WIU vs Indiana State (11/17/2018) - Senior Day

sealhall74

Curt Mallory with a win against us and one in the playoffs is a lock for the Eddie Robinson Award. There is a lot riding on this game and it will come down to which team wants it more, whch can control their emotions under stress and continue to execute for all four quarters. Their running attack will be tough on us. We need balance where offense eats up some clock with sustained drives and keeps the defense off the field as much as possible. That's no magic gameplan, just plain ol' football.
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

Just curious. Zeke dropped wayyyyyyyy too many passes last week. Was it just a clumsy week for him, or is there another reason (like some kind of injury) that is plaguing him?
letsgonecks

rocki wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:37 pm Just curious. Zeke dropped wayyyyyyyy too many passes last week. Was it just a clumsy week for him, or is there another reason (like some kind of injury) that is plaguing him?
He's been unable to hold on to a bunch of balls this year. He's made some good plays and had some good games, but hasn't turned into the receiver I hoped he'd be with his length and speed. Even the big catch down the stretch against SIU should have been caught at the high point and brought in, but instead he bobbled and luckily made a nice adjustment going to the ground.

Maybe just expecting too much after having Acklin catch everything and even with a bad arm and Lance rarely not making the catch.

We'll need everyone to play at a high level Saturday, but need a player like Zeke to play lights out and make a few extra plays.

WIU 31 - ISUb 27
rocki

I was actually expecting Zeke to come up big last year, but Jaelon worked his butt off and really made his presence known. So, yeah, I was expecting more from him this year as well. Don't know what's going on with him, but he hasn't developed like I thought he would.
Leatherneck57

rocki wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:00 pm I was actually expecting Zeke to come up big last year, but Jaelon worked his butt off and really made his presence known. So, yeah, I was expecting more from him this year as well. Don't know what's going on with him, but he hasn't developed like I thought he would.
He had a good sophomore year but I agree I think he got lost last year with Jaelon doing so well and Gaston picking up some big plays. Sometimes I think that concussion at Illinois this year has him playing a little tentative going across the middle and not looking the ball in. He’s had good games and not so good games. He was unstoppable against UNI.

Another guy we really miss is Tate. He gave us speed and another weapon. I like the Wahee kid too!
Western_101

Leatherneck57 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:41 am I say their Cinderella season comes to an end Saturday against the Leathernecks! I truly believe our boys won’t have a let down 2 weeks in a row.

If you look at their schedule they only have one big win and that was on the road against Youngstown State (and YSU was having major issues then
in the locker room and only started playing the last two weeks when their HC called them out), They beat up a D2 Quincy University for their first win since 2016, lost to a 2-8 Louisville team (who’s fired their HC...wish I would be fired and receive a $14.5 million dollar buyout), gave up 41 points to a bad Eastern Illinois team, got shut out by UNI at home 33-0, got beat by MO State at home by 3 (MO State controlled the game until the 4th qtr), beat SIU on the road by 3, beat S.D. at home in overtime and beat ISU at home by 5. SDSU most likely overlooked Indiana State because they were coming off a tough 21-17 loss to NDSU the week before. That happens a lot.

Yes we should have beat S.D. but we had our worst game of the year. It was just a bad game any way you look at it. We had ISU 16-12 heading into the 4th qtr and again had a bad qtr based on poor field position. The only game we haven’t been in was against NDSU and that wasn’t until the 4th qtr when they scored 10 points.

I like our chances this week to get the job done and get an at large bid based on finishing 3rd in the MVFC and our SOS. Finishing 3rd in the MVFC is more prestigious than finishing 2nd or 3rd in a lot of other conferences!

Go Necks!
Good post 57, lots of very solid facts. I wish the weather wasn't predicted to be be so unpleasant. Yes I know both teams have to play in the lousy weather but, it would be nice if the Seniors had a proper farewell in front of a large group.
Western_101

Maybe, I can talk the wife into letting us go. My ace card will be "well you do have all that ski gear we bought that you literally used once". Maybe that won't help my cause.

* Let me rephrase that has SEMO or ISUb ever been to the playoffs?

I think SEMO went D-I like around 1996 and have been bad forever, some interesting parallels between them and ISUb
Sycamore62

SEMO went 9-2 in about 2010 and got a 1st round bye and lost their first game in the playoffs. That was when there was a 20 team field.

Indiana St made the playoffs in 2014 and won at EKU the lost at UTC

They also made the playoffs in 1983. They beat EIU in the play in round then lost to Middle Tennessee St

In 1984 they were ranked #1 at points in the season then lost to eventual national champion SIU in their first game of the playoffs
Sycamore62

I have to assume that tickets will be available at the gate wont they?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Sycamore62 wrote:I have to assume that tickets will be available at the gate wont they?
Oh yeah, tickets won't be a problem. Small purple booth right by the gate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000