WIU at South Dakota (11/10/2018)

leatherneckcountry

WIU2DC wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:42 am
GV Dad wrote:
RedNeck wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:37 pm Bob Nielson = Lie to young men that respect and trust you and tell them that you are here to stay.

Bob Nielson = Exit town as inconspicuously as possible (night time is always good).

Bob Nielson = What in so many ways is wrong with our Country and represents a total lack of respect for moral character and obligations and promises.

The whole world seems to pretend to be offended by everything but in the era of Trumponiasm, do and say what adavances your own selfish wants, one not even bother being gracious to a former employer or explain your decision to young men recruited that gave you their D-I eligibility "Clock".

Dear Lord, I ramble, The man was an Asshole. comprende?

WESTERN beat the FIGHTING cowards er coyotes.
Insert Charlie Fisher... Sat across the table from several recruits saying he wasn't going anywhere. Then a couple weeks later, off to the desert.

Yep, he wasn’t any better. Not only that but he took a coordinator job too. At least Nielson took a HC job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think a lot of it was just how people felt about them when they were here and the facts Nielsen basically asked for more money right after the university laid off a bunch of people. I personally wasn't sad to see Nielsen go. That being said it's been 3 freaking years when do we get over it.
wiu712

WESTERN HAS LEARNED TO NEVER FEEL OUT OF A GAME.
From the McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... quit-necks
letsgonecks

leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:55 am
GV Dad wrote:
Insert Charlie Fisher... Sat across the table from several recruits saying he wasn't going anywhere. Then a couple weeks later, off to the desert.

Yep, he wasn’t any better. Not only that but he took a coordinator job too. At least Nielson took a HC job.

I think a lot of it was just how people felt about them when they were here and the facts Nielsen basically asked for more money right after the university laid off a bunch of people. I personally wasn't sad to see Nielsen go. That being said it's been 3 freaking years when do we get over it.
Coaches leave and that is part of the business. No different than someone offering one of us a job we felt was better for our future. It does hurt when coaches leave and especially when the whole staff goes, leaving kids in limbo, but again it happens.

Wish it didn't happen as often as it does here, but the program is in much better shape after having both of them. Make the playoffs this year and next and we'll be once again in the same boat.

The Nielsen situation sucked, but happy to not have to see his smug face on the sideline or listen to him speak so unenthusiastically. Plus, we get a chance each year to beat him!!!!!!!

WIU 31 - USD 21
rocki

leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:55 am
GV Dad wrote:

For me, it will be when this group of seniors graduates. The other kids don't have any part in that whole debacle. Now, if we play AZ while Fisher's still there, his recruiting classes can kick his butt from here to Sunday. :lol:
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I don't have as big of a problem with Coach Fisher because a couple of reasons:
1. He left for a "step up" job. Yes, he went from a HC to a Receivers coach, but he more than doubled his salary with less responsibility ($183k -> $375k)
2. Now, I don't know what he did and didn't say to players and recruits before he left, but I know that there was significantly less anger from the players when Coach Fisher left than when Nielson left.
3. Because of how he left and the coaching job he was going to, nearly all of the coaching staff were able to stick around (if they wanted to), and his replacement was able to be someone the players and many of the recruits already knew really well.

With Nielson:
1. He left for only a slight raise, to team in the same conference.
2. He specifically told the players he wasn't going anywhere...and then left.
3. Because he went to the same job at a same-level school, he took pretty much his entire coaching staff and a large number of recruits. Now, not everyone he recruited for us and who switched to USD has worked out, but there's a few names of guys that pop up (in a good way) and I recognize from having verbally committed to WIU originally. I don't blame the kids really...they want to stick with the coaches that they already have a good relationship with...but with nearly all the coaches going there, it kinda hit us hard and put Coach Fisher "behind schedule" on recruiting kids. He still did well (here was his first recruiting class) and I think it worked out fine, but I know at the time that there were also some good kids that we lost to USD because of it.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
LocalYokelFan

