Playoffs sitting at 6-5?

Western_101

With Western's SOS would 6-5 get them included in playoffs? I say there might be a way and it would have to be that the 'Necks get the signature win against UNI don't lose to SIU or InSU and lose a close one to USD then it would still be pending on what happens with the auto bids and the committee deciding to leave some 7-4s at home. I think the Valley is a little down this year and won't be getting 5 bids so that factors in as well.

So maybe a 5% chance?
sealhall74

I dont see 6-5 going anywhere this year. Too many good teams out of the Colonial. They might get more playoff spots than the MVFC.
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU2DC

sealhall74 wrote:I dont see 6-5 going anywhere this year. Too many good teams out of the Colonial. They might get more playoff spots than the MVFC.

Totally agree. Unless the CAA implodes and the bottom feeders start winning, a 6-5 MVFC team doesn’t make it. Easiest thing to do is just win out. Besides the NDSU game, we either should have won or played right with everyone we lost to. If we win out, I don’t see the committee leaving us out of the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

The only way I see us making it in at 6-5 is if:
  • We only lose to UNI by a point or two, and then UNI wins out, beating Illinois State, Youngstown State, and Missouri State to end the season 8-3 with a pretty high ranking.
  • We go on to destroy SIU, USD, and INSU.
  • We get some help from some of the other "bubble teams" losing. If we're up against 6-5 teams from other conferences, we'd win that call, but if it's a choice between a 8-3 or 7-4 team from another conference and a 6-5 WIU...I don't see that going our way.
Alternately, invent a time machine, go back and find a way for a couple of FGs or FG attempts to go our way in the Montana State game. We win that one and we'd have a TON more breathing room at this point. With that, we could lose either the UNI or USD game and win the rest and still be good for the playoffs.

Really though, we gotta do our own thing, win out, and not have to worry about it.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

Got it. Plan A) Win out. Plan B) Invent a time machine.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:47 am Got it. Plan A) Win out. Plan B) Invent a time machine.
Pretty much...win out, we're in. Lose a game, we're out unless we're incredibly lucky.
GV Dad

RedNeck wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:47 am Got it. Plan A) Win out. Plan B) Invent a time machine.
LOL! I say we still work on that time machine regardless RedNeck!
leatherneckcountry

Better chance of me winning that Mega Millions tomorrow then us getting in at 6-5. At this point a loss to INSU doesn't look as bad as a loss to USD.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:05 pm Better chance of me winning that Mega Millions tomorrow then us getting in at 6-5. At this point a loss to INSU doesn't look as bad as a loss to USD.
Ok, you do that, buy us a new stadium and stuff. I'll get to work on the time machine.
Western_101

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:41 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:05 pm Better chance of me winning that Mega Millions tomorrow then us getting in at 6-5. At this point a loss to INSU doesn't look as bad as a loss to USD.
Ok, you do that, buy us a new stadium and stuff. I'll get to work on the time machine.
Which is more challenging now since the IEPA banned the use of plutonium. I blame our lawmakers