WIU at South Dakota (11/10/2018)

Western_101

Not close to the program did we bus to Sioux City? I know we bus to Springfield, those long bus trips , well for one take the whole day and waste a whole day. Also, pretty easy to start getting lethargic sitting in a bus traveling 70mph vs. a plane traveling 530 mph.

I think they bused this one. Big mistake. I know we bus UNI, ISUr, ISUb, SIU, MSU. Pretty sure we always fly to SDSU , NDSU and Youngstown. Just for perspective NCAA will not bus a team more than 500 miles. So Even in the eyes of the NCAA this was a shitty bus trip.

If I'm wrong and we flew into Sioux City I'm unaware of it. Being unaware seems to be happening more frequently in life to me.? Anyone aware where we stayed in Sioux City? Meh what's one is done. We overall are a better team, but USD is plenty good enough to negate any slight advantage.

My last year hating Dirt bag Nielson, all the kids he STRAIGHT FACED LIED TO will be gone. On to a new era. I wish we would have dropped that game at SIU instead of this one. I guess Elliot will be going for a winning season, I won't be there, there could be 300 people there maybe less (relatives of seniors).
Western_101

What happens when you have a league with parity that beats everyone else up? Yet out of the league maybe name 5 teams that would dominate any given opponent. Weird times. I wonder how the committee will see things.

I liked seeing ISUb and MSU show some dominance, doesn't help the top of the league but in many ways makes it a healthier more appealing league.
Western_101

Neckfansince71 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:17 am Well I am going to be wandering around the Christmas Fair in Morris with my wife and my best friend and his wife from high school. Of course I will be carrying my phone. Last week my wife and daughter left me alone at home and they went shopping for baby furniture for our first grandchild. I watched the first half upstairs, then moved downstairs just cause it did not feel right. Hoping for a win no matter what the score! ;) jc
Not to get ticky tacky but Come on Jim have you ever met a friend like me. Come to think of it I might owe some of my fraternity brothers paid friend tiem :D
leatherneckcountry

This might be the worst playoff field that the FCS has ever had. I think the biggest question is who's getting clobbered in the championship game.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote:This might be the worst playoff field that the FCS has ever had. I think the biggest question is who's getting clobbered in the championship game.
I have to agree. The MVFC had a rough weekend, but everyone has been having weekends like this. Teams that people thought were "head and shoulders" above the field have a couple of losses. Personally, I think it'd be cool to see Kennesaw State in the championship game, but it really depends on whichever of the "good" teams are on the other side of the bracket from NDSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Leatherneck57

Maybe just maybe if we beat Indiana State the playoff committee will see our record/schedule worthy of a playoff spot. Rumors are floating “Win and we’re in”. The committee owes us for that first round draw they gave us last year!

Don’t be surprised if Indiana State makes the field if they beat us because they would finish 7-4 good for 3rd place in the MVFC. They’ve had some big wins down the stretch and are playing good football at the right time plus they took then #2/3 SDSU to overtime at their place. They can flat out run the football and their QB is a good one.

What a turnaround that would be after going 0-11 in 2017!

Leathernecks can do it but it will take an all out effort like Montana, Youngstown State, MO State and UNI where we played almost perfect football. The keys to the game will be to stop the run, tackle, tackle, tackle, catch balls when we’re wide open and run the football with success. We have to have drives where we can mix it up and keep our defense off the field. We have to win the time of possession.

Let’s get it done Necks and take our chances at making the field of 24!
wiu712

Saturday's game will be the battle for third place in the conference.

A Western win would give both Indiana State and Western a 6-5 record. Northern Iowa could also finish 6-5 if they can beat Missouri State.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:Saturday's game will be the battle for third place in the conference.

A Western win would give both Indiana State and Western a 6-5 record. Northern Iowa could also finish 6-5 if they can beat Missouri State.
And in that case, we'd have a head to head win over both. At this point, I just want to finish with a winning record. We don't really have any control over anything outside of that. I'm not holding my breath for a playoff spot, but it would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu2013

RedNeck wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:35 am Not close to the program did we bus to Sioux City? I know we bus to Springfield, those long bus trips , well for one take the whole day and waste a whole day. Also, pretty easy to start getting lethargic sitting in a bus traveling 70mph vs. a plane traveling 530 mph.

I think they bused this one. Big mistake. I know we bus UNI, ISUr, ISUb, SIU, MSU. Pretty sure we always fly to SDSU , NDSU and Youngstown. Just for perspective NCAA will not bus a team more than 500 miles. So Even in the eyes of the NCAA this was a shitty bus trip.

If I'm wrong and we flew into Sioux City I'm unaware of it. Being unaware seems to be happening more frequently in life to me.? Anyone aware where we stayed in Sioux City? Meh what's one is done. We overall are a better team, but USD is plenty good enough to negate any slight advantage.

My last year hating Dirt bag Nielson, all the kids he STRAIGHT FACED LIED TO will be gone. On to a new era. I wish we would have dropped that game at SIU instead of this one. I guess Elliot will be going for a winning season, I won't be there, there could be 300 people there maybe less (relatives of seniors).
Yes, the team did bus to South Dakota and I agree that this was a huge mistake. This was an extremely important game and to ride on a bus for 8 hours the day before a game is very hard on the body. I know the athletic department needs to save money, but teams are being placed in terrible positions before the sporting events even begin. Will we ever be at the top of any conference when a majority of the teams in the conference are starting on 3rd base (travel etc), and we are still in the dug out!
wiu712

We have to remember that Western was picked to finish 7th in the pre-season poll. So to be in a position to finish 3rd would be exceeding expectations.

Looks like the Colonial Athletic Association will get a lot of spots in the playoffs as they have 5 teams with a 7-3 record: Maine, Delaware, James Madison, Stony Brook, and Towson.