WIU at Missouri State (10/20/2018)

wiu712

Western wins the game 31-14.

565 total yards for Western (260 yards rushing). 283 total yards for Missouri State.

Attendance at Missouri State = 12,109.
Western_101

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:17 pm When we and UNI get together, does the visiting team travel the day before the game? Three and a half hour trip is not that long but long enough for an old guy to stiffen up without a pit stop or two along the way.

UNI looking like they have a pretty good two-headed monster at QB. Dont count on us running for 150+ next week.
I know that two years ago when Western played at Northern, which is a three hour drive, Western stayed in Aurora the night before. Seemed to work out pretty well :D
Western_101

The first half I heard one of the broadcasters make the statement that Western and MSU were both tied at #23 with strength of schedule.

FIrst, how could there possibly be 22 teams ranked ahead of Western with SOS.

Second, how could MSU be tied with Western in any SOS conversation when they have a D-II team on their schedule.

Also, unrelated NAU lost 42-14 to a previously winless (0-7) Northern Colorado. So, umm, yeah pretty sure MSU is coming back down to Earth. Honestly if not for the ridiculous wind Sean probably would have connected better with his receivers and Western should have won by more than 30.

A win is win, and any win in the Valley is hard fought.
wiu712

Promising season takes hit after Missouri State gets blown out by Western Illinois.

From the Springfield, MO News-Leader:
https://www.news-leader.com/story/sport ... 669086002/
leatherneckcountry

If we can some how win next week then I think we win out USD looks like they have given up and there oline is garbage and INSU and SIU aren't very good.
Western_101

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:39 pm If we can some how win next week then I think we win out USD looks like they have given up and there oline is garbage and INSU and SIU aren't very good.
Yup, the season lies in the balance this coming Saturday. UNI is going to tough. But, Damn, Illinois, Montana, Y-State, ISU, NDSU......come on. This is the most rigorous FCS schedule. Somebody tell me I'm mistaken.

This team is battle tested.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:08 pm The first half I heard one of the broadcasters make the statement that Western and MSU were both tied at #23 with strength of schedule.

FIrst, how could there possibly be 22 teams ranked ahead of Western with SOS.

Second, how could MSU be tied with Western in any SOS conversation when they have a D-II team on their schedule.

Also, unrelated NAU lost 42-14 to a previously winless (0-7) Northern Colorado. So, umm, yeah pretty sure MSU is coming back down to Earth. Honestly if not for the ridiculous wind Sean probably would have connected better with his receivers and Western should have won by more than 30.

A win is win, and any win in the Valley is hard fought.
They going off of Sagarin for that? Must be, Massey has us at #2 toughest SoS for teams we've already played. Missouri State is #21. If you go off of projected SoS for all teams on the schedule this year, we're at 3 and Missouri State is 5. We've played most of the toughest teams in the conference and they still have both the Dakota State schools to play. Plus the team that they don't have to play this year (YSU) is looking worse and worse, so they're playing the harder teams in the conference....whereas we get to "miss" SDSU.
You can see the rankings here: https://www.masseyratings.com/cf2018/fcs/ratings
And you can click on the header of each column to sort by that. SoS is strength of schedule for games already played. SSF is strength of schedule including all games this season.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

wiu712 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:03 pm Western wins the game 31-14.

565 total yards for Western (260 yards rushing). 283 total yards for Missouri State.

I went to the game with a friend of mine whose son goes to MSU. He told us, since it was homecoming, his Fraternity required all their brothers to be at the game until after the HC royalty and awards announcements at halftime. The other Greek organizations had similar requirements. This made a great student section for the first half. But also a huge crowd leaving the stadium before the 2nd half kick. That 12,109 shrunk to about 7,000 for the 2nd half kick. And it was still a very close game at that point.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote:

I went to the game with a friend of mine whose son goes to MSU. He told us, since it was homecoming, his Fraternity required all their brothers to be at the game until after the HC royalty and awards announcements at halftime. The other Greek organizations had similar requirements. This made a great student section for the first half. But also a huge crowd leaving the stadium before the 2nd half kick. That 12,109 shrunk to about 7,000 for the 2nd half kick. And it was still a very close game at that point.
Still, if you get all the Greek houses there for a game and a few might stick around to the end. Might get a few long-term fans out of it.

It also counts for attendance, which makes the numbers look better, and even if they're only there for a half, some might still buy a few concessions.

I'll absolutely take a bunch of students showing up for a half over students not showing up at all.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:44 am
GV Dad wrote:

Still, if you get all the Greek houses there for a game and a few might stick around to the end. Might get a few long-term fans out of it.

It also counts for attendance, which makes the numbers look better, and even if they're only there for a half, some might still buy a few concessions.

I'll absolutely take a bunch of students showing up for a half over students not showing up at all.
I'm 50/50 on this Scott. While I agree, you have a much better chance developing a "fan" if the person is at the game to begin with. But I also would rather have 1,000 students being loud and in to the game, as opposed to 3,000 just there for the halftime show sitting on their hands and socializing with their neighbor.

You are 100% right though, the 12,000 attendance number looks so much better on paper than the 3 or 4 thousand we've been getting.