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:06 pm I don't have as big of a problem with Coach Fisher because a couple of reasons:
1. He left for a "step up" job. Yes, he went from a HC to a Receivers coach, but he more than doubled his salary with less responsibility ($183k -> $375k)
2. Now, I don't know what he did and didn't say to players and recruits before he left, but I know that there was significantly less anger from the players when Coach Fisher left than when Nielson left.
3. Because of how he left and the coaching job he was going to, nearly all of the coaching staff were able to stick around (if they wanted to), and his replacement was able to be someone the players and many of the recruits already knew really well.

With Nielson:
1. He left for only a slight raise, to team in the same conference.
2. He specifically told the players he wasn't going anywhere...and then left.
3. Because he went to the same job at a same-level school, he took pretty much his entire coaching staff and a large number of recruits. Now, not everyone he recruited for us and who switched to USD has worked out, but there's a few names of guys that pop up (in a good way) and I recognize from having verbally committed to WIU originally. I don't blame the kids really...they want to stick with the coaches that they already have a good relationship with...but with nearly all the coaches going there, it kinda hit us hard and put Coach Fisher "behind schedule" on recruiting kids. He still did well (here was his first recruiting class) and I think it worked out fine, but I know at the time that there were also some good kids that we lost to USD because of it.
I'm done re-litigating this discussion every freaking year when we play USD, so I'm not going to. *I'll just say this -- this is a laughable post, Mr. Lawson (and others piling on the Nielson years). So jaded, so removed from reality, so biased that it's absolutely infuriating. Opinions are fine, that's what makes this board fun. But my goodness is the Nielson hate so far removed from reality.

I think we're the more physical team in this one and every bit as skilled, so there's no reason we don't take care of business on the road here. Call me crazy, but not only did losing their QB hurt USD, they lost a rising star defensive coach in Tyler Yelk. I think you'll see big things from the names Tyler Yelk and Jared Elliot in the upcoming decades in the college football landscape.

*Not personal at all, ST, I certainly appreciate all the work you do for this board, just a friendly -- but emphatic -- disagreement on the Nielson assessment.
Neckfansince71

Yeah, I was really upset when Bob left. Found out about it on my way home from ISU second round playoff game. I think there were a number of factors that led to his leaving including state support and his desire to become AD besides head coach. In the end, I really can't blame him. But it was just how it was done that I did not like. For some reason, Coach Fisher's leaving was different. I think he was more upfront. Can't blame him for leaving either. Gotta let it go! I love the coaching staff and the enthusiasm for Western Illinois University. It was obvious last night how together the athletic department and football team are together. The student section was filled with athletes. I don't care about Coach Bob, I just want to go to the playoffs! ;) jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:01 pmI love the coaching staff and the enthusiasm for Western Illinois University. It was obvious last night how together the athletic department and football team are together. The student section was filled with athletes.
Absolutely. There was a ton of them there and they were getting into it, especially in the first half. I saw more than a couple of football players walking around the corner by the big blow-up Rocky. It was awesome.
rocki

Does anyone know if the team is all healthy this week? Zeke Lesure took some pretty good hits last week, and it looked like Clint Ratkovich fell on the football wrong. Are they all good to go this weekend?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:42 pm Does anyone know if the team is all healthy this week? Zeke Lesure took some pretty good hits last week, and it looked like Clint Ratkovich fell on the football wrong. Are they all good to go this weekend?
Idk about Zeke, but Clint was in on the final drive against SIU. I can't remember when he fell on the ball, but I'm pretty sure it was before that. The last play where he's listed as touching the ball was a 2-yard run at the SIU 14 as we were working into position for the winning FG, so that was in the last couple of minutes. My guess is it just knocked the wind out of him and he was back in a little later. Zeke is listed as a starting WR for this weekend's game on the depth chart for this game, so it looks like he's ok to go.