recon at tomorrows practice or Friday's walk-through? See who's taking part and if any major parts are missing?

Wheeler wasn't on the 2 deep, so assuming he's still out. Had his arm in a sling last week, so down a DB. Muniz was out late last week, but hopefully back at it.
Still hoping we get Tate back for this week. We'll need him, but did notice Wahee travelled and dressed last week at MSU. Had a knee brace on, so probably not 100%, but the fact he travelled and dressed means he's heading in the right direction. Maybe it was a one game fluke for him, but looked like a solid option against IL and on more than just his TD catch.

Super pumped about our running game last week, but shouldn't expect the same this week and will likely need all hands on deck in the passing game. Hope I'm wrong and we pound it down their throats and eat up clock, but not holding my breath.
LocalYokelFan

I'll admit, I didn't get to see or watch this one, but I've been scouring the news reports and box score and things looked pretty good! 260 yds on the ground - If we get that each of the remaining weeks and we may run the remaining regular season table.

Question for GV Dad or someone who saw this game - Did the O-Line look better? Or was the 260 more of a product of poor tackling/undermatched Bear defenders? I think that unit can be good, it's just inexperienced and needed MVFC reps. I'm hoping that they are hitting that accelerated portion of that learning curve and starting to dominate like it seems they did this weekend.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

LocalYokelFan wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:37 pm I'll admit, I didn't get to see or watch this one, but I've been scouring the news reports and box score and things looked pretty good! 260 yds on the ground - If we get that each of the remaining weeks and we may run the remaining regular season table.

Question for GV Dad or someone who saw this game - Did the O-Line look better? Or was the 260 more of a product of poor tackling/undermatched Bear defenders? I think that unit can be good, it's just inexperienced and needed MVFC reps. I'm hoping that they are hitting that accelerated portion of that learning curve and starting to dominate like it seems they did this weekend.
I'm sure GV Dad will have a better idea since he was there and knows football better than I do, but it looked to me like the O-Line was a lot better. They had a rough time for the last couple of weeks because NDSU's D-line and LBs are probably the best in the FCS and ILSU's D-line is also really good, but they are getting better and it really showed against Missouri State. Season high rushing yards and total yards (most total yards Missouri State has given up this season), McShane having a huge day, 11 of 18 on 3rd down conversions (which was the best this season by quite a bit).

Also, there's this...Redshirt Freshman O-Lineman of the Week

They're getting better. UNI is still going to be tough...they also have a really good defense (kept SDSU out of the end zone last weekend), but they're improving quickly.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU2DC

Just saw Montana plays at home against UC Davis. We should all be cheering for Montana to pull off that upset this upcoming weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GV Dad

LocalYokelFan wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:37 pm I'll admit, I didn't get to see or watch this one, but I've been scouring the news reports and box score and things looked pretty good! 260 yds on the ground - If we get that each of the remaining weeks and we may run the remaining regular season table.

From what I saw, the OL looked great at times and ave at others. Still inconsistent, but getting better. There were a couple big runs that skewed the numbers a little, but there was a point in the game when we moved the ball about 70 yds with Norris, and he was consistently getting to the second level before he was being touched, so credit the OL for that. Pass Pro was sketchy at times too. I'd like to be more excited about the line play, but I don't think MO State's D Line was that talented. So we'll have to see what happens this Saturday with UNI's front. I'm assuming they will be better.
letsgonecks

WIU2DC wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:07 pm Just saw Montana plays at home against UC Davis. We should all be cheering for Montana to pull off that upset this upcoming weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I was pulling for Montana State Saturday against Weber St, but they gave up 21 unanswered points to end the game. Since we need to win out to have a shot at 7-4, I'm rooting for them to go 2 and 2 to finish, with one of the losses to Montana to end the year. Don't want them to be at 7-4 and potentially take a spot from us with a head to head win. Our loss to them doesn't hurt with them being 6-5.

Us being 7-4 should be a shoe in for the playoff, but never know when it comes to the committee. Someone has to be left out each year and the committee putting us at Weber State last year makes me not trust them.
wiu712

Football records their first road win.
From the Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/42487/sports ... -road-win/