Meet Me in St Louie?

GV Dad

I'm going to St Louis this Friday night for a High School football playoff game. Got me thinking, it would be so cool if we had a yearly game with either MO State or SIU at the Dome in St L every year. Make it a tradition. The "Meet Me in St Louie Bowl"? Central Missouri and Northwest Missouri used to play at Arrowhead Stadium in KC every year. They would ave around 30,000 in attendance. We could draw that or more in St Louis. It would be a nice payout for the 2 schools and also a fun event for the fans. Not to mention, be great advertisement for the school in St L. Both for Football recruiting and student recruiting. MVFC offices are in St Louis as well, so I know they could assist with getting this started. And also with marketing. Thoughts?
Western_101

I like the Idea. Where would it be played?

SEMO and SIU played a game at Busch Stadium five years ago about 15k spectators showed up.

The Cardinals aren't interested in sharing their venue for the use of football again. Apparently (predictably) the hallowed grounds of Busch Stadium's field got pretty tore up.

The cavernous wretched Dome at America's Center? 15k fans in a depressing 70,000 capacity venue doesn't sound particularly appealing or sensible.

So IDK. If St. Louis had a 20,000 seat MLS facility that would be perfect but they don't. It't my understanding that the dome will be paid off in a couple years and that it will then likely be demolished. St. Louis is flirting with the idea of luring a MLS team to St. Louis or getting an expansion team. Maybe in 5-10 years there will be a MLS soccer venue on the space the current dome occupies.

I'm not that familiar with St. Louis is there an appropriate venue there to host D-I football that I am unaware of?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:38 pm I like the Idea. Where would it be played?

SEMO and SIU played a game at Busch Stadium five years ago about 15k spectators showed up.

The Cardinals aren't interested in sharing their venue for the use of football again. Apparently (predictably) the hallowed grounds of Busch Stadium's field got pretty tore up.

The cavernous wretched Dome at America's Center? 15k fans in a depressing 70,000 capacity venue doesn't sound particularly appealing or sensible.

So IDK. If St. Louis had a 20,000 seat MLS facility that would be perfect but they don't. It't my understanding that the dome will be paid off in a couple years and that it will then likely be demolished. St. Louis is flirting with the idea of luring a MLS team to St. Louis or getting an expansion team. Maybe in 5-10 years there will be a MLS soccer venue on the space the current dome occupies.

I'm not that familiar with St. Louis is there an appropriate venue there to host D-I football that I am unaware of?
There's not really anything in St. Louis that's between the dome and HS stadiums. Best I could think of was taking the dome and dropping banners over the upper sections. Some of the large stadiums will do that for things like soccer that don't draw as many people (see photo of Atlanta United match at Mercedes-Benz Stadium below). The next "size" down would be something like Lindenwood University's stadium, which holds ~7k.
If St. Louis ever gets a MLS franchise, they might build this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis_MLS_Stadium which would be ideal, but who knows if that will ever happen. I'm not opposed to trying something like this...a neutral site game in a city where we have a decent amount of alumni, but St. Louis doesn't have a huge number of options for it.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

Absolutely have it at the Dome. 66,000 is capacity. I think you'd be surprised how many folks would show up to the game. Like I posted about the D2 game, they ave 30,000. One year they advertised as trying to set the D2 attendance record and I believe over 70,000 showed up. It's all in the marketing.
GV Dad

I wasn't aware they were looking to demolish in a couple years though. That would put a monkey wrench in the idea.
Western_101

Then again maybe St. Louis is going to throw good money after bad.
https://www.stltoday.com/business/local ... b9b06.html

I guess we will wait and see.
sealhall74

WIU has the homefield advantage in this affair. No Amtrak at all from Springfield, MO to St. Louis. Carbondale folks have to travel through the Windy City to get to the Gateway to the West. ;)

Oops, my bad. Both Leatherneck and Saluki fans have to go thru Chicago. Not sure I like this. On the other hand, a mix of Saluki and Leatherneck fans all on the same train could be interesting.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Western_101

Also to make a thing like this happen one school has to decide to give up a home game